Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transplanting raspberry plants

Options
  • 10-10-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

A lad at the alltoments is giving up his plot and said he is open to offers on stuff he has. Was thinking of asking him for his raspberry canes which fruited well this year. Would it be a simple job of digging them up and putting them in my plot with plenty of manure in the hole? Appreciate any advice.
    oh, he also has some sort of dwarf cooking apple tree which also did very well. Would it be simple to transplant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

do you know if they are summer or autumn raspberries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

They still have some fruit on them so I would say Autumn. Thanks

not sure how familar you are with raspberry but simply put, summer raspberry fruit on one year old canes (last years), while autumn fruit on the same years canes (this years fruit on this years new growth).

the autumn raspberry canes can therefore be cut to ground when they are finished fruiting and can be transplanted while dormant, be sure about the type, since summer canes that need pruning out will be the old woody stems and not the newer growth - if you get it wrong it means it will be 2 years before you see fruit again on a summer cane.

either way, you can dig while dormant and relocate to a sunny free draining site .

Thanks a million for the detailed reply!
    I'll be sure to ask but it's a bit hit and miss when I see this guy. I know he will be fine with me taking them and fixing up with him later. He said he was going to clear them out and I'm already buying a water butt from him and he said ah sure we'll talk later. As there is still edible fruit on it would it be a safe assumption it is an autumn type?
    Thanks again

not a bother.

probably safe enough at this time of year to assume such (not ideal but then since you did'nt plant them, you can't be 100% sure).
    regardless of this if they do turn out to be summer fruiters then at most you will miss out on one fruiting season and the transplants will probably benefit from this, also depending on how many plants you require, each clump of root material can be propagated by division into multiple small root balls, raspberries also propagate very readily from cuttings, so alittle will go a long way.

• Advertisement

Great, thanks a lot. There are 5 plants so I'll take them as they are without dividing them.

Advertisement