Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bicycle Maintenance Courses?

• 10-10-2011 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey,
    Im a Flatland BMX rider and right now im in 6th year, After my leaving cert i'd like to go to college. However, none of the courses i looked through interest me and then I wondered "Maybe there is a course on Bikes"? I have done Work Experience as a Bike Mechanic and this kinda job appeals to me.

So my question is, Does anyone know if any colleges in Ireland/UK do any courses about bicycles or becoming a mechanic? Or a course that somehow relates to bikes?

Also, it doesent have to be like a proper 2-5 year college course. Just something that would make me a qualified bike mechanic or something along those lines.

Thanks,
    Mick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

im heading over to these lads for November, the main courses are two weeks long each and you get a uk qualification out of it, been talking away to the people running it and they seem like really nice people, this page tells you about their courses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

im heading over to these lads for November, the main courses are two weeks long each and you get a uk qualification out of it, been talking away to the people running it and they seem like really nice people, this page tells you about their courses

That looks good... Would you pm me and let me know how you get on when you complete the course ?

no bother, i think rother do maintenance courses as well, but i was looking for a course where you get a qualification out of it, going to try and get some work in ireland afterwards but id say i could be pissing in the wind with that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rozcor

Looks good :D Thanks :)

no bother, i think rother do maintenance courses as well, but i was looking for a course where you get a qualification out of it, going to try and get some work in ireland afterwards but id say i could be pissing in the wind with that :D

Halfords will look after you :)

• Advertisement

Rozcor wrote: »
    Hey,
    Im a Flatland BMX rider and right now im in 6th year, After my leaving cert i'd like to go to college. However, none of the courses i looked through interest me and then I wondered "Maybe there is a course on Bikes"? I have done Work Experience as a Bike Mechanic and this kinda job appeals to me.

So my question is, Does anyone know if any colleges in Ireland/UK do any courses about bicycles or becoming a mechanic? Or a course that somehow relates to bikes?

Also, it doesent have to be like a proper 2-5 year college course. Just something that would make me a qualified bike mechanic or something along those lines.

Thanks,
    Mick.

I think bikedoc up the north do courses not sure of qualifications though.

haha id fit in nicely what with all my bike dilemas and what not :D sell a new bike two minutes later "hey icyseanfitz my disk brakes arnt working properly, why is my hub not spinning freely, why is my bike a pile of junk on the ground" :D

just finished the level 2 VRQ with cycle systems academy over here in london, great bunch of guys, really know there stuff. ive learned a massive amount.

starting my level 3 VRQ tomorrow where things should get really interesting as we will be servicing suspension forks and hydraulic brakes :D

id definitely recommend them to anyone looking to get into the cycling trade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Its a grand job during college / school or as a stop gap, not something you can build a career of here. However theres no point in wasting your life in a course in college you dont want, maybe get a job for christmas in one of the smyths or halfords and see if you like it?

meh id prefer to have a job that paid just all right and i liked it as opposed to something that pays a lot but i hate it, plenty of work over here in london for mechanics, a nice bit over in Australia and Canada as well, long term id think of setting up something myself but as im 22 ive time to make up my mind :D

tried 2 college courses and i just couldnt stick them, so im trying to do something i know il like

• Advertisement

meh id prefer to have a job that paid just all right and i liked it as opposed to something that pays a lot but i hate it, plenty of work over here in london for mechanics, a nice bit over in Australia and Canada as well, long term id think of setting up something myself but as im 22 ive time to make up my mind :D

tried 2 college courses and i just couldnt stick them, so im trying to do something i know il like

I worked in canada, Its a different story for bike mechs over there, very well paid. Suppose It all depends on what you want from work, I left it because being honest it was dead end and became a chore. I loved it at the start :) , If you were of the kind that could set up their own shop, then I can see a career, otherwise the most youl earn will be 16 per hour.Depending on your circumstances, this may not be enough. Just something to consider! It is a interesting job to get stuck into.

yeah would love to head to canada tbh, try and become a ski instructor in the winter and a bike mechanic through summer :D that would be my dream come through, working at two things i love.

Money is important but im of the opinion enjoying what you do is far more important, ive seen relatives and friends who have thrown 30 odd years into jobs they despise and i just cant get my head around it, thats nearly half your life wasted on something you dont even like :eek:, meh maybe im just weird :D

yeah would love to head to canada tbh, try and become a ski instructor in the winter and a bike mechanic through summer :D that would be my dream come through, working at two things i love.

Money is important but im of the opinion enjoying what you do is far more important, ive seen relatives and friends who have thrown 30 odd years into jobs they despise and i just cant get my head around it, thats nearly half your life wasted on something you dont even like :eek:, meh maybe im just weird :D

Well you could become a bike designer for specialized :)

kona wrote: »
    Well you could become a bike designer for specialized :)

the lads im currently doing the course with will probably be doing a level 4 with frame building/cnc machines in a couple of years, might try and get into that as well :) you currently a mechanic in ireland kona?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Sorry for dragging up such an old thread but I'm now in the same boat as the OP myself. Graduated from college a few years now and have been working in various positions since then but don't enjoy my work at all. I've been getting hugely into cycling over the past two years or so and work on my own bikes. Did a bike building course with Rothar towards the end of 2013 and even volunteered with them at one stage; but that never got off the ground due to my work commitments.

Anyway, I'd gladly piss away fixing bikes for a living if I can make ends meet from it. The office grind just isn't for me, I don't care what they're paying me. So I guess I'm asking how does one go about trying to get a job in the industry? I can't seem to find any courses here but I would be open to doing an apprenticeship if that's a possible route in. The cycle systems course in the UK looks good if expensive. Has anyone trained up in the UK and found work from it? All recommendations are most welcome.

Advertisement