Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless issues with iMac

Options
  • 10-10-2011 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I have a relatively new iMac and have battled for the past number of months with my wireless (Eircom broadband) connection. Some days its okay, but the signal is frequently dropped or very weak. When I connect through my mobile's wireless hub, the connection isnt great either.

I have two laptops, both of which connect fine right next to my computer, and I have tried all the Eircom suggestions (change channel, switch router off and on, even had an Eircom tech come and look and have replaced the router) so I am starting to think its the computer. I have called the retailer and their only suggestion was to clear the proxies. That seemed to help slightly but Im still not happy.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or any idea whether it could even be a computer issue? Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Jamie Mac wrote: »
    I have a relatively new iMac and have battled for the past number of months with my wireless (Eircom broadband) connection. Some days its okay, but the signal is frequently dropped or very weak. When I connect through my mobile's wireless hub, the connection isnt great either.

I have two laptops, both of which connect fine right next to my computer, and I have tried all the Eircom suggestions (change channel, switch router off and on, even had an Eircom tech come and look and have replaced the router) so I am starting to think its the computer. I have called the retailer and their only suggestion was to clear the proxies. That seemed to help slightly but Im still not happy.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or any idea whether it could even be a computer issue? Thanks!

If the laptops connect without any problem then it would seem that the issue is with the imac. What security are you using? If you turn off the security does it make any difference?

I presume you have tried changing channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Jamie Mac

Hi dub45, I have tried changing channels but it doesnt seem to help. When you say security, could you tell me what you refer to? Sorry, Im not that clued up! Thanks!!

Hi dub45, I have tried changing channels but it doesnt seem to help. When you say security, could you tell me what you refer to? Sorry, Im not that clued up! Thanks!!

What security is set up in the router for your wireless network?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Just a thought - Did you run apple updates? There was a fix for wireless issus, my brother had it, updated and it fixed it, he was complaining of network drops

Hi Voodoo2, thanks for the suggestion. I run updates automatically every week so think I'm up to date but will double check. The problem has certainly been better since I cleared the proxies, but still not great. I guess that's just wireless for you! Thanks :)

• Advertisement

Just as a matter of interest why had you got proxies set up?

I actually have no clue what proxies are, but after a number of calls to Eircom I thought I better ring Mac (well CompuB) and they said that when you use wireless the computer is constantly scanning and sometimes remembers proxies (I think). And they suggested I have a look to see if this had happened, and if so, to clear them!

Advertisement