Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrist risk in skiing and snowboarding

Options
  • 10-10-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

OK, I have been told no sports or heavy lifting for 13 weeks by a doctor due to a wrist injury. I had already booked a Austrian holiday for straight after that and I was wondering which sport to do. I am already a reasonable skiier but I was thinking about trying snowboarding just to see what it is like. I havent booked either yet. Which sport is more likely that I will land hard on my wrist? Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Get a wrist protector or gloves with one one built in might make your decision easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Boarding, you can take plenty of precautions like wrist guards etc. But you will while learning be sitting around and placing your body weight leaning back on your hands on a board.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭King John The Last

I was thinking boarding, no ski poles. If anyone thinks skiing though, id like to hear your side of the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Wrist injuries are common enough in learning how to board, as you tend to fall back a good bit and use your hands to stop your ass taking a pounding!
    I seriously think you'd be better off on skis this time, just to safe! I tried skiing once, and was bombing around in no time, and the few falls I had were of the tumble variety and as such less of a shock to wrists etc.

Edit: and my ass and wrists were quite sore after learning to board. I'm actually off for my pre-op assessment on my wrist tomorrow, due to a combination of activities, including boarding, so, there you go . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TheoBane

Skiing i think will be best, if you have a bad fall when on a snowboard and you land on your hand wrong you might break something again. Though wrist protecters would help, but its still going to hurt.

What type of wrist injury do you have?

• Advertisement

Ski poles dont cause that many wrist injuries!

Bad pole planting causes wrist injuries but I rarely hear of people injuring their wrists while skiing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I don’t think I’ve ever fallen on my wrists while skiing? I find it tends to be two types of falls – you’re at speed so it’s a bit of a full body plant. Or else you’re just mooching without thinking and have more of a controlled ‘sit’. Snowboarding is all about your wrists, knees and bottom, without a doubt if you’re worried about your wrists, skiing is the safer option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Skiing. Learning to board has a lot falling, and of those falls probably a third will be hands out faceplants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Skiing. Learning to board has a lot falling, and of those falls probably a third will be hands out faceplants.

Buy wrist guards, I find my ones to be invaluable

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

You say you are already a skier so why not just ski. Seems a bit silly to risk making your recovering injury worse by learning a new sport. Save it until you are 100% next season and enjoy your skiing.

Someone I know when learning to board had black and blue arms from the wrist up to the elbow - nice pretty colours but very painful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Its a no brainer.... ski

We have a winner.:D Where can I get these wrist protectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Jesus i had to read the title of this thread 5 times before i said it properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Boarding falls a re 25% more likely to result in wrist injuries -
    I skied two weeks after getting plaster off from broken wrist without any great problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Skyhawk

I was thinking boarding, no ski poles. If anyone thinks skiing though, id like to hear your side of the argument.

Proper use of ski poles should have no great impact on your wrists, so if you are a decent skier, stick to the planks :-)

It would be a good idea to wear wrist support, as even though the impact may be minor, the repetitive movement of the wrist joints may cause distress (but I doubt it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Skyhawk wrote: »
    Proper use of ski poles should have no great impact on your wrists, so if you are a decent skier, stick to the planks :-)

It would be a good idea to wear wrist support, as even though the impact may be minor, the repetitive movement of the wrist joints may cause distress (but I doubt it).

I have been in the position of skiing after having plaster cast on my hand removed and getting wrists functioning normally is part of rehab, I suggest using guards which restrict movement is probably not the best idea. However best option is to ask whatever medical person the individual is dealing with.

We have a winner.:D Where can I get these wrist protectors?

I was in Tog24 in Kildare Outlet today and they had gloves there with built in wrist protectors. Think they were about 25 quid.

Rew wrote: »
    I was in Tog24 in Kildare Outlet today and they had gloves there with built in wrist protectors. Think they were about 25 quid.

Would most sport shops in Austria have them? I will be going to Zell an Zee. Also, I didnt break my wrist, I tore a ligament and a small piece of bone came off as well. The doctor gave me a total recovery time of 13 weeks.

Not sure but id imagine there fairly widely available, im sure you could get them online before then

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Gloves with wrist support in should be pretty easy to find, would only really be used by boarders though no reason why a skiier recovering from an injury shouldn't wear them as well. If only for the psychological benefit of reminding you to be careful with yourself.

• Advertisement

Wrist supports in gloves can make it difficult for skiers to hold poles properly.

Tog 23 ones are really good quality noticed them in Kildare myself a few weeks ago.

Best advice is not to be worrying or focusing on your wrists, just ski or board. and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭I dont know

Hi OP, I’ve broke both my wrists playing football.
    Broke my last one last September, and went snowboarding the first week of feb – my wrist was still pretty sore at this stage
    Got myself a pair of wrist guards online for around £15 and they were a great job, after a day or so on the slopes I wasn’t afraid at all to go down my weaker wrist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Wrist protectors, or gloves with them built in only reduce the risk of injury, not eliminate it, and as you are in recovery, trusting a bit of plastic to prevent damage to a weakened wrist in a sport where learning is high risk, particularly to wrists, is madness imo. My two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Skiboarding!! Best of both worlds, no back and forth (ass, face) wrist damaging falls (you tend to fall sideways on skis) and you can wear wrist protectors.

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/

Advertisement