Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragonica New Origin from gPotato

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KalEl88

I'd like a code too if it's possible. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

This looks good :) pop me on a code please

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

any chance of a code pls? if there's any left...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I've got the last of the codes here, I'll be issuing them after lunch folks, I've got just enough for everyone who asked. Big thanks to Jamie for supplying the codes, I hope people are getting a bit of enjoyment out of the game.

[edit]
    Codes all gone out there now folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I've got to say I'm seriously unimpressed.

Finally got the game installed, patched it, hit start game - and without any warning it downloaded some anti-cheating software called GameGuard, which proceeded to install itself on my machine without any prompting.

Dragonica doesn't run, presumably because my antivirus has issues with GameGuard.

There's no mention anywhere on the gpotato site that GameGuard is going to be installed. In fact, the only mention I could find of it was in a forum post detailing all the software which should be closed while GameGuard is running, which includes most major antivirus tools, alongside development utilities such as Filezilla and Eclipse. The laughable recommendation is simply to turn off your antivirus while playing.

I'm all for anti-cheating, but in my book any software that installs itself without asking for permission, in my system folder, keylogs, functions as a rootkit and provides no uninstall mechanism falls into the category of malware. I've aborted install procesess of similar MMOs before, but at least they had the decency to warn me they were going to install this crap.

I immediately uninstalled Dragonica, but this has still left elements of GameGuard on my machine, which I've now got to waste time trying to root out.

Last gpotato game I'll look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

It's taken me well over an hour to be sure I'm rid of this, so for anyone else trying to uninstall this rubbish*, after uninstalling Dragonica, you'll need to manually remove 2 registry entries (backup the registry first):
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/INCAInternet
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/npggsvc
    (the last node may differ, could be npptnt2,search the registry for gameguard)

and 3 files in your system32 folder (probably C:\Windows\System32). They may be elsewhere on 64-bit:
    GameMon.des
    nppt9x.vxd
    npptNT2.sys

Check too that the Dragonica folder has been deleted, and that there isn't an outstanding Gameguard folder within that.

Start task manager, go to the services tab, and ensure that npggsvc (nProtect GameGuard Service) is stopped.

Use something like Sophos anti-rootkit to ensure there's nothing else left hanging around.

[edit]
    Missed some.
    Delete the entire folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\INCA Shared
    At this stage I'm just going to have to search my entire HDD for anything that was created at the time I installed Dragonica.

(*Just to clarify, by rubbish I mean GameGuard - Dragonica itself is probably a fine game, my only issue with it is installing rootkits without any warning)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Was unaware of this (I know Gameguard though), thanks for that.

I don't play it anymore, not because of this but because imo it wasn't well made to play on a laptop.
    I hooked up my gamepad and the limitation in keybinds turned me off a bit, I then tried to play it with a keyboard but that doesn't work too well imo.

So I'll just stick to Allods :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 gPotato.eu: Jamie

Hi guys,

I checked in this morning and noticed this, so I'll give you an answer.

I spoke to our Producer about the issue you raised, and he said the following.

"We are sorry to hear that you find it unacceptable that there is anti-hacking software included in the Dragonica client. This is however a standard procedure in Online Games and cannot be made optional, especially since the Game Guard client is tailored to every game individually, and can therefore be considered part of the client itself.

The client would not start up without this file being installed. We are always keen to receive constructive criticism on how to improve the user experience, and look forward to receiving your suggestions."

Julian, Dragonica Producer.

From my own experience playing Dragonica for nearly three years, it has never been flagged as an issue by any anti-virus software I've used ( Symantic or AVG ), and it allows players to not be hassled by spambots or bots in-game. I understand that some of our more technical boards players may find this unacceptable, but it is generally a standard piece of software for Korean games.

Allods Online does not have this, so maybe that is the better game for you.

However, I take the point, if it's not clear either before you download the game or when installing, then I can understand how it looks.

Thanks, and I hope everyone else who tried the game had fun :)

Cheers

Jamie

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Chefburns

From my own experience playing Dragonica for nearly three years, it has never been flagged as an issue by any anti-virus software I've used ( Symantic or AVG ), and it allows......

Really? The second I downloaded it AVG flagged it as a rootkit and Malwarebytes tried to remove it on 3 occasions.

Advertisement