Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commuter bike - Cube Town

• 10-10-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

So there's been loads of threads about bikes commuting to work and here's another one. Most threads I've read people have specific budgets in mind. I'm kinda wondering why bikes are so expensive.

I was looking at a bike, Cube Town, it was 700 euro and on the cycle to work scheme. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but not by much. Thought I'd get a good bike for 500 to 600. My commute is about 4.5km each way. Plus I might need to cycle around town or whatever once or twice a week at about 10km each time. Basically, my use would be very little. I'm currently cycling to work on a mountain bike that I bought off adverts for 80 euro. The bike is fine, but I feel like I'm definitely using too much energy to make the thing go! Which is one reason why I want to upgrade, so it's easier and more pleasant cycling to work.

What's people's take on the bike I mentioned Cube Town. What advantage would it have versus a bike that was a couple of hundred euro cheaper?

Considering my bike needs and that I'm currently cycling an 80 quid bike, could some people who know more about bikes than me advise on what to look out for and what exactly I'm getting for my money.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Basically better parts/tyres possibly better lighter frame, cube make good quality bikes ,i have mine a year now and with a little care from myself the irish weather hasnt made a spot of rust on anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

A carerra subway (€350) from halfords or a bottom of the range Giant rapid or Escape (€525) would be cheaper than Cube and still do the job for you.

There is a point at below around €300 where bikes become BSOs (bicycle shaped objects). Do a search for the term in google and read the articles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Does your MTB have a suspension fork?

Swapping a MTB for a hybrid with suspension fork like the Cube Town isn't going to make your commute any faster or easier unless the MTB is really badly maintained, e.g. the bottom bracket or derailleurs are screwed.

What tyres are you running? If you have fat knobblies stick some skinnier high pressure tyres on it. That'll make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

My MTB is pretty badly maintained, a bit of rust gathering and it has big fat tyres on it. I'm pretty sure anything would be an upgrade really!

I don't want to spend any money on the bike I'd rather get a new one, if even just for the chance to have a nice new toy to play with! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fair enough, retail therapy is a good enough reason but a new hybrid with a suspension fork really won't be any faster than a MTB with slick tyres on it, and will be more nickable.

Find something with a rigid fork, like these:

Cube Hyde Bike 2012
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=47727

Cube Hyde Pro Bike 2012
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=48158

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

Thanks for the advise. Anybody know of a good place to buy? I live in the city centre, went to a bike shop just off Capel Street was gonna buy there, but open to any suggestions.

Advertisement