Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rasied veggie bed for 190 euro.You're joking me??

Options
  • 10-10-2011 5:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Please tell me where there is 190 euro in that link below??

A box of screws/nails is around 4 euro from a builders providers
    And a brand new 8 foot long pressure treated sleeper is 18 euro from a builders providers.
    An 8 foot length of pressure treated 2x3 is 5-6 euro from a builders providers

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gardenplants/1952203

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

paddy147 wrote: »
    Please tell me where there is 190 euro in that link below??

A box of screws/nails is around 4 euro from a builders providers
    And a brand new 8 foot long pressure treated sleeper is 18 euro from a builders providers.
    An 8 foot length of pressure treated 2x3 is 5-6 euro from a builders providers

phttp://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gardenplants/1952203

Yeap seen plenty of these types of deals around, selling everything from raised beds to glasshouses that wouldn't last a stiff breeze or one summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

don't think i've ever seen a bargain on done deal?! some peoples ideas of a products worth are hugely off the mark! can't see too many of those being sold :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

believe it or not , the most expensive part of that 'kit' is the topsoil blend, which runs about €100 per m3...while not trying to justify the price, if you take that out of the equation then you can see where the other costs are borne out...delivery and profit included.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

dardevle wrote: »

believe it or not , the most expensive part of that 'kit' is the topsoil blend, which runs about €100 per m3...while not trying to justify the price, if you take that out of the equation then you can see where the other costs are borne out...delivery and profit included.

Eh,more like 70 euro for a ton bag of screened topsoil with added manure.

Thats all that soil above is.Ive seen it in the flesh,and its just screened topsoil (possibly with a very small bit of manure added in)

again, while not trying to justify the asking price for something i would never be inclined to purchase myself....
    but typically speaking, a vegetable grade topsoil blend is made up of:

40% screened topsoil
    45% peatfree compost
    10% horticulture sand
    5% manure

currently these blends run anywhere from €99 to €119 per cube depending on your location and if from source or through a secondary vendor.

• Advertisement

again, while not trying to justify the asking price for something i would never be inclined to purchase myself....
    but typically speaking, a vegetable grade topsoil blend is made up of:

40% screened topsoil
    45% peatfree compost
    10% horticulture sand
    5% manure

currently these blends run anywhere from €99 to €119 per cube depending on your location and if from source or through a secondary vendor.

How is the soil screened?

i believe that the screening process usually involves a mechanical tumbler type screen , typically it would have screens in the order of 10-15mm.

when you see prices like this being charged for growing mediums it just goes to prove the worth of having good soil in the garden to begin with, or failing that - improving what you do have over time.

i believe that the screening process usually involves a mechanical tumbler type screen , typically it would have screens in the order of 10-15mm.

when you see prices like this being charged for growing mediums it just goes to prove the worth of having good soil in the garden to begin with, or failing that - improving what you do have over time.

Just filtering out the lumps? So no actual soil testing for chemical or micro analysis? Sure you could be buying brown field contaminated soil for all you know. Or soil with soil borne diseases or seed from invasive weeds. More important reasons for building up your own soil, at least then you have more control.

screening is purely the mechanical process involved in reducing the particle size (and also removing metal and glass contaminates if present)
    so i can't speak as to the lab testing that these products undergo, some are guaranteed weed free, others pH balanced, sterilised etc and if so at least offer some recourse to the customer,all be it at a premium,

.... contrast that to the number of people buying soils by the truck load, from sites all over the country for a couple of hundred € a time (average truck load 16cu ).....a real bargain:(

the bottom line is ,unless you are purchasing from a stonecold reliable source, you are entering into a lottery as to what you will end up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Also in that Ad he says he is using 200 x 100. Well that is 8" x 4" and a lot more expensive than 2" x 3" as somebody mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You can make your own 8 x 4 raised beds with 2nd hand scaffold planks. Price - about 10 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Lads, that chap is running a legit business and running a business ain't cheap. To list the cost of the materials and think that the rest goes in his back pocket is wrong. For starters, there's 21% vat included in the price which is about €33 then it also includes delivery which incures costs for diesel, insurance, maintenance, tax etc.

I bet he's not making anything like some of you think he does.

i agree completely Fred, while this is not something i would be interested in purchasing myself, it is a product that will appeal to some (aged, disabled etc) and whomever is providing the service are entitled to get a return for their effort,

i just think that in fairness, the big ticket item (soil) should be highlighted on the price list, as it was omitted from the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Lads, that chap is running a legit business and running a business ain't cheap. To list the cost of the materials and think that the rest goes in his back pocket is wrong. For starters, there's 21% vat included in the price which is about €33 then it also includes delivery which incures costs for diesel, insurance, maintenance, tax etc.

I bet he's not making anything like some of you think he does.
    Totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Ideally, screened soil should be sterilised by UV light to kill off any unwanted weeds, but I don't know what that would add to the cost?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

redser7 wrote: »
    You can make your own 8 x 4 raised beds with 2nd hand scaffold planks. Price - about 10 euros.
    i assume he meant the planks were 8"x4", not that the beds were 8'x4', in case there's any conclusion; you won't get 8"x4" scaffolding planks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Sorry for any confusion and I wasn't trying to have a go at this person. Just pointing out that there are cheap options.

So I checked this morning,in person,and that ton bag of top soil is just screened top soil with some compost mixed in,and thats it.

i assume he meant the planks were 8"x4", not that the beds were 8'x4', in case there's any conclusion; you won't get 8"x4" scaffolding planks.

A scaffold plank/board is 8 feet long,9 inches tall and 2 inches thick.

I have a few of them here in my back garden,and my girlfriend has several raised beds made out of them,on her allotment too.

Current prices for used scaffold boards/planks is around 2 euro 50 cents-3 euro for an 8 foot length.

A good few builders providers are selling 8 foot long pressure treateed sleepers for around the 18-20 euro mark.

I managed to pick up 4 brand new 8 foot long pressure treated sleepers for 50 euro the other day off of Done Deal.
    Bargain and a half.

if you add up even the figures you provided and add on the hidden extra costs to the supplier, such as vat, transport etc....
    i just don't see where the huge mark up is.

over priced comment in relation to since edited post

• Advertisement

again you say over priced, but if you add up even the figures you provided and add on the hidden extra costs to the supplier, such as vat, transport etc....i just don't see where the huge mark up is.

Ton bag of screened topsoil with some added compost...70 euro
    3 x 8 feet pressure treated sleepers (18 euro each) .......54 euro
    1 x 10 foot long 3 x 2 pressure treated wood (stakes).....7 euro
    Box of 25 long wood screws/nails.....................................3 euro

Thats a total of 134 euro

Add in 20 euro for delievery and that an all in total of 154 euro.

adding in vat @21%, puts another €32 onto that, leaving a handsome profit of €4 on each unit supplied :o

adding in vat @21%, puts another €32 onto that, leaving a handsome profit of €4 on each unit supplied :o

Eh those prices I posted above allready do include vat,thats the thing.

looks like you got yourself a bargain then by shopping around and sourcing the items youself.....of course time costs nothing when doing something for yourself.

looks like you got yourself a bargain then by shopping around and sourcing the items youself.....of course time costs nothing when doing something for yourself.

You still have to "do it yourself" in order to put this kit together.

You need a spirit level,lump hammer,screwgun,also a hand wood saw/electric sabre saw and you will have to physically put this together propperly yourself.

Its not a case of "plug and play".

So yeah,sourcing the stuff myself and at a far better price is a wize and good move.

I cannot see the point in paying well over the odds for something thats not actually worth the money thats being asked for it.

regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭s8n

What's the story with starting all your posts with .......... ?

You still have to "do it yourself in order" to put this kit together.

You need a lump hammer,screwgun,also a wood saw and you will have to physically put this together yourself.

Its not a case of "plug and play".

So yeah,sourcing the stuff myself and at a far better price is a wize and good move.

I cannot see the point in paying well over the odds for something thats not actually worth the money thats being asked for it.

regards.
    again you deserve all the plaudits, for taking the time to do your homework,finding the cheapest prices and going to different vendors to get your materials.(what price your time?)

you do realise that there is a marked difference in you giving of your time to source these materials at the best available cost for yourself, and doing it for the paying public at large...would you be willing to go to this trouble for anyone,at no profit to you and at no extra cost to them?

what you have managed to do since the op, is justify 80% of the cost on materials alone (without showing them to be well over the odds), while not even addressing the hidden costs of doing business and returning a profit from the remaining 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Are you for real Paddy. You've just proved our point :confused:

How much do you think someone should make from selling each one of those?. If someone is willing to buy all the bits a pieces themselves and put it together so be it and fair play to them.

Going by your calculations, Cost of materials less VAT = 110 Cost of product less VAT = 157. That gives a wopping profit of 47 euro BEFORE income tax, fuel, insurance etc.

Some people really haven't a clue about business costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

if you can get an idiot to pay it shur why not

• Advertisement

Are you for real Paddy. You've just proved our point :confused:

How much do you think someone should make from selling each one of those?. If someone is willing to buy all the bits a pieces themselves and put it together so be it and fair play to them.

Going by your calculations, Cost of materials less VAT = 110 Cost of product less VAT = 157. That gives a wopping profit of 47 euro BEFORE income tax, fuel, insurance etc.

Some people really haven't a clue about business costs.

Yep Fred Funk that must be it so.........thats why the various well established gardening companies and builders providers who charge the prices to the public,including vat,that I have posted,clearly dont know about business or running a business either.

Oh,and Im not going by "my calculatins" at all.

Im going by the real and lower price that many other people/companies charge the public for these products.

But according to you and you,re post,sure what would some people and companies know,eh??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement