Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rasied veggie bed for 190 euro.You're joking me??

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

if you can get an idiot to pay it shur why not

People are alot more alert and money conscious these days.But there will allways be the odd few that think they are geting a great deal.

Ah well,their financial loss,at the end of the day.

dardevle wrote: »
    again you deserve all the plaudits, for taking the time to do your homework,finding the cheapest prices and going to different vendors to get your materials.(what price your time?)

you do realise that there is a marked difference in you giving of your time to source these materials at the best available cost for yourself, and doing it for the paying public at large...would you be willing to go to this trouble for anyone,at no profit to you and at no extra cost to them?

what you have managed to do since the op, is justify 80% of the cost on materials alone (without showing them to be well over the odds), while not even addressing the hidden costs of doing business and returning a profit from the remaining 20%.

I live in the real world and it doesnt take a genius to see that that kit is over priced on all aspects.Open your eyes up and have even just a quick look around,and you will see for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Are you for real Paddy. You've just proved our point :confused:

How much do you think someone should make from selling each one of those?. If someone is willing to buy all the bits a pieces themselves and put it together so be it and fair play to them.

Going by your calculations, Cost of materials less VAT = 110 Cost of product less VAT = 157. That gives a wopping profit of 47 euro BEFORE income tax, fuel, insurance etc.

Some people really haven't a clue about business costs.

Fred - you're absolutely right. Some people just don't have a clue how to use a level never mind run a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Fred - you're absolutely right. Some people just don't have a clue how to use a level never mind run a business.

:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I dont know anywhere you could buy an 8x4 sleeper for 18 euro:confused:

kadman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Simply put, the mark up of products in this country is scandalous, maybe we could all benefit from shopping around a little instead of going by what a few businesses would like us to 'think'. So far as running a business, customers should be valued, not financially taken advantage of.

muckyhands wrote: »
    Simply put, the mark up of products in this country is scandalous, maybe we could all benefit from shopping around a little instead of going by what a few businesses would like us to 'think'. So far as running a business, customers should be valued, not financially taken advantage of.

Do you think he's ripping people off by charging €190?

Do you think he's ripping people off by charging €190?

IMO I think its a bit much to pay for a few bits of timber and soil etc.. I wouldn't pay it myself but nobody ever said he is ripping people off. If someone is happy to part with the extra cash then fair enough:)

IMO I think its a bit much to pay for a few bits of timber and soil etc.. I wouldn't pay it myself but nobody ever said he is ripping people off. If someone is happy to part with the extra cash then fair enough:)

But you're not just paying for 'a few bits of timber and soil'. You're also paying for delivery, VAT and all the other things listed previously on thread. If you were to get one ton of screened soil delivered yourself, how much would that cost? And I'll ask you the same question that Paddy avoided, how much do you think he should make per item?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

paddy147 wrote: »
    I live in the real world and it doesnt take a genius to see that that kit is over priced on all aspects.Open your eyes up and have even just a quick look around,and you will see for yourself.

again the claim of 'overpriced' without actually backing it up, perhaps you could give us a what you consider to be a reasonable price for this product and then also a breakdown of this price as it would apply to the realities of doing business, things like premises rental, wages, equipment/machinery, insurances,vehicle wear and tear,road tax etc etc....

what you actually need to realise here is that the costs of doing business are not the same as you nickel and diming you way to building a raised bed and while you personally may not be prepared to pay the asking price of the product - this does not equate to calling it 'overpriced' and a 'joke' while providing a link to it, on a public forum (perhaps to the detriment of the business) .

• Advertisement

again the claim of 'overpriced' without actually backing it up, perhaps you could give us a what you consider to be a reasonable price for this product and then also a breakdown of this price as it would apply to the realities of doing business, things like premises rental, wages, equipment/machinery, insurances,vehicle wear and tear,road tax etc etc....

what you actually need to realise here is that the costs of doing business are not the same as you nickel and diming you way to building a raised bed and while you personally may not be prepared to pay the asking price of the product - this does not equate to calling it 'overpriced' and a 'joke' while providing a link to it, on a public forum (perhaps to the detriment of the business) .

I have allready stated it,and have told you that the prices include vat too.But you seem to think vat is not included.

Done Deal,various gardening companies and builders providers/yards sell these products at those prices to the public,vat included.

I dont see the point in paying out more and over the odds for something that still requires alot of effort and diy on the customers part to be put together.

If the sleeper bed was put together for you in you,re garden when delievered then it would be worth 190 euro,but the fact that its not makes spending 190 euro on it over the odds and overpriced.

Why anyone would pay more for something is beyond me,buy hey,some people like to throw money away,and still think they got a good deal.Thats not me though,and especially in this current climate.

Keen pricing and competing with other business,es on price,is how to win customers and keep their custom too.

Regards

But you're not just paying for 'a few bits of timber and soil'. You're also paying for delivery, VAT and all the other things listed previously on thread. If you were to get one ton of screened soil delivered yourself, how much would that cost? And I'll ask you the same question that Paddy avoided, how much do you think he should make per item?

Fred,you asked Muckyhands a simple question,and the Mucky answered you back directly.

If you cant or wont accpet an answer,then dont post or ask a question,when you wont accept what the person says.

Muckyhands is just as much entitled to his/her opinion,without you telling them that they are wrong,just because you dont like the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I think the point is why you'd bother spending 190 euro and a lot of time and energy growing maybe 30 euro worth of veg when you could buy at least three month's worth of veg from Lidl for the same price.

Fred,you asked Muckyhands a simple question,and the Mucky answered you back directly.

If you cant or wont accpet an answer,then dont post or ask a question,when you wont accept what the person says.

Muckyhands is just as much entitled to his/her opinion,without you telling them that they are wrong,just because you dont like the reply.

Paddy, your posts make little sense to me. You started this thread stating that its a joke how much this lad was charging for his product. Myself and others have explained some of the expenses involved in running a business but you ignored those points and rabbled on about opinions.
    If you had asked if it was a fair price then the thread would have had a different tone but that's not your style paddy. Most threads started by you have an aggressive tone and when you're proved wrong you're not man enough to admit you were wrong.

Paddy, your posts make little sense to me. You started this thread stating that its a joke how much this lad was charging for his product. Myself and others have explained some of the expenses involved in running a business but you ignored those points and rabbled on about opinions.
    If you had asked if it was a fair price then the thread would have had a different tone but that's not your style paddy. Most threads started by you have an aggressive tone and when you're proved wrong you're not man enough to admit you were wrong.

Fred,you clearly cannot accept an answer from anyone,unless its what you want or expect to hear.Its very clear to see and read too.

Keen pricing and competing with other business,es on price,is how to win customers and keep their custom too.

Regards

You have much first hand experience? If so perhaps you'd give examples.

IMO, price is only one aspect of the proposition and rarely the determining one. But it might be different for 'nickel and dime' business/customer types.

You have much first hand experience? If so perhaps you'd give examples.

IMO, price is only one aspect of the proposition and rarely the determining one. But it might be different for 'nickel and dime' business/customer types.

Let me ask you Sonnenblumen......how much do you charge a customer for supply only of a new pressure treated sleeper and a ton bag of screened/composted top soil???

You seem to have a "look down you,re nose" attitude towards people that wont pay top dollar,your attitude is that "if its not top dollar then its cheap and crap".And how wrong you are.

You are a fully qualified professional horticulturalist,or are you?????

Paddy, you were asked several times in this thread how much you thought was an appropriate price for his product. You still haven't given an answer. Your clear lack of business understanding is very obvious.
    Let me ask you Sonnenblumen....how much do you charge a customer for a new pressure trested sleeper and a ton bag ot screened/composted top soil???

You seem to have a "look down you,re nose" attitude towards people that wont pay top dollar,your attitude is that "if its not top dollar then its cheap and crap".And how wrong you are.

Oh and you are a fully qualified professional horticulturalist,or are you???

Like most things, you get what you pay for.

Paddy, you were asked several times in this thread how much you thought was an appropriate price for his product. You still haven't given an answer. Your clear lack of business understanding is very obvious.

yeah,indeed you get what you pay for when its supply only.

You can pay more or you can pay alot less for the exact same products that does the same thing,its down to whether you like to still have some more money in your back pocket or not.

Let the man "sonnenblumen" answer the question I have asked him about his supply price for a railway sleeper.

And the other horticultural question too.

P.S-My lack of business understand you say???Eh no,far from it,as I have posted about allready.

You need to wake up and cop on to the fact that there quite a few reputable well established companies out there,who can sell and trade at far lower prces and still get plenty of regular and new business and profit,by not over charging for a product,and by keeping a customer happy with the pricing

Fred Funk,you tell me where you can get these products at a lower price right now then?Post the prices for the individual items,go on,do it.

You like to talk alot about pricing,and vat and delievery costs,but you havent posted a SINGLE PRICE for anything yet.Yoiu have not justified anything you have said or tried to say,all you do is talking on and on,and trying to say/justify that paying a higher price is fine.

You also cant seem to accept an answer to anything that you ask anyone.

Again,if you dont like the answer and are not perpared to accept another persons answer,then why bother asking the person a question??

Why is that you cant or wont post a price and you then will not accept a persons answer,when you ask them a question (referal to how you treated Muckyhands here so far)???????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Fred Funk,you tell me where you can get these products at a lower price right now then?Post the prices for the individual items,go on,do it.

You like to talk alot about pricing,and vat and delievery costs,but you havent posted a SINGLE PRICE for anything yet.

Why is that???????????

^^^^^^

nonsense!

^^^^^^

nonsense!

Let him answer the question on both counts,with regards prices and also non acceptenace of an answer when he asks a question to another member/poster.

Because I can very easily name 2 well established Dublin companies here,who can provide and deliever to my house all the previously mentioned gardening products for alot less than 190 euro,with vat included and free delievery too.

Let me ask you Sonnenblumen......how much do you charge a customer for supply only of a new pressure treated sleeper and a ton bag of screened/composted top soil???

You are a fully qualified professional horticulturalist,or are you?????

:o

One tonne screened topsoil 75euro
    Pressure treated sleepers 17.50 each so 52.50 for three
    Twelve foot length of 3 by 2 for stakes 6.90
    Box of wood screws 4euro

Thats 138.40 all in and Includes delivery and VAT

Prices from Grange builder providers- A BUSINESS that has ALREADY made a profit less their running costs etc AND includes VAT.

So what is the remaining 51.60 paying for?

I think this is the point that is trying to be made.

And all the time it took me was one phonecall...

But sure I'm only a girl, what would I know:rolleyes:

Oh and heres my 4 new pressure treated sleepers.

Oh yeah,they must be so crap and bad,because I just purchased them on the "dime and nickel" cheap...(eh sonnenblumen :rolleyes:).

Box of wood screws 4euro

Prices from Grange builder providers- A BUSINESS that has ALREADY made a profit less their running costs etc AND includes VAT.

Bit of a difference.Thanks for posting that

I was just about to mention them and Newtown Builders Providers too.

Newtown Builders Providers in Coolock.

Free delievery on orders over 50 euro.All prices include vat

8 foot long Railways sleepers 20 euro each,so thats 3 at 60 euro

Ton bag of screened/composted topsoil is 70 euro

8 foot length of pressure treated 3.5 x 2 is 3 euro 17 cents,2 lengths is 6 euro 34 cents

Box of long wood screws or nails is 5 euro

Total,including vat is just a shade over 141 euro delivered.

Big difference again.

But these well established and long running companies obviously know nothing about profit margins or making a business work,as some people would have you believe,or like you to believe.

Box of wood screws 4euro

Pity you didn't ask Grange for: 1 tonne Blended Vegetable Topsoil, Sleepers x 4 pieces (2full lengths and 2 cut pieces), Stakes x 8 pre-cut and a copy of easy to follow assembly instructions.

I'm not sure if Grange do offer a cutting service.

Pity you didn't ask Grange for: 1 tonne Blended Vegetable Topsoil, Sleepers x 4 pieces (2full lengths and 2 cut pieces), Stakes x 8 pre-cut and a copy of easy to follow assembly instructions.

I'm not sure if Grange do offer a cutting service.

Crikey my eyes have just been opened

I can now clearly see what 51.60 is paying for:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

:o

Pity you cant properly read and digest the entire thread and my posts 1st (especially posts 5 and 25),before opening your mouth with your random smart ar5e comments.
    And you also cant answer anything you are asked.

Are you going to answer the questions I asked you or are you not going to answer me and waddle off ignoring/avoiding me,again??

Name/post your supply only price for a pressure treated sleeper and are you a fully qualified professional horticulturalist,or not????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement