Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours smoke filling my apartment

Options
  • 10-10-2011 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey guys,
    i live in a flat here in dublin and recently it has become very uncomfortable. my two adjoining neighbours have started smoking and the smoke is filling my apartment. it seems to come in under the doors, through vents, electrical outlets, plumbing. everywhere. some days are much worse than others and when its at its worst it i actually cant even be there. i have been getting a cough, blocked nose, and my clothes and furnishings smell of smoke. its really horrible. i have spoken to my landlord and he has checked my apartment twice and assures me there is no problem. he doesnt seem to care at all.and to be honest dont think he know how to fix it. not only is this unhealthy, isnt this also a fire hazard? does anyone know my rights as a tenant? or who i can speak to get help on this issue? or any ideas on how to fix it?
    cheers
    roberto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It seems really unlikely to the extent you have descibed.

It depends on the building I guess. So is it an old building converted or a new build

Sounds like you are massively sensitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 THISISROBERTO

The building is about 100 years old and is divided into 7 apartments. And no, not massively sensitive. Just healthy and an opinionated anti-smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the smoke is filling my apartment. it seems to come in under the doors, through vents, electrical outlets, plumbing.
    Um. Through the plumbing? Really?
    isnt this also a fire hazard?
    Severly doubt it.
    or any ideas on how to fix it?
    What happens when you close the windows? Does the smoke still come in?

The windows are closed.
    The areas where the plumbing comes into the apartment are some of the areas that smell of smoke quite strongly yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Well Ive lived in a number of apartments over the years and nothing surprises me about this.

The place I currently rent, the downstairs wc door must be kept closed because otherwise whenever the lady next door smokes I can smell it. A place a few years ago in booterstown had no windows only doors out to balconies and everyone went out to the their balcony to smoke - I frequently had to open and close doors or the smell would come in. Also in the same place the main bathroom door was kept closed because every Thursday without fail the old women next door would cook something I cant even take a guess at, you could get the smell right outside her door and in my main bathroom thru the internal vents. (lol, seems hilarious now, as that was the most expensive place Ive ever rented and my option was to be driven mad from the humidity or get a headache from the smoke)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Hey guys,
    i live in a flat here in dublin and recently it has become very uncomfortable. my two adjoining neighbours have started smoking and the smoke is filling my apartment. it seems to come in under the doors, through vents, electrical outlets, plumbing. everywhere. some days are much worse than others and when its at its worst it i actually cant even be there. i have been getting a cough, blocked nose, and my clothes and furnishings smell of smoke. its really horrible. i have spoken to my landlord and he has checked my apartment twice and assures me there is no problem. he doesnt seem to care at all.and to be honest dont think he know how to fix it. not only is this unhealthy, isnt this also a fire hazard? does anyone know my rights as a tenant? or who i can speak to get help on this issue? or any ideas on how to fix it?
    cheers
    roberto

Get your retaliation in first start smoking 40 a day that will soon teach them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

It's certainly not a fire hazard - well, no more than it would be if you couldn't smell it, if they fall asleep with a fag you're in trouble obviously - but tbh I don't think there is anything can be done. My upstairs neighbour smokes a bit, and have had issues from downstairs in the past - it travels through the floor cavity and through the floorboards as far as I can guess. It's all part of the joys :rolleyes: of living in conversions. It's likely to get worse in the winter as people tend to be at home more. If I were you, I'd move.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The building is about 100 years old and is divided into 7 apartments. And no, not massively sensitive. Just healthy and an opinionated anti-smoker.
    That means overly sensitive.:rolleyes:

Only solution is to move. Older houses simply cannot be sealed in a manner that would suit you and to that fact a new build probably isn't either. Not really anything the landlord can do. Can completely see why he would not care at all. Not a fire hazzard becasue a smell can travel very easily compared to fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Not a fire hazard but it's definitely annoying, but really I don't see what you can do other than move out. These old buildings with apartments often do trap cigagette smoke and the like. I remember living in a similar building and cigarette smoke and the smell of gas were always hanging in the air. It was always uncomfortable.

Make arrangements to move out. You can't really dictate whether people smoke in other apartments or not. Would be different if it was a modern house.

Thanks lainey, thanks swirlser. Getting on the househunt methinks. In the meantime gonna give draughtproofing doors and gaps a good go.

• Advertisement

Cheers plasmaguy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

the only thing I can think of is you can try to speak to the landlord, tell him how bad it is and might point him in the direction to declare the house a non-smoking house.:)
    I once lived in such an old building converted into 4 apartments and smoking was forbidden for everybody inside the apartments.
    But probably he won't agree to it and if, don't know wether it will be a pleasurable harmonic place to live with the other tenants finding out who complained...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭zyndacyclone

To those of you who have never lived in an old house, the OP's claim is accurate. It's is amazing where smells can seep. A little shocked by your rudeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Hey guys,
    cheers
    roberto

Open a window and leave in some fresh air otherwise invest in an ioniser

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ionisers&tag=googiehydra-21&index=aps&hvadid=3951480720&ref=pd_sl_21t48kya11_b

link is just to give you an idea..

Advertisement