Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Idea

Options
  • 10-10-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Im a fairly avid gardener and i have been growing my own food in my garden since i moved to this new house 3 years ago.

I sell my produce at a local farmers market with some success.

I have recently been passed some info that there is a spot open to supply a local supermarket.

I would love this as my full time job. Fwiw i have approx €15k savings.

I have a few business questions to ask

- How can i make sure i meet the constant demands by the supermarket? Could anyone outline any business options available.

- What resources do i need to turn this into a business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭YouBuyLocal

Hi Tipp,

First of all, fair play, you're an inspiration, to be turning your hobby into a business can be extremely difficult but brilliant when it comes off.

I am setting up a website for people like you to brand and sell online and for supermarkets to show where they get their produce. This would allow you to market your Produce online for free as well as engage with consumers and the community via social media, blogs, video, etc.

Its totally free to people that produce their own, I am building the community and will charge the distribution chain, i.e. Supervalu and Donnybrook fair and restaurants, other ecommerce sites, etc.

So although I can't advise you on how to deal with Supermarkets, you are on the right track. Supermarkets in Ireland and the UK are much more accessible to local producers today than five years ago because of a little publicised consumer trend in people paying more for local food than on corporate products or imports. Craft beer is one example where of a local product industry that is exploding. But you need a brand to leverage a better price off supermarkets. If you are a veg producer and struggle to build a brand you need to co-operatively brand with other local producers like, for example, the Cavan Food Network or Savour Kilkenny. PM me if you are interested in having a chat, I can't throw a link up here, its against the rules.

Kind Rgds,
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

1. Im not a keen gardner so im not up to date on produces monthly seasons etc.. For eg. MUshrooms are in oct> ??
    What specific produce are this supermarket willing to take
    How much are they willing to take
    When (daily, weekly )
    How much can u produce this for ?? And for how long.. Seasonal ??
    What will the supermarket do when your not feeding them mushrooms in march april may etc ?

You have all the resources u need now.. 1 or 10000 acres of land, shovel, transport. The above questions will determine what resources u need down the line.. U need to answer the above first to gauge what could,can be done.
    Go Tipp btw.. best produce in the country :D

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭YouBuyLocal

Personally, I think if you can make the sales direct online through box schemes etc then do it, if not try to upscale and produce for supermarkets. But its a lot easier to sell direct these days with better communications so if you can then go for it.

Advertisement