Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm so Lazy....that "Remember Me" Box.....

Options
  • 10-10-2011 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

...that you have to Tick when logging in so that you aren't automatically Logged Out, is there anyway to have that ticked by default?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That would be a bit dangerous if you're using a shared computer.

Also, why would it need to be set as default? If you're using it then you shouldn't need to click it every time you visit the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Sounds like a great excuse for the prison forum. They already get the odd one that claims a housemate trolled or was abusive when the account owner accidentally left themselves logged in.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yeah, and we always believe those ones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I was thinking about this and unless there's some kind of Boards Cookie or the like that could be added to the Site so the Users Computer remembers that you Ticked it, I can't see it working any other way.

I'm just guessing here.
    That would be a bit dangerous if you're using a shared computer.

Also, why would it need to be set as default? If you're using it then you shouldn't need to click it every time you visit the site.
    Not worried about the shared bit but I do always Log Out.

Do you not have to Click it everytime? I do.

I'd imagine the vast majority of People who use the Site own their own Computer so I don't think it would be any harm to set it to be Ticked by default.

We'd be saving a good 2 seconds not having to use the Mouse...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If you own your computer why log out?

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    If you own your computer why log out?
    Just incase someone uses it when I'm not around.

They'd know that I'm me, can't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Not worried about the shared bit but I do always Log Out.
    If you always log out, why are you ticking "Remember Me"?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

28064212 wrote: »
    If I don't click 'remember me' when I log in Boards feckin logs me out after 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

...that you have to Tick when logging in so that you aren't automatically Logged Out, is there anyway to have that ticked by default?
    Really?

28064212 wrote: »
    Because I'll have to log back in again and again and again......
    Tallon wrote: »
    Really?
    Yea?

If you just use the one Tab then it'l be fine but if you open a rake of them without Ticking it, it's a pain.

I've little to complain about I know....:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Just incase someone uses it when I'm not around.

They'd know that I'm me, can't have that.

Here's an idea, set up a guest account on you computer so they only have access to that...?

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Here's an idea, set up a guest account on you computer so they only have access to that...?
    Yea, it's an idea, but I'd have to put a Password on my Account then, I've no Patience to wait for stuff to turn on...lol.

Another idea would be to extend the 5 or 10 minute automatic Log out time to an hour or something???

Am I the only one this bothers?

I see Users that are Logged in, then Out then back in again, so they're probably sitting at Home wondering what's wrong with their Computer not realising it's the Site logging them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Yea, it's an idea, but I'd have to put a Password on my Account then, I've no Patience to wait for stuff to turn on...lol.

Yes but you wouldn't have to log into and out of boards so really it'd be a time saver!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

phasers wrote: »
    If I don't click 'remember me' when I log in Boards feckin logs me out after 5 minutes.

Fairly sure this is abnormal behaviour, and not what the "remember me" checkbox was designed for.

It's relatively simple to change the default state of the checkbox to checked, however it's a terrible idea and shouldn't be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Fairly sure this is abnormal behaviour, and not what the "remember me" checkbox was designed for.

It's relatively simple to change the default state of the checkbox to checked, however it's a terrible idea and shouldn't be implemented.

Not sure if you picked up phasers correctly.

I log in and out so that I wont always be logged in. Bit I do use the remember me button. Because if you don't, you can be reading a long thread and after a few minutes you are automatically logged out.

Not sure if you picked up phasers correctly.

I log in and out so that I wont always be logged in. Bit I do use the remember me button. Because if you don't, you can be reading a long thread and after a few minutes you are automatically logged out.

I understood correctly, but that's not what the remember me button is really designed for. It's designed to maintain session information in the long term, not the short them. To my knowledge there's no need to have a user session expire so quickly that a read of a few posts will result in them being logged out. I've fallen victim to what you two are describing myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sounds like a first world problem..

firstjpg.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Yup.
    OP, we will not be enabling your laziness.

We believe, for your own good, that extra movement of your digits could be the difference between life and death for you.

You're welcome.

Signed,
    The Caring Boards Admin Staff.

Yup.

We believe, for your own good, that extra movement of your digits could be the difference between life and death for you.

You're welcome.

Signed,

I think the underlying problem here is that users are being logged out of their sessions in an arbitrary amount of (short) time, and not when the browser session ends (i.e. when the browser window is closed)

Yup.

You're welcome.

Signed,
    tumblr_lfx3i001iW1qffb2t.jpg

sniff, Thanks for Caring.

(I'll just creep back into my cave now so......)

• Advertisement
Advertisement