Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Me Make Pretzels?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Sounds like your oven is too hot and that you are not pre heating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

As insane as it sounds pretzels are made of Laugenteig which translates as "lye dough"; lye being another name for NaOH or caustic soda, into which the pretzels are dipped before baking. That is what gives them their taste and brownness. Your recipe makes no mention of caustic soda.

So it's up to you if you want to go ahead with it. You would need to be careful, of course. Maybe you can make them without the caustic soda too, I don't know.

it does.
    Dissolve the baking soda in 3 cups warm water in a shallow baking dish. Gently dip each pretzel in the soda solution, then arrange on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with the coarse salt. Bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes.

Sharrow wrote: »
    it does.

Baking soda and caustic soda are very different.

Using caustic soda in cooking sounds just about as crazy as using battery acid, but that's what is used and I don't think baking soda will give the same effect.

I see Lidl are selling pretzels now in their new bakery sections, if all else fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Thanks everyone!

I lowered the temp on the oven, made sure to pre-heat and added more baking soda to the solution and it turned out much, much better.

• Advertisement

Pics?

Nice one, Robdude. Glad they worked out for you!

I'm going to give them a go myself at some stage.

Sharrow wrote: »
    Pics?

Sorry - I didn't think of it :( But I'll be making them again this weekend and will snap some. Mine didn't look exactly like the images on the website with the recipe, but I was very happy with them the 2nd time (1st time was pretty bad).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I made pretzels a few weeks ago, it's a bit of a pain in the ass to dip them in the baking soda solution but they turned out perfect!!!

Look forward to seeing pics of yours...

These were mine

http://i.imgur.com/7LDn3.jpg

(I can't seem to embed the image, it's coming out giant!)

tfak85 wrote: »
    I made pretzels a few weeks ago, it's a bit of a pain in the ass to dip them in the baking soda solution but they turned out perfect!!!

Look forward to seeing pics of yours...

These were mine

http://i.imgur.com/7LDn3.jpg

(I can't seem to embed the image, it's coming out giant!)

Wow! I'm impressed; those look like they are from a bakery :)

Mine weren't quite so photogenic

• Advertisement

Like I said, it's not very pretty, but adjusting the oven made it so much better! Thanks everyone.

Pretzel.png

I still would like to get the tops darker without the bottoms getting burnt; but this is a step in the right direction.

Advertisement