Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rasied veggie bed for 190 euro.You're joking me??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

This thread has brightened up my day :)

So essentially we're arguing over €50. You guys think that they're chancers for selling a product where the main components can be got for cheaper elsewhere. Agreed?

So your average person, without any carpentry skills, orders from one of the places you ordered from.

Where will they get the know-how?

How will they cut the sleepers?

How will they know how to assemble a vegetable bed?

How will they cut the stakes?

All that might seem simple to some DIY'ers but to your average Joe it's not.

So for €50 they will get it delivered ready to assemble, without any heavy duty cutting, no need to buy any power tools and with step by step instructions and no messy off cuts or saw dust to clean up.
    It's a no-brainer.

Another classic 'Paddy thread' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

muckyhands wrote: »
    Crikey my eyes have just been opened

I can now clearly see what 51.60 is paying for:rolleyes:

This is a bizarre thread as it seems to be trying to equate the cost of buying materials for a product versus purchasing the finished product. Whatever one thinks of the profit margin why are people getting so exercised about the fact that a guy is buying the materials, making the product and adding a profit. If you don't want to pay the profit then buy the materials and use your own labour save the profit and buy yourself a few pints - everyones happy.

In addition, I saw a thread here today which asked what you should give a guy doing a nixer of filling a hole in a wall - about a hours work. The consensus was €50. Q is which is more value - the hour or so labour to fill a hole in a wall or the amount of time gathering the materials for this vegetable box and putting it all together before delivering it. I think I know but then again that's my opinion:)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

creedp wrote: »
    This is a bizarre thread as it seems to be trying to equate the cost of buying materials for a product versus purchasing the finished product. Whatever one thinks of the profit margin why are people getting so exercised about the fact that a guy is buying the materials, making the product and adding a profit. If you don't want to pay the profit then buy the materials and use your own labour save the profit and buy yourself a few pints - everyones happy.

In addition, I saw a thread here today which asked what you should give a guy doing a nixer of filling a hole in a wall - about a hours work. The consensus was €50. Q is which is more value - the hour or so labour to fill a hole in a wall or the amount of time gathering the materials for this vegetable box and putting it all together before delivering it. I think I know but then again that's my opinion:)

I think it is more to do with determining price rather than profit margin and not looking at some of the factors that determine pricing such as

The timing- the height of a recession and not factoring the current climate into the price.

The target customer- yes there is market demand for the product as more people are growing their own food- but the target customer is trying to save money.

Thats what I can gather from this anyways and IMO paddy147 does have a valid point:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

who'd have thunk that the price of a veg bed could be so controversial?

Sign of the times I guess:D

• Advertisement

You have much first hand experience? If so perhaps you'd give examples.

IMO, price is only one aspect of the proposition and rarely the determining one. But it might be different for 'nickel and dime' business/customer types.

I think you will find in the height of recession price IS the biggest determining factor, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I think you will find in the height of recession price IS the biggest determining factor, IMO.

Much more important to be able to distinguish between value and cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

It is about value,yet you cant seem to see that in a recession,thats the main driving factor.Value for money and cost.

So why wont you answer my 2 questions then Sonenblumen,eh???

"Supply only" price for a pressure treated sleeper,and are you a fully qualified horticulturalist or not????

So why dont you put you,re money where you,re mouth is and stop avoiding answering me..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

paddy147 wrote: »
    It is about value,yet you cant seem to see that in a recession,thats the main driving factor.Value for money and cost.

So why wont you asnwer my 2 questions then Sonenblumen,eh???

"Supply only" price for a pressure treated sleeper,and are you a fully qualified horticulturalist or not????

So why dont you put you,re money where you,re mouth is and stop avoiding answering me..

Pity you didn't spend more attention in spelling class.

Pity you didn't spend more attention in spelling class.

Is that all you have to say,is that the best you have??

Why cant you answer the 2 simple questions I have asked you???

Stop avoiding it and answer the questions you have been asked.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »

So why wont you asnwer my 2 questions then Sonenblumen,eh???

Jesus Paddy, you're a gas man. You have a neck like a jockeys bollix. You've avoided questions all day and yet you give out about another posted avoiding questions.

This thread had well and truly run its course.

Jesus Paddy, you're a gas man.You have a neck like a jockeys bollix. You've avoided questions all day and yet you give out about another posted avoiding questions.

You got the prices from 2 different members here,with vat included and delievery costs too,from 2 well known and established companies,who know how to make a profit and trade very well,with regards costings,in this tough financial climate/recession.

Now,you have accused 2 members here (myself and also Muckyhands too),of avoiding answering you and not knowing,yet you got very specific costings and breakdowns in reply to your comments

Try reading what you yourself have posted to these 2 members and asked them and accused them of,before you come back here with abusive language and comments.

You might actually understand the replies and learn something,instead of thinking that you know it all.You dont seem to be able to give you,re own costings or breakdowns on this topic/matter yourself,can you,because I have yet to read them and see them from a company that you deal with or know of.
    I could ask you all the same questions about prices and costings,but I know you cant answer me back,as you dont know yourself.All you,re posts so far here have shown this to be the case.

It would also be nice is Sonnenblumen could answer the 2 simple questions,instead of posting smart bitchy comments and then running off and hiding every time he is asked to answer the 2 questions.

Why wont you or why cant you give a "supply only" price for a new pressure treated sleeper and why wont you answer about whether you are a fully qualified professional horticulturalist??

You are very quick to mock and very quick to run and hide,so why not be very quick to actually answer the 2 questions??

What have you got to loose or hide?????

OMG Read post 64 again-

VERY VERY SLOWLY

Then you just might manage to grasp the point paddy147 has been trying very hard to make and that I couldn't have put any simpler:eek:

Out of interest, what would you charge for said product "supply only" pressure treated railway sleeper, to your seemingly upmarket clientele in view of all that has been so simply put to you?

Further to that do you think it is it good business to limit your customer base- basing your pricing solely on perceived value rather than actual value??

Businessman?????

Jesus Paddy, you're a gas man. You have a neck like a jockeys bollix. You've avoided questions all day and yet you give out about another posted avoiding questions.

In other words you finally got the point that was being made- just won't admit it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

could everyone please stop posting to this thread? it makes the baby jesus cry.

could everyone please stop posting to this thread? it makes the baby jesus cry.

:D

Why though?

Its all very relevent and makes for enthusiastic debate and opinions on current market conditions,pricing and customers unwillingness to part with money readily nowadays (post Celtic Tiger Era).But "some people" dont seem to be able to hold an intellectual debate,with regards this matter and the points raised here.

It would be nice to actually read Sonnenblumens answers to the various simple questions he has been asked of him,by 2 different members now.

Surely he can answer these questions from myself and muckyhands,on "supply only" price,being a horticulturalist,current costings which actually reflect the current climate and customer base.

If a person is quick to judge others and question others,then surely that person also has a responsibility to answer questions that he himself is asked of,by other members.

paddy, do you really care what his answer is? if you do, you need to ask yourself why you care so much about the opinion of someone you don't know.

trust me, i've had plenty of arguments online. it's a waste of time.

In other words you finally got the point that was being made- just won't admit it

'just when you think you're out, they drag you back in'

I haven't the will or energy to fight your and Paddy's inability to comprehend reason and debate, in short, you two are wrecking my head. Leave me alone, I'm going to bed. Night night.

I haven't the will or energy to fight your and Paddy's inability to comprehend reason and debate, in short, you two are wrecking my head. Leave me alone, I'm going to bed. Night night.

Night Fred,sleep well.

P.S-If you actually read up again you would see that Muckyhands readily and willingly posted here with costings and specific and realistic views of the current market and business,customer bases with regards the recession.A rather knowledgeable and clued in person indeed in this sector,from reading the posts submitted.

• Advertisement

paddy, do you really care what his answer is? if you do, you need to ask yourself why you care so much about the opinion of someone you don't know.

trust me, i've had plenty of arguments online. it's a waste of time.

Well some of us do care and are intrigued

Theres no pont in mocking someone and then running off and and hiding,when you cant or wont answer a few simple questions,that are very relevant to this topic.

He wants to comment,and is quick to comment rather smartly and pointlessly on pricing,and a customer and business being "nickel and dime" with regards business skills,so why cant he comment on what he has been asked by us here??

Whats has he got to lose or hide????

Thought I was going to bed too, however

This has clearly been a simple debate regarding product pricing in the current economic climate that was misunderstood by "some people"

Night Fred, sweet dreams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

chinese-handbags.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Eyes bleeding. Will to live fading. Grass.....overgrowing.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement