Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probationary Period extention

Options
  • 10-10-2011 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Long story short!! Started work on the 12 of July, probation ended 28th of sept. Employer informs me today they are extending my probation by a further 3 months.

I asked why they didnt say so when i was still on probation, and they said since my line manager was off sick it escaped their notice!!!

Can they do this? If my probation is over surely they cant decide to extend it now??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Once it doesn't go over a year, then yes they can.

I'd be more worried abut why they're actually extending it. Was your line manager sick for a lot of your probationary period or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Eoin wrote: »
    Once it doesn't go over a year, then yes they can.

I'd be more worried abut why they're actually extending it. Was your line manager sick for a lot of your probationary period or something?

My manager found out she had cancer a few weeks ago and left on sick leave last week. I have been given her duties now and I work part time. So now have to do my job, her 40 hour week job with no title of manager and no extra pay. All that work def can't be done in my 20 hours

Yikes, that sounds like a lot to take on. I don't know what area you work in, but I would talk to your new boss to find out what exactly you're being measured on. Are there concerns about your performance in the job you were originally hired for? Taking away the extra 40 hours - if you had the time for it, would it be expected that you should be able to take on the manager's job if needs be?

As I said, probation can be for up to a year (apart from a few specific cases where it can be longer), and you can be gotten rid very easily in that time. So you don't have a huge amount on that front to back you up unfortunately.

Thanks for the replies Eoin!! Im a restaurant supervisor, the head chef has been given the title of manager with no extra pay etc but its in name only, Im doing all the managers work now. If i had been trained in the managers job I might have some hope of doing it, but i wasnt and its all accounts! But I def cant condense her job into mine no matter how hard i try!!

To top it all off, I made a request for holidays today and was told there is a holiday freeze until after Christmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you job hunting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

If you've signed a contract, have a read through it looking for terms of the probationary period. If it mentions a specific amount of time, you may have some leverage.

FruitLover wrote: »
    If you've signed a contract, have a read through it looking for terms of the probationary period. If it mentions a specific amount of time, you may have some leverage.

Not a lot though - they can just decide to let you go rather than extend the probation.

It mentions 12 weeks on my contract and i sure am job hunting!!

Just another question, i didnt receive a job description, and when it was mentioned about the porbation I asked for one. I asked the line manager today if he had gotten it for me and he says 'we are doing up a new one, because of your new duties'

So im assuming they are going to throw everything on this 'new' one??

Jesus, its so hard to work there with all this going on, I seriously dont think I can last without taking some days holidays. I will be the only one without holidays, even a guy that started after me had some hols taken, and one girl is taking 2 weeks in nov because she got in her request last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Eoin wrote: »
    Not a lot though - they can just decide to let you go rather than extend the probation.

If the probationary period has already been surpassed, then AFAIK they have to have a legit reason to terminate.

FruitLover wrote: »
    If the probationary period has already been surpassed, then AFAIK they have to have a legit reason to terminate.

You can't sue for unfair dismissal if you're there for less than a year, apart for certain circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I know that the situation seems stressful,but to me there seems to be a big opportunity there to be taken. Your line manager is gone,you seem to be able to do her job? Go for it, prove that you can do it and ask for the position!:)

Advertisement