Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Eireann routes 109/109A Changes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

malene wrote: »
    Got the nitelinik @ 3.30a.m on Friday and was charged €13.50 from a private bus company, then on Saturday, it was back to 11.50 as per usual. Same driver, I said nothing, but next time be wary, it's only €11.50.

Hi Malene,

if you ever miss the 3.30am bus for Navan and need to get to the airport to get the 5.20 109A bus back to Navan, I just thought to mention that Aircoach run buses every half hour to Dublin Airport from their bus stop at the top half of O'Connell Street, on the opposite side of the street from the Gresham Hotel.

The fare is 7 euros. I didn't realise until recently that Aircoach ran such a frequent service during the night from the city centre to the airport.

http://www.aircoach.ie/table.routes.dublin.citycentre.php

I saw that the link to the aircoach Dublin city centre - Dublin airport timetable, that I included in my message the other day, doesn't work, since it is the page from before they updated their website.

I couldn't edit that post, so here is the correct link

http://www.aircoach.ie/timetables/route-700-dublin-airport-dublin-city-centre

they run every 30 minutes from midnight to 4.30am and then every 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

Had an incident on the 8 p.m bus. It pulled out but managed to stop it just before it went past the front of Busaras. Driver stopped, open doors, I politely asked for a one way ticket to Navan and had about 14 euro on me (tenner and coins). He ABSOLUTELY REFUSED to sell me a ticket, saying he wasn't going to sell a ticket? Did Bus Eireann stop selling tickets on buses?? He was Eastern European, in his 30's I'd say with very short black hair. I was absolutely humiliated, and had to get off the bus again. I mentioned it to another guy and they said they know him and know what he's like. Seriously, can B.E not sack arrogant (fill in the blank) from the company. I was DENIED entry on a bus, not for being rude, abusive, intoxicated, but because he DIDN'T want to sell me a ticket. I really fuming over this right now. Arrogant people with personality problems should NOT be allowed to drive buses. Foreign or Irish.

Had an incident on the 8 p.m bus. It pulled out but managed to stop it just before it went past the front of Busaras. Driver stopped, open doors, I politely asked for a one way ticket to Navan and had about 14 euro on me (tenner and coins). He ABSOLUTELY REFUSED to sell me a ticket, saying he wasn't going to sell a ticket? Did Bus Eireann stop selling tickets on buses?? He was Eastern European, in his 30's I'd say with very short black hair. I was absolutely humiliated, and had to get off the bus again. I mentioned it to another guy and they said they know him and know what he's like. Seriously, can B.E not sack arrogant (fill in the blank) from the company. I was DENIED entry on a bus, not for being rude, abusive, intoxicated, but because he DIDN'T want to sell me a ticket. I really fuming over this right now. Arrogant people with personality problems should NOT be allowed to drive buses. Foreign or Irish.

You'd have to wonder why he even stopped if he wasn't going to sell a ticket, or even consider the possibility that you were about to buy a ticket.

What often occurs is that as a bus pulls out of the gate area, once it closes its doors and starts moving, a passenger may come out to the bus just as it is leaving.

Even if the driver sees the passenger, he may not stop and reopen the doors to allow the passenger on. That happened to me recently at gate 7 where the driver indicated he would not reopen the door and let me on.

I was speaking to an inspector about it and he gave me a fair and reasonable explanation that it was a health and safety measure. I understand from his explanation, that it is done to ensure that anyone looking to get on are not too close to the bus while it is moving or reversing when it is pulling out of the bus station.

I mention this to say that it is the only reason I can think of that he may not have let you on, but in your case he stopped the bus giving you the impression he was about to let you board the bus.

Did you stop him outside the main entrance?

yes, it was outside the main entrance, not within the gates of Busaras itself. The fecker was actually working today and was at market Square in Navan at 2.00, thankfully I wasn't going on board, but man, I felt like mouthing off to him for being a complete jerk. I've complained to Bus Eireann about it and will see what they say, if anything.

By stopping and then deciding to not sell you a ticket, he delayed you getting home by at least 30 minutes, and having to wait for the next bus at 8.30pm.

It's hard to understand why he stopped at all, if he wasn't going to let you buy a ticket. He could hardly say that he'd only allow you on if it only meant using a return ticket.

Most of the drivers are very accommodating when passengers stop them in situations where they almost miss the bus.

But it's incidents like what happened to you, that can turn people off using buses daily to and from Dublin. It probably takes passengers having one negative experience, that determines how frequently, in the future, they use a bus service.

Considering that, I'd imagine Bus Éireann will look into it and respond to you.

By stopping and then deciding to not sell you a ticket, he delayed you getting home by at least 30 minutes, and having to wait for the next bus at 8.30pm.

It's hard to understand why he stopped at all, if he wasn't going to let you buy a ticket. He could hardly say that he'd only allow you on if it only meant using a return ticket.

Most of the drivers are very accommodating when passengers stop them in situations where they almost miss the bus.

But it's incidents like what happened to you, that can turn people off using buses daily to and from Dublin. It probably takes passengers having one negative experience, that determines how frequently, in the future, they use a bus service.

Considering that, I'd imagine Bus Éireann will look into it and respond to you.

NO response yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

NO response yet.

It's highly unlikely you'll get a response. BE are terrible with complaints.

In the unlikely event that you do get a response it will be a load of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,077 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Either way - I would be patient - given this is the Christmas holiday period, the relevant people could be on leave.

hi malene

just wondering if you got a response yet from Bus Éireann

• Advertisement

yes, it was outside the main entrance, not within the gates of Busaras itself. The fecker was actually working today and was at market Square in Navan at 2.00, thankfully I wasn't going on board, but man, I felt like mouthing off to him for being a complete jerk. I've complained to Bus Eireann about it and will see what they say, if anything.

Just an update on this. They have replied and I do give them credit for that and are aware of the driver in question. Hopefully he'll be removed.

Just an update on this. They have replied and I do give them credit for that and are aware of the driver in question. Hopefully he'll be removed.

thanks for the update

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

Different year, same service from what I've seen on first week back. 5.30 was full and gone and people left behind on Tuesday. 6.30 was full and gone at 6.29 yesterday and this morning on the 7.20 express, by 7.20 from what I could see there was only one bus on the square. it picked up about 10 in Johnstown and was full, leaving circa 25 people there at 7.25, I hope a second bus came along promptish.

As regards this review and service adjustments in the greater Dublin area, I hope its not the case, but can only assume at this stage that its been and gone and the R109 route isnt been altered or amended.

From what I have seen the private buses still arent LEAP enabled, so free travel is still available to all!

Bus Eireann - consistency in a world gone mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I got the 11am 109 from Cavan on the Sunday after Christmas. According to the timetable it is meant to be in Busarus for 13.10. At 13.35 we were only at the Halfway House. 1.50 before we were at Busarus.

I was coming back to Cavan that night so got the 8.30 bus from Busarus. 10.30pm and it was only arriving in Virginia. The timetable does not bear any resemblance to reality.

gazzer wrote: »
    I got the 11am 109 from Cavan on the Sunday after Christmas. According to the timetable it is meant to be in Busarus for 13.10. At 13.35 we were only at the Halfway House. 1.50 before we were at Busarus.

I was coming back to Cavan that night so got the 8.30 bus from Busarus. 10.30pm and it was only arriving in Virginia. The timetable does not bear any resemblance to reality.

I guess the reason that the bus sometimes arrives at the final destination later than stated on the timetable is because of the traffic that is encountered going to and from Dublin city centre.

For example, any time I have taken the 109A buses from Navan at different times, the journey time to the airport has been pretty much the same. They arrived at the airport shortly before 20 past the hour, around 15 minutes past the hour, which is the time they are due there. It then leaves the airport at 20 past the hour to return to Kells.

I imagine it is able to keep to the printed timetable times because it is not dealing with the same heavy volume of traffic going to the city centre.

Another example is that, I find that the 109 buses that start in Kells at 15 minutes past the hour generally arrive in Navan shortly before 35 past the hour, which is the time that they are due to pick up in Navan.

But generally, the 109 buses that leave Cavan on the hour - even though it says on the timetable that its due in Navan at 5 past the hour - arrive at Navan around 10 past or 15 minutes past the next hour.

These buses generally get into O'Connell St at 20 past or 25 past the hour.

(for example the 109 that leaves Cavan at 5pm gets to Navan around 6.10-6.15pm and gets to O'Connell St around 7.25pm)

I think it is slightly later than listed on the timetable as a result of the distance and traffic that the drivers encounter on the route from Cavan into Virginia Kells and Navan and then often there is heavy traffic at the Phibsborough Church area heading into Dublin and also heading home.

Let the rant begin. Came up to Dublin Saturday, one way ticket to Blanch as I was getting the 3.30 109N later which usually arrives on the slip road at about 3.50-4:0 a.m.

IT NEVER CAME THROUGH THE SLIP ROAD! I waited until about 4.30 and realized it wasn't coming, had to hail a taxi and that cost me €50. Its an absolute disgrace, not coming at a stop on a route and leaving the person stranded. I'm mailing BE now, is there a chance I'll get my €50. Problem is I paid cash and no receipt to prove it. I'll mail them anyway.

M

One hour Fourty Minutes on the 5.30 slow coach to Navan yesterday. Went out the via Cabra to pick up one individual. Nearly would have been safer waiting for the 6.30 express.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Let the rant begin. Came up to Dublin Saturday, one way ticket to Blanch as I was getting the 3.30 109N later which usually arrives on the slip road at about 3.50-4:0 a.m.

IT NEVER CAME THROUGH THE SLIP ROAD! I waited until about 4.30 and realized it wasn't coming, had to hail a taxi and that cost me €50. Its an absolute disgrace, not coming at a stop on a route and leaving the person stranded. I'm mailing BE now, is there a chance I'll get my €50. Problem is I paid cash and no receipt to prove it. I'll mail them anyway.

M

How could they possibly give you a refund? Sure everyone could just use the same story, without a receipt you've no chance.

How could they possibly give you a refund? Sure everyone could just use the same story, without a receipt you've no chance.

There is a case to be made considering the bus did not pick up at the bus stop, as it should have done. Blanchardstown is listed as a pick up point on the 109N.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1293185310-109N.pdf

Can the Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL) tracking system be used to determine the route the bus followed on Saturday night? If it could, malene will have a strong case, regarding the question of having confidence in relying on the bus to stop at Blanchardstown.

On a press release on buseireann.ie from April 2010 on the introduction of real time information, a description of the AVL system states:

"Real-time information tells customers exactly when the next bus is due to arrive, as distinct from the scheduled time of arrival, which can be distorted due to congestion, road works, diversions and adverse weather conditions".

"The system uses Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL) technology, which is underpinned by Global Positioning System (GPS) technology, to track the movements of individual buses and then calculates how far the vehicle is from its next destination".

http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=851&month=Apr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Dr Robotnik

gazzer wrote: »

I was having a look at the route planner on the Bus Eireann's app. It gives a detailed breakdown on what time the 109 is supposed to be at certain stops along the route. (9.05 Market Square Navan, 9.10 Ardboyne Hotel, etc) According to this timetable, it should take 5 minutes to get from the Halfway House to St Peter's in Phibsborough.

Only by breaking the speed limit and traffic lights could you make it between those two points in just 5 minutes.

Even with a receipt I would bet that there's no chance unfortunately. Hell would freeze over before a state company would offer someone a refund. The poster above will most likely get an apology with some vague spiel about the mythical 'route supervisor' being notified. Which is all very unfair of course on the person above.

I was having a look at the route planner on the Bus Eireann's app. It gives a detailed breakdown on what time the 109 is supposed to be at certain stops along the route. (9.05 Market Square Navan, 9.10 Ardboyne Hotel, etc) According to this timetable, it should take 5 minutes to get from the Halfway House to St Peter's in Phibsborough.

Only by breaking the speed limit and traffic lights could you make it between those two points in just 5 minutes.

Even with a receipt I would bet that there's no chance unfortunately. Hell would freeze over before a state company would offer someone a refund. The poster above will most likely get an apology with some vague spiel about the mythical 'route supervisor' being notified. Which is all very unfair of course on the person above.

Some years ago, I think it was 2002, I was getting the train from Belfast to Dublin and there was an unexpected delay. It was the Belfast Enterprise train.

What they did was to hand out forms that people could fill out in order to get compensated for the delay.

I can't remember whether it was a full refund or partial as I didn't pursue it, because the delay didn't inconvenience me much, but I thought it was a good gesture, that they gave passengers the option to apply.

What I'm thinking is, that no matter how someone got home, they were still inconvenienced by not being able to get a bus home that was due to pick up at Blanchardstown, at a time of the night when there is no other service till the following morning. The next 109 bus to Navan from Blanchardstown (after the 109N on Saturday nights) is 8.50am on Sunday morning.

If they needed to get home at around 4.30am - other than getting a taxi to Navan - to get home by public transport, they would need to get a taxi to the airport for the first 109A at 5.20am, or get back into the city centre by taxi from Blanchardstown, which would likely be 15 to 20 euros.

To get the first Bus Éireann bus back to Navan from the city centre, on a Sunday morning they would need to get to the airport, by either getting a taxi to the airport, which is at least 20 euros, or the regular Aircoach bus service from O'Connell St which operates throughout the night, to get the 5.20am 109A to Navan.

So even if a passenger got a taxi to Navan or a lift home, or waited for the next 109 bus, (the first of which on Sunday mornings is 8.30am from Bus Aras) they were still inconvenienced by the 109N bus not stopping where it should have.

In this regard, if it can be shown - perhaps by the AVL tracking system - that the 109N bus did not stop at Blanchardstown last Saturday night, might there be some sort of gesture from Bus Éireann, like a voucher for a bus ticket or a voucher to the same value as the cost of the taxi fare or something along that line?

Some years ago, I think it was 2002, I was getting the train from Belfast to Dublin and there was an unexpected delay. It was the Belfast Enterprise train.

What they did was to hand out forms that people could fill out in order to get compensated for the delay.

I can't remember whether it was a full refund or partial as I didn't pursue it, because the delay didn't inconvenience me much, but I thought it was a good gesture, that they gave passengers the option to apply.

What I'm thinking is, that no matter how someone got home, they were still inconvenienced by not being able to get a bus home that was due to pick up at Blanchardstown, at a time of the night when there is no other service till the following morning. The next 109 bus to Navan from Blanchardstown (after the 109N on Saturday nights) is 8.50am on Sunday morning.

If they needed to get home at around 4.30am - other than getting a taxi to Navan - to get home by public transport, they would need to get a taxi to the airport for the first 109A at 5.20am, or get back into the city centre by taxi from Blanchardstown, which would likely be 15 to 20 euros.

To get the first Bus Éireann bus back to Navan from the city centre, on a Sunday morning they would need to get to the airport, by either getting a taxi to the airport, which is at least 20 euros, or the regular Aircoach bus service from O'Connell St which operates throughout the night, to get the 5.20am 109A to Navan.

So even if a passenger got a taxi to Navan or a lift home, or waited for the next 109 bus, (the first of which on Sunday mornings is 8.30am from Bus Aras) they were still inconvenienced by the 109N bus not stopping where it should have.

In this regard, if it can be shown - perhaps by the AVL tracking system - that the 109N bus did not stop at Blanchardstown last Saturday night, might there be some sort of gesture from Bus Éireann, like a voucher for a bus ticket or a voucher to the same value as the cost of the taxi fare or something along that line?

It goes without saying that that would be a great gesture given the inconvenience caused, but I'm fairly cynical about their approach to customer service. A few years back I was left a few Euro out of pocket due to a mistake on BE's side. I contacted them and asked if there was anyway I could be reimbursed, but I never got a reply.

Having got the 3.30am a few times, I can safely say it's quite an unpleasant experience at the best of times. I wonder if it's possible that there was some incident that delayed it's journey and it did make it's way through Blanchardstown later on?

It goes without saying that that would be a great gesture given the inconvenience caused, but I'm fairly cynical about their approach to customer service. A few years back I was left a few Euro out of pocket due to a mistake on BE's side. I contacted them and asked if there was anyway I could be reimbursed, but I never got a reply.

Having got the 3.30am a few times, I can safely say it's quite an unpleasant experience at the best of times. I wonder if it's possible that there was some incident that delayed it's journey and it did make it's way through Blanchardstown later on?

hi Dr Robotnik

Usually the 109N from Bus Aras at 3.30am gets into Navan at 4.40-4.45am, so if it had not arrived at the slip road stop by 4.30am, it sounds like it didn't go through Blanchardstown at all.

It would be interesting to find out if the Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL)system can be used to confirm if the bus went through Blanchardstown on Saturday night or if it did not.

Does it record the route taken by the buses, or is it only in use while the bus is operating.

I have used both the 12.30 and 3.30am 109N buses and haven't found them unpleasant, that most people just want to get home, some sleeping most of the journey. Some passengers can be a bit loud talking amongst themselves, but the chat is generally jovial, good humoured and good natured.

What sort of unpleasantness have you encountered?

hi

Usually the 109N from Bus Aras at 3.30am gets into Navan at 4.40-4.45am, so if it had not arrived at the slip road stop by 4.30am, it sounds like it didn't go through Blanchardstown at all.

It would be interesting to find out if the Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL)system can be used to confirm if the bus went through Blanchardstown on Saturday night or if it did not.

Does it record the route taken by the buses, or is it only in use while the bus is operating.

I have used both the 12.30 and 3.30am 109N buses and haven't them unpleasant, that most people just want to get home, some sleeping most of the journey. Some passengers can be a bit loud talking amongst themselves, but it they are generally good humoured and good natured.

What sort of unpleasantness have you encountered?

On a few occasions I've seen drunks get aggressive toward the drivers, calling them every name under the sun. The last time I was on the 3.30 a lad puked into the aisles not once, but twice.

Obviously not a reflection of everyone who takes the service, but enough to make me want to avoid it where possible.

On a few occasions I've seen drunks get aggressive toward the drivers, calling them every name under the sun. The last time I was on the 3.30 a lad puked into the aisles not once, but twice.

Obviously not a reflection of everyone who takes the service, but enough to make me want to avoid it where possible.

you just reminded me, that before Christmas when I got the 12.30 109N, when the bus stopped at the Mercy Convent, two lads got out and one puked up pretty much immediately and the other looked like he was about to!

I'm pretty sure I'd a far more enjoyable and relaxed journey than them!:)

• Advertisement

you just reminded me, that before Christmas when I got the 12.30 109N, when the bus stopped at the Mercy Convent, two lads got out and one puked up pretty much immediately and the other looked like he was about to!

I'm pretty sure I'd a far more enjoyable and relaxed journey than them!:)

Haha no doubt. When the lad puked into the aisle, the driver spoke over the intercom and said that he could go back and get a new, clean bus or keep on going. I think all the passengers told him to keep going rather than waste time changing buses, even if it did mean that everyone had to do an Indiana Jones style maneuver around the offending seats!

Haha no doubt. When the lad puked into the aisle, the driver spoke over the intercom and said that he could go back and get a new, clean bus or keep on going. I think all the passengers told him to keep going rather than waste time changing buses, even if it did mean that everyone had to do an Indiana Jones style maneuver around the offending seats!

Excellent stuff! was it real yellow-ey liquidy?

or could you see bits of food in it?:D

Excellent stuff! was it real yellow-ey liquidy?

or could you see bits of food in it?:D

It was like someone punctured a balloon full of Heineken.

It was like someone punctured a balloon full of Heineken.

that's a great description, really conveys the resulting carnage!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Just checking in and reading the last few posts on the ever popular BE 109 thread.

My commute since ditching the BE Navan services for the IE rail service has been very rewarding.
    1, My train is consistent, leaves on time, arrives on time, day in - day out.
    2. It is comfortable, has working toilets, charging points for mobile tech (On the newer trains) and good reliable Wifi
    3. Parking at M3 Parkway is free for the foreseeable future and no problems there.
    4. My tax saver ticket also allows me us the other services to Bray, Dart, Maynooth for the princely sum of €1,220 per anumn or €60 a month after tax.
    5. Most importantly I will avoid all those nice Luas works between O'Connell street and Stephens Green.

I drive to Parkway, get the train, have one walk to work and do the reverse going home. Totally different experience to BE, but extremely consistent even with the car and I know to within 5 mins when I will be in work and when I will be home.
    I do notice these BE buses are all 07D or 08D and don't seem to be getting replaced. The service will not improve anytime soon. I see the 109 buses on Baggot street to Merrion square each morning and do wonder what time did that service leave Navan (doesn't bare thinking about!)

Keep the faith

• Advertisement

5.25 , we're full and we're off ! Genuinely Pity those left behind given my 1 hour 40 trip to Navan on the 5.30 slow Coach this week.

Gripe number 2 , leap website down again and has been for most of the week from what I've experienced

5.25 , we're full and we're off ! Genuinely Pity those left behind given my 1 hour 40 trip to Navan on the 5.30 slow Coach this week.

Gripe number 2 , leap website down again and has been for most of the week from what I've experienced

Is the bus you are referring to, not just unfortunately encountering the heavy traffic that is always heading out towards the Navan Road at the same time every day.

I mentioned in an earlier post, that I have taken the 109A on different days at different times and it has got from Navan to the airport in pretty much the same journey time.

The 109s later on, for example at 11.30pm from Dublin get to Navan at 12.35 and Kells at 12.50am at the latest.

Is the bus you are referring to, not just unfortunately encountering the heavy traffic that is always heading out towards the Navan Road at the same time every day.

I mentioned in an earlier post, that I have taken the 109A on different days at different times and it has got from Navan to the airport in pretty much the same journey time.

The 109s later on, for example at 11.30pm from Dublin get to Navan at 12.35 and Kells at 12.50am at the latest.

The point is it doesn't need to encounter heavy traffic, there is €750m worth of infrastructure in place in terms of the DPT, designed to get people out of town more quickly. I've said it before running 62 of the 64 daily services out through a well known congressed route is madness

As I said in my post the bus picked one person up en route, so in essence what could have been a slightly over one hour journey for 25 odd people, was a 1 hour 40 minute journey for everyone in order to faciliate one person. No business or economic rationale.

The point is it doesn't need to encounter heavy traffic, there is €750m worth of infrastructure in place in terms of the DPT, designed to get people out of town more quickly. I've said it before running 62 of the 64 daily services out through a well known congressed route is madness

As I said in my post the bus picked one person up en route, so in essence what could have been a slightly over one hour journey for 25 odd people, was a 1 hour 40 minute journey for everyone in order to faciliate one person. No business or economic rationale.

If the only bus that was full - of the three that leave at 5.30pm - is the one that goes out the port tunnel and does not go through Blanchardstown or Phibsboro, I guess they run the two other 5.30 buses out by the Mater Hospital, Phibsboro Church and Blanchardstown in order to get more passengers. You mentioned there was around 25 people on the bus you got that time.

They'd have no way of knowing if there was going to be one passenger at Phibsboro Church, or if five or six people were waiting there.

That logic makes no sense I'm afraid, my understanding of what you are saying is that only full buses should use the most common sense route???

I have been using the r109 for in excess of 20 years and the reality is that on these services 80-90% (and I would say it's nearer 90%) board the bus at bus aras. So why should 90% of passengers be dragged through a traffic blackspot to suit the other 10%? Granted pre Dublin Port Tunnel , there was probabaly no alternative, but this is no longer the position, we have spent close to a billion on the DPT and upgrading the M50.

My point is it would make more sense for the 10% to come to Bus Aras like everybody else and we'd all get out of town quicker. Alternatively there is a that first stop in Blanch that they could get out to., but the logic of p***ing off 90% to appease 10%, is laughable.

Re "more passengers" - the simple fact is if BE had more express services, they would have alot more passengers

That logic makes no sense I'm afraid, my understanding of what you are saying is that only full buses should use the most common sense route???

I have been using the r109 for in excess of 20 years and the reality is that on these services 80-90% (and I would say it's nearer 90%) board the bus at bus aras. So why should 90% of passengers be dragged through a traffic blackspot to suit the other 10%? Granted pre Dublin Port Tunnel , there was probabaly no alternative, but this is no longer the position, we have spent close to a billion on the DPT and upgrading the M50.

My point is it would make more sense for the 10% to come to Bus Aras like everybody else and we'd all get out of town quicker. Alternatively there is a that first stop in Blanch that they could get out to., but the logic of p***ing off 90% to appease 10%, is laughable.

Re "more passengers" - the simple fact is if BE had more express services, they would have alot more passengers

I was not saying that only full buses should go out the port tunnel.

You mentioned that there were 25 people on the bus you got.

What I was suggesting was that, considering the bus was not full, it is possible that Bus Éireann has found that the bus at that time generally has spare seats, throughout the week, and as a result may have taken the decision to go that route for the opportunity of picking up extra passengers at the bus stops at the Mater, Phibsboro and Blanchardstown.

I mentioned before that at night, there is no delay getting to Phibsboro Church, it takes only a few minutes for the 11.30pm 109 to get to Phibsboro Church.

It isn't always possible to make it down to Bus Aras, for example to get the last 109 at 11.30pm.

The Phibsboro Church stop is very useful, when if anyone is up around the Harcourt St, Camden St or Wexford St area, for example at 11.15 -11.20pm and it's a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night and the traffic heading down towards Dame St and Westmoreland St is insanely slow and there's no chance of getting down to Bus Aras in time for the 11.30pm 109.

Instead they can cut across to Phibsboro Church where the bus stops around 7 minutes after it leaves Bus Aras at 11.30pm.

Have you written in to Bus Éireann or the NTA, highlighting the issues you raise, questioning why they go out by Phibsboro and Cabra at 5.30pm?

How have they responded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

As regards this review and service adjustments in the greater Dublin area, I hope its not the case, but can only assume at this stage that its been and gone and the R109 route isnt been altered or amended.

No. Changes to rosters that were worked up last year were binned. AFAIK it was due to the NTA sticking their oar in. Last word was that a full timetable change is still on the cards but no date as yet.

NTA decided that an "integrated" timetable was needed on the 115 to fit in with the rail service so this got priority, hearing rumours of other routes being in the firing line also so when 109 will be done is not known (at least not by us lowly drivers) although if the NTA's grand vision for the 115 is anything to go by change may not be a good thing.

They removed some of the peak time limited stop extras on that route and left many commuters with longer journeys while actually increasing the number of services by running pointless extra daytime services for part of the route that serves only 1 or 2 small towns. Over a dozen coach services running in and out of the city every day with at most a handful of passengers on them.

I will repeat what I posted previously, anyone who wants their opinions heard need to contact the right people in the right way before decisions are made. Moaning on boards or to your regular driver or the inspectors at Busaras is not going to change anything.

In other places there would have been a user group set up by now to pressure the decision makers to improve the service to the commuters who populate the route but in Ireland people just don't seem capable of anything more than moaning to Joe or on the internet.

The majority of us drivers on the route would agree with the general opinion expressed here that there should be more express services and a cull of the tour of Blanchardstown and Clonee. Particularly in the evening peak where sending a wave of full or near full buses out of Busaras and along the chronically congested NCR, Cabra and Navan roads is just insane.

And yes, in case you were wondering, even if a bus is full and there is zero possibility of any other passengers being picked-up we still have to drive it out the set route rather than taking any quicker route.

Even without a radical overhaul of the timetable if just the peak extras (16.15, 16.45, 17.15, 17.45, 18.15, 18.45) were routed non-stop from Busaras to Fairyhouse X via the Port Tunnel/M50 it would still leave the original route with a 1/2 hourly frequency while providing 8 peak fast services.

the 109N bypassed Blanch on Saturday again @ 3.30, luckily I got it in town, but seriously, are BE waiting for a woman to get raped at the Bus Stop some morning before they actually DO do a pass through the slip road! It takes about 20 seconds to go up an down the sliproad.

the 109N bypassed Blanch on Saturday again @ 3.30, luckily I got it in town, but seriously, are BE waiting for a woman to get raped at the Bus Stop some morning before they actually DO do a pass through the slip road! It takes about 20 seconds to go up an down the sliproad.

hi malene

just wondering, did you get a response from Bus Éireann as to why it didn't go through Blanchardstown the night you were waiting there?

On the pdf print out for the 109N timetable, it says that it goes by the Blanchardstown Roundabout. Is that a different stop from the slip road?

Edit: I just wonder did the driver on that night know he/she must go out the slip road, considering you have taken it before from that stop?

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1293185310-109N.pdf

I've ben offered a small bit of compensation which I have to follow up on, but it will still leave me €30 short. I'm confused as to which roundabout it is. The normal route was to come in alongside the Crowne Plaza and keep going straight to the crossroads ad then straight down the slip road. I must see if that can be enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Vic_08 wrote: »

I will repeat what I posted previously, anyone who wants their opinions heard need to contact the right people in the right way before decisions are made. Moaning on boards or to your regular driver or the inspectors at Busaras is not going to change anything.

I have some opinions I would like to express, who and where should they be sent to to ensure they are heard?

I've ben offered a small bit of compensation which I have to follow up on, but it will still leave me €30 short. I'm confused as to which roundabout it is. The normal route was to come in alongside the Crowne Plaza and keep going straight to the crossroads ad then straight down the slip road. I must see if that can be enforced.

Yes, I couldn't figure out from the 109N timetable when it says Blanchardstown Roundabout, was it referring to the old bus stop or the more recent slip road stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yes, I couldn't figure out from the 109N timetable when it says Blanchardstown Roundabout, was it referring to the old bus stop or the more recent slip road stop.

I think the "Blanchardstown roundabout" they refer to is the m50 junction roundabout at castleknock.

I have some opinions I would like to express, who and where should they be sent to to ensure they are heard?

The National Transport Authority would be responsive to any views you have regarding bus services

contact details on their website:

National Transport Authority
    Dún Scéine
    Harcourt Lane
    Dublin 2

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/

01 879 8300

info@nationaltransport.ie

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I think the "Blanchardstown roundabout" they refer to is the m50 junction roundabout at castleknock.

From a search on the journey planner for the 109 intermediate stops, I think you are correct.

I guess the Blanchardstown Roundabout stop is the one listed on the journey planner as Blanchardstown (Jctn Navan Rd) which on google maps is listed as Navan Rd M50 Roundabout?

I guess this is the stop listed as 'Blanchardstown Roundabout', on the 109N timetable?

The 109 journey planner lists the Blanchardstown (Jctn Navan Rd) stop and the slip road stop as two separate intermediate stops, but considering the 3.30am 109N bus has picked up at the slip road before and hasn't done so for the last two Saturday nights in a row, it will unfortunately cause confusion for passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭tom23

Vic_08 wrote: »
    No. Changes to rosters that were worked up last year were binned. AFAIK it was due to the NTA sticking their oar in. Last word was that a full timetable change is still on the cards but no date as yet.

NTA decided that an "integrated" timetable was needed on the 115 to fit in with the rail service so this got priority, hearing rumours of other routes being in the firing line also so when 109 will be done is not known (at least not by us lowly drivers) although if the NTA's grand vision for the 115 is anything to go by change may not be a good thing.

They removed some of the peak time limited stop extras on that route and left many commuters with longer journeys while actually increasing the number of services by running pointless extra daytime services for part of the route that serves only 1 or 2 small towns. Over a dozen coach services running in and out of the city every day with at most a handful of passengers on them.

In other places there would have been a user group set up by now to pressure the decision makers to improve the service to the commuters who populate the route but in Ireland people just don't seem capable of anything more than moaning to Joe or on the internet.

The majority of us drivers on the route would agree with the general opinion expressed here that there should be more express services and a cull of the tour of Blanchardstown and Clonee. Particularly in the evening peak where sending a wave of full or near full buses out of Busaras and along the chronically congested NCR, Cabra and Navan roads is just insane.

And yes, in case you were wondering, even if a bus is full and there is zero possibility of any other passengers being picked-up we still have to drive it out the set route rather than taking any quicker route.

Even without a radical overhaul of the timetable if just the peak extras (16.15, 16.45, 17.15, 17.45, 18.15, 18.45) were routed non-stop from Busaras to Fairyhouse X via the Port Tunnel/M50 it would still leave the original route with a 1/2 hourly frequency while providing 8 peak fast services.

Just done the tour of the north east on the 7:35 and am still on this magical mystery tour, it is never ending. Dunshaughlin a one way street with a few housing estates has more bus stops than a regional town like navan. Methinks either Dunshaughlin has a powerful lobby group or half the Nta live there.

But your right a user group / lobby group needs to be set up to represent the 109 route and make constructive argument to the people who actually call the shots which is the Nta before the 109 can actually be made worse. As it stands the 109 'slow coach' is not acceptable in the area that it covers considering their is little or no people getting of in Bracetown, clonee, Blanchardstown.

Just to respond to a few points in the last few days

Firstly I understand the second 7.20 express failed to show twice this week (or if it did was extremely late) forcing many people into getting the slowcoach as opposed to the express.

Horseburger, perhaps I should have been clearer, if you read some of my earlier posts, my point re more expresses and use of DPT etc relates to peak time services, I for one, and most people using this thread aren’t overly concerned about people coming from boozing on Camden street at 11.30pm, the vast majority who use the service on a daily basis are leaving between 6.30 and 7.30 in the mornings, and coming home between 4 and 7 pm, depending on flexitime arrangements etc... Not surprisingly that is the time the roads are most congested and therefore the time there should be more expresses taking advantage of the billions worth of infrastructure I have mentioned. I have no problem with the bus going via Cabra at 10pm when there is no traffic; I do have a problem at 6 o clock, when it can take 45 minutes or longer to get to Blanch for the sake of 2 or 3 passengers who could come into BE.

As regards contacting BE and NTA, Yes I have, usual two line bullsh*t answer from BE, so I wrote to NTA, who as I have said previously told me that major improvements were en route , but it appears that as per Vic's post, (despite the fact I was told that they should be up and running by November) that nothing concrete has been sorted to date

Vic, many thanks for the update. The bit that I find really shocking, not that it is new to me, but to think that if you have a full bus and can get everyone home 30 minutes early, you are in effect not allowed to do so, and are forced to take a longer route even though you can't pick up any additional passengers. Seriously????? and they wonder why BE is going to the wall financially???. I think if they had even one more express at 6 that would help matters big time. Without wanting to offend anyone , some of the stops that are serviced 20 odd times daily during peak hours are scandalous, and BE seem hell bent in the last few years in adding more and more new stops to service a tiny minority.

Tom, don’t even get me started on Dunslaughlin, jokeshop, it should be serviced by Dublin Bus, like Clonee is. last time I went through it on the slow coach, we stopped 5 times (between official and non official stops) in the space of what felt like less than a kilometer. And that was to let about 8 people off in total.

Re lobby group, all for that, I believe they did it on the r133 Wicklow route and got results (think there is still a face book page Bus Eireann 133) . I have written to the NTA and posted their reply here before and I intend to do same again and cc anybody can potentially help. I would advise all others here to do like wise and keep us in the loop re responses etc...

Firstly I understand the second 7.20 express failed to show twice this week (or if it did was extremely late) forcing many people into getting the slowcoach as opposed to the express.

Horseburger, perhaps I should have been clearer, if you read some of my earlier posts, my point re more expresses and use of DPT etc relates to peak time services, I for one, and most people using this thread aren’t overly concerned about people coming from boozing on Camden street at 11.30pm, the vast majority who use the service on a daily basis are leaving between 6.30 and 7.30 in the mornings, and coming home between 4 and 7 pm, depending on flexitime arrangements etc... Not surprisingly that is the time the roads are most congested and therefore the time there should be more expresses taking advantage of the billions worth of infrastructure I have mentioned. I have no problem with the bus going via Cabra at 10pm when there is no traffic; I do have a problem at 6 o clock, when it can take 45 minutes or longer to get to Blanch for the sake of 2 or 3 passengers who could come into BE.

As regards contacting BE and NTA, Yes I have, usual two line bullsh*t answer from BE, so I wrote to NTA, who as I have said previously told me that major improvements were en route , but it appears that as per Vic's post, (despite the fact I was told that they should be up and running by November) that nothing concrete has been sorted to date

Vic, many thanks for the update. The bit that I find really shocking, not that it is new to me, but to think that if you have a full bus and can get everyone home 30 minutes early, you are in effect not allowed to do so, and are forced to take a longer route even though you can't pick up any additional passengers. Seriously????? and they wonder why BE is going to the wall financially???. I think if they had even one more express at 6 that would help matters big time. Without wanting to offend anyone , some of the stops that are serviced 20 odd times daily during peak hours are scandalous, and BE seem hell bent in the last few years in adding more and more new stops to service a tiny minority.

Tom, don’t even get me started on Dunslaughlin, jokeshop, it should be serviced by Dublin Bus, like Clonee is. last time I went through it on the slow coach, we stopped 5 times (between official and non official stops) in the space of what felt like less than a kilometer. And that was to let about 8 people off in total.

Re lobby group, all for that, I believe they did it on the r133 Wicklow route and got results (think there is still a face book page Bus Eireann 133) . I have written to the NTA and posted their reply here before and I intend to do same again and cc anybody can potentially help. I would advise all others here to do like wise and keep us in the loop re responses etc...

I was not arguing against buses going out the port tunnel. I was suggesting that if two of the three buses at 5.30pm are not usually full, perhaps that is why Bus Éireann go out by the other stops at Phibsboro and Cabra and Blanchardstown. Why else would they go out that way?

I guess the way the timetable is set out, they are trying to accommodate as much passengers in the different towns as possible on their different routes, for example, of the other two 109s - of the three that leave at 5.30pm - one goes through Dunshaughlin, and the other one doesn't stop in Navan but goes on to Kells and is due in Cavan at 7.30.

What I asked you was, in your correspondence, did you ask them specifically, why they operate the routes around 5pm-7pm out by Phibsboro and Cabra? What reason did they give?

I gave the example of getting the bus at Phibsboro, to show that stop is useful when there isn't time to get a bus or a taxi down to Bus Aras when the traffic is heavy on Aungier St and Dame St. I have done this on numerous occasions and I wasn't "boozing". Why make a comment like "people coming from boozing on Camden street"? It's not relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Commuter109,I believe you have hit the nail square on with this post.

Politics,and perhaps even Civil War era politics,is in fact playing the major role in this melodrama.

At this juncture in Century 21,many of the satellite villages have long since been subsumed by Greater Dublin and realistically should be regarded as integral for Public Transport purposes.

Responsibility for location such as Dunshaughlin should be removed totally from BE and instead these should be catered for by a comprehensive City Service schedule.

However,BE and to a lesser extent BAC still cling to this notion of attempting to serve ALL of the Community,which usually entails a result of half-serving SOME of it and effectively serving NONE of it.

The hope was that the NTA's arrival would end this fixation,however, as you are currently witnessing,the NTA's initial enthusiasm appears to be waning rapidly as Local Politics takes its toll.....

Next thing we can expect is the filling-in of the Dublin Port Tunnel,in order to save cash.....:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The 109 timetable at the stop in the blanchardstown centre still shows all the peak time buses that only stop at the slip road as still stopping in the centre. Does nobody check on these timetables?

Advertisement