Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3D Games Grafton Street closed down??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nickydistance

I actually checked this to see if the rumours were true as to whether or not 3-d games had actually closed.

One thing I will say in our (RAGE's) defense, is that yes our prices have risen due to some factors that have been completely out of my control. Here they are:

1. As some of you may know, our suppliers are from the UK. The euro to sterling exchange rate has dipped and has been unfavourable over the last few months.
    2. Also, those suppliers have risen their prices dramatically and in some cases the cost price of games has doubled.
    3. Unfortunately, our rent has been increased this year by 15%.

With regard to Ebay being cheaper, of course it will be cheaper. If you see a pair of shoes in Size or Schuh for a certain price, you can easily get the exact same ones for up to a third of the price. Even plastic cups, salt, toys, ipods, jewellery are always cheaper on ebay. Can anybody name 3 shops in Dublin where they are selling things that are not offered on sale or clearance that consistently undercut ebay? I buy a lot of records, and I know that I can go to amazon.co.uk or ebay.co.uk and get an album for €12 that i would pay €15 for in Freebird or wherever. Maybe i feel inclined to do that because I own a business myself, and I don't mind paying that little bit extra because i enjoy going into stores rather than paying somebody i don't know. Even if it does mean that I have to bring my own lunch to work or not buy coffee in chain stores. Obviously some people are completely different, and that's totally cool.

Also, that copy of Snes Link to the Past that we sold for €50 was actually pristine with the map and tips. I thought that was a good price because it's currently going for up to £75 online. Lastly, I do price certain games higher, not because they are rare but because I love them so much and feel they're worth it. Ex: Bionic Commando for €19.95, or even Michael Jackson's Off the Wall Lp for €14.95. I guess that's why, although we sold it cheaper, I never faulted 3d games for selling Final Fantasy 7 or 8 for €50. I'm not really the best at conveying my thoughts online, so I apologize if what I just posted hasn't been particularly clear or readable. Anyway, take care y'all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not surprised to see 3DGames gone, their prices were rubbish, their stock a mess and their staff lacking in knowledge.

Can't say enough good things about Rage on the other hand. Picked up Outrigger on the Dreamcast for a tenner there last weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Lastly, I do price certain games higher, not because they are rare but because I love them so much and feel they're worth it.

I appreciate the explanation (not that you 'owe' anyone here an explanation, none of us have a God-given right to think we are entitled to one so fair play to you) but re the quote.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

It's a real shame if 3D Games is gone. Their prices weren't the best, but they actually bothered to stock things that the likes of gamestop and game wouldn't go near. Their PS2 selection in particular was rather good. Shops like these (and in particular the RAGE) can only be a good thing - I much prefer browsing shops and paying a few quid extra to walk out with my purchase in my hand as opposed to the lottery of online purchasing (have been burnt on that front a few times in the last year or so alone)

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I appreciate the explanation (not that you 'owe' anyone here an explanation, none of us have a God-given right to think we are entitled to one so fair play to you) but re the quote.... :confused:

I sell 1080 snowboarding for 9.95, cart only. I'm pretty sure you can get this game anywhere for under €3. To me, I feel it's worth €9.95 because I think it's unreal. Is it worth that to other people? Only a select few, which is why I now have so many copies as duplicates. So I end up giving the game for free as gifts to nice customers who by an N64 console. It probably sounds completely odd, but i do that with certain games. That's why I had bionic commando, bubble bobble, any probotector game, rainbow islands, adventure islands and a handful of other games priced higher than they are probably "worth" to most people, because they are worth that to me. That really is the only situation where I can think that our prices could be deemed as unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yeah, no explanation owed to anyone really as its a business and they can run it as they want.

But a business pricing a game or console higher just because they love it is not the way to go.

in every second hand shop that I have ever worked in (which has been quite a few over the last 13 years), it was the owner who always dictated the price, and be it concious or not, their personal taste always had a minor influence. there is no absolute guide for second hand music, books, clothes, or games.

who determines the value of a game? Zelda, Donkey Kong and Mario games were in heavy circulation, but they are not in bargain bins and still command a decent price.

Perhaps there is truth in there being no 'absolute' value. For example I think some PCB's are incredibly overpriced for common boards. It's fan demand and condition/completeness that drives prices. However the difference comes in to play with the more uncommon/rare stuff, not just PCB's of course.

Dictating prices by personal taste I think is wrong and you'll likely find the more informed customer will shy away from a purchase and look elsewhere for those particular titles.

RAGE has been slated openly on this forum because of it's erratic pricing but on a personal level I'd come clean and back a bricks and mortar any day because there simply isn't enough of these niche businesses in Ireland. It's an incredible risk to take and again, fair play to you for doing so.

However I won't allow my purchases be dictated on that kind of emotional level. Charge a fair price (even taking in to account the retail overheads tacked on) and build/retain customer loyalty.

Sorry if that sounds like I'm preaching some sort of lesson in business, I'm not, I wouldn't have a clue I've never run one, I'm just trying to make a point from a consumer vantage.

I sell 1080 snowboarding for 9.95, cart only. I'm pretty sure you can get this game anywhere for under €3. To me, I feel it's worth €9.95 because I think it's unreal. Is it worth that to other people? Only a select few, which is why I now have so many copies as duplicates. So I end up giving the game for free as gifts to nice customers who by an N64 console. It probably sounds completely odd, but i do that with certain games.

To me that sounds like bad business in the face of generosity. Depending on what you bought them in at wouldn't you be better off just pricing them at a lower price point, make a few bob and be rid of them? You can always still bundle up dupes with consoles as a little sweetener for the customer... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

RAGE has been slated openly on this forum because of it's erratic pricing

IMO that's exaggerating just a little bit. Yourself and a few others aren't a fan of the store / pricing, that's cool. But most of us (80-90% of the regulars here) have had nothing but positive experiences with them. A few overpriced (and a few underpriced :D) items are an exception with the generally well considered price they charge!

I just don't like to see them ripped apart for a few perceived mistakes.

IMO that's exaggerating just a little bit. Yourself and a few others aren't a fan of the store / pricing, that's cool. But most of us (80-90% of the regulars here) have had nothing but positive experiences with them. A few overpriced (and a few underpriced :D) items are an exception with the generally well considered price they charge!

I just don't like to see them ripped apart for a few perceived mistakes.

I wasn't ripping RAGE apart although I apologise if my statement of them being 'openly slated' seemed like it was tarnishing everyone with the same brush. It wasn't meant to come across that way.

I'm not a fan of the store pricing but I am a fan of the store and what it's trying to do.

imagine if i tacked on the overheads and had to charge €5 for fifa 99 as opposed to €1, there wouldn't be complaints, there would be murder! haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

RAGE is one of the best shops in town tbh! great selection of records and games! I myself have to dodge the place or i'd be broke!

imagine if i tacked on the overheads and had to charge €5 for fifa 99 as opposed to €1, there wouldn't be complaints, there would be murder! haha.

They'd all be camped outside Fade Street instead of Dame Street. :pac:

anyway, I gotta get back to work. it was nice chatting to you guys and i'm sorry if you think our prices are too high/unfair. we're doing the best we can to try and keep this shop up and running, while having a good time meeting like-minded people. i may (or may not) see you around. take care y'all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Every time I go to Dublin, I always drop in to RAGE. Easily one of my favouite stores and myself and the owner had a great chat about Street Fighter and all things retro. They are clearly passionate about their business in there.

You cannot beat browsing their stuff...it takes me back 25 years.

Anyways back on topic (3D-Games), I cannot remember ever visiting a store where the staff took so little interest. Even the gf commented that they seemed not to care one bit about the customers. In the 5-6 visits to the store, I was never once greeted, and it was always quiet enough. They'd just sit behind the counter, some with a puss on their faces, and pay no heed to you. Not a bit surpirsed if they close tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I haven't been to the RAGE in a while purely because I'm still suffering the financial hangover from my Tokyo trip, can't afford to buy the things I wouldn't be able to resist if I went in :)

In fairness to 3D Games, I've had conversations with one of the guys about GBA games and the PS2 Shin Megami Tensei games, nice guy and was genuinely interested in what he was selling. Can't speak for everyone working there obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

I sell 1080 snowboarding for 9.95, cart only. I'm pretty sure you can get this game anywhere for under €3. To me, I feel it's worth €9.95 because I think it's unreal. Is it worth that to other people? Only a select few, which is why I now have so many copies as duplicates. So I end up giving the game for free as gifts to nice customers who by an N64 console. It probably sounds completely odd, but i do that with certain games. That's why I had bionic commando, bubble bobble, any probotector game, rainbow islands, adventure islands and a handful of other games priced higher than they are probably "worth" to most people, because they are worth that to me. That really is the only situation where I can think that our prices could be deemed as unfair.

Fantastic to hear of some 1080 love! :D Its one of my all time favourite N64 games - a frickin' cast iron classic that is still amazing fun to this day!
    Perhaps there is truth in there being no 'absolute' value. For example I think some PCB's are incredibly overpriced for common boards. It's fan demand and condition/completeness that drives prices. However the difference comes in to play with the more uncommon/rare stuff, not just PCB's of course.

Dictating prices by personal taste I think is wrong and you'll likely find the more informed customer will shy away from a purchase and look elsewhere for those particular titles.

RAGE has been slated openly on this forum because of it's erratic pricing but on a personal level I'd come clean and back a bricks and mortar any day because there simply isn't enough of these niche businesses in Ireland. It's an incredible risk to take and again, fair play to you for doing so.

However I won't allow my purchases be dictated on that kind of emotional level. Charge a fair price (even taking in to account the retail overheads tacked on) and build/retain customer loyalty.

Sorry if that sounds like I'm preaching some sort of lesson in business, I'm not, I wouldn't have a clue I've never run one, I'm just trying to make a point from a consumer vantage.

I can kind of see the chap's point though. If he believes a game is of a high quality then it should be priced a little higher than other games that have had the same or similar circulation in the past. So long as he isn't selling the game for fifty bones or something silly then I think he will be fine. If a game is really good then people won't mind paying a little bit extra if they really want a quality game there and then. I'd have no problems paying a tenner for the quality that is 1080 Snowboarding for example, even though it is cheaper online. Its not much extra and its worth the money if I wanted to play a great game like that there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

3d games back open on Lower Ormond Quay, Dublin 1
    Contact us: 01 8729770
    Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

been there for about 6 months.
    unfortunately most of their stock seems to have suffered from water damage/damp while in storage, and is not worth buying imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

been there for about 6 months.
    unfortunately most of their stock seems to have suffered from water damage/damp while in storage, and is not worth buying imo.

I called in yesterday, they're having a clearance sale, I just checked out Xbox 360, PS1 and PS2 games and thought it was very pricey even with the sale. A lot of the tags clam the games are new but the boxes are opened and they're games that were released years ago, so are they actually new?

I didn't see anything that I wanted but the place is worth a look, if they're having a clearance sale and the labels are vague on how much is off they might be willing to haggle on multiple purchases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    3d games back open on Lower Ormond Quay, Dublin 1
    Contact us: 01 8729770
    Dublin

I got Zelda PH new still in the wrapper for €20 (reduced from €35 after a bit of a haggle) in there a few weeks back. What deals do you guys have on at the moment?

Shop could use a bit more light and maybe music in the background or somthing, seems very quiet. Maybe have game soundtracks playing??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Every game shop should have a signature tune playing 24/7 like Hard Off. It'd probably drive you insane if you worked there but sure you'll have that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I got Zelda PH new still in the wrapper for €20 (reduced from €35 after a bit of a haggle) in there a few weeks back. What deals do you guys have on at the moment?

Shop could use a bit more light and maybe music in the background or somthing, seems very quiet. Maybe have game soundtracks playing??

I doubt wampyrus works there, I reckon he just copied that info from somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

thats true i copied from their facebook page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I called in yesterday, they're having a clearance sale, I just checked out Xbox 360, PS1 and PS2 games and thought it was very pricey even with the sale. A lot of the tags clam the games are new but the boxes are opened and they're games that were released years ago, so are they actually new?

I didn't see anything that I wanted but the place is worth a look, if they're having a clearance sale and the labels are vague on how much is off they might be willing to haggle on multiple purchases.

Is it actually a clearance sale, or are they still doing their opening one? That one seemed to be lasting an eon.

**** all worth nabbing after day 2, but it did go on for yonks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Is it actually a clearance sale, or are they still doing their opening one? That one seemed to be lasting an eon.

**** all worth nabbing after day 2, but it did go on for yonks.

Well I don't know about the difference in prices but they have changed the labels and signs to clearance sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I had to use the torch on my phone the last time I was in there. Literally couldnt see the shelves it was so dark.

Advertisement