Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Limerick bands to look out for?

• 10-10-2011 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey everyone, I'm new to Limerick City and want to see a few good bands and know good live acts in the area. I know the band "Leading Armies" is playing wednesday night somewhere and "The Deans" are playing in Foleys on thursday. any other events that happen would be much appreciated such as DIE in Dolans.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

There was a thread a while back on Limerick's music scene.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62518351

Good place to start. I saw The Hip-neck Blues Collective recently and thought they were awesome, check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 StephStarbuck

We Should Be Dead are a great Limerick band...don't know if they do many gigs here though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

If you like heavy metal then you will love

"The Siege of Limerick VI

Sunday, October 30 at 12:00pm - October 31 at 2:30am
    25 bands from the four corners of Ireland (and further a field) will descend upon Dolans Warehouse.

2 Stages

FREE IN"

Watch out for Dark Matter. Limerick band. They are excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

yogalady wrote: »
    If you like heavy metal then you will love

"The Siege of Limerick VI

Sunday, October 30 at 12:00pm - October 31 at 2:30am
    25 bands from the four corners of Ireland (and further a field) will descend upon Dolans Warehouse.

2 Stages

FREE IN"

Watch out for Dark Matter. Limerick band. They are excellent

I am so in!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Che Guitarrista

I think my band is playing the day before the Siege so we can go and see it :)

I like all types of music. Blues, Rock, Reggae, Dubstep electronica, not too keen on properly heavy metal or screamo, but I still like it live for the raw energy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Dark matter don't have any vocalist. It just the music so not your typical heavy metal band. They are fantastic. And as you say nothing like the energy from a live gig

Live music is brilliant, I really love instrumental bands that pull it off well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Pavlov's Dogs a Limerick/Cork/Spanish band play Dolan's on Nov 19th. They are made up of two exmembers of The Driven and a few other Cork bands. Should be a good gig.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

The Driven were brilliant and should have been huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    The Driven were brilliant and should have been huge

Good band alright, but how Darren did not end up huge is beyond me. I carried him out of enough pubs years ago for him to have grown in size.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Fox Jaw Bounty Hunters and They Might Be Dead would be my choice from the local scene.

Pavlov's Dog are a good shout as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Shardborne

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What ever happened to teenage sensations Soloway? They were supporting Diamond Head and everything a few years ago.

LEADING ARMIES GIG- at the Courtyard Venue these guys are deadly. Mike from Savens (the insane guitarist / pianist) is in this band :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

+1 on the Siege Of Limerick for metal; I know taste is subjective and all, but I really feel it's the best music festival in Limerick these days. Great atmosphere, and great bands. Gets better and better every year. Even if you're not into metal, it's a great show, and seeing as it's free in, it's better than sitting at home on the bank holiday sunday. :pac:

BTW, to yogalady, I'm the new bassist for Dark_matter, delighted to hear you like the stuff! :D

Best way to check out new bands would be to randomly attend gigs around town. Even if you've never heard of the band before, it's nice to be able to make your own opinion on a band as opposed to relying on others recommendations.

The Courtyard Venue (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002665086613) do gigs from Original bands every Wednesday night. It's well worth popping in every week, there's been some great acts there for the past few weeks. Now that College season is back in, there's a DJ til late. Free in, and free finger food. Decent venue! Generally the lighter side of rock n' roll, Indie, Alternative, Blues etc.

Foleys has some good bands on every now and again. I'm not a fan of the venue to be honest, but it's acceptable enough. Deans are playing there soon, as you said. They've played there a few times over the past few months.

If you like your metal, Christ Agony (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=215999208465024) are playing in Dolans this Thursday night. Going to be an excellent gig, so well worth the 10 quid in.

Again, metal, Wolves In The Throne Room (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=263958610298400) are playing in Dolans on the 26th of October. This is their last tour ever, so if you're a fan, definitely call in if you can.

There's loads of other cool gigs coming up soon, keep an eye on all the various facebook pages for the Venues around town, that's probably the best way of keeping up with it all!

I like foleys, Its where I started my "To Arthur" then ended up at DIE in Dolans. Thursday should be a good night. Deans are playing for free in Foleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

What ever happened to teenage sensations Soloway? They were supporting Diamond Head and everything a few years ago.
    They just kinda faded away, bit weird that they didn't announce a split.
    Saw Tony's band Psykosis in Dublin, and Shane is with The Hip-neck Blues Collective, haven't a clue about the others.

leading armies was a deadly gig

Advertisement