Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for history research topic?

Options
  • 10-10-2011 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

i really need a topic for my History Research Topic.
    I dont want anything to do with Irish history or World War 2.
    All suggestions welcome.
    I was thinking of doing something about Music or maybe fashion...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

For your own sake, come up with it yourself or with the help of a lecture/tutor. Only you know what you like, what you're good at etc.

Besides, its awfully lazy to sign up to boards just to ask other people to do your work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BrianBlessed

Think about what would interest you and then talk to whoever is running the research module. At the very least they should be able to direct you to a member of the department who would know more about the topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

WeeBushy wrote: »

Besides, its awfully lazy to sign up to boards just to ask other people to do your work for you.

Also fairly stupid to use your actual name as your username also...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I have a feeling this person is talking about their Leaving Cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

I find the economic analysis of the great famine to be lacking, in places. You any good at economics?

By the way, you will never come up with a decent topic without engaging with the literature. Read some journal papers. Do you disagree with the premise of some? Why?

The seed of your response is your research topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

We don't like little leaving cert students on the UCD forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I know a bit about the history of South Africa, and was surprised to find that the JJ Library has shelves full of British Colonial records. For example, I just stumbled on all the correspondence leading up to the Second Boer War, from both sides. If you do something related to the British Empire, that would be a great resource, I think.

You could try looking at the First Boer War (1880-1), which tends to be overshadowed by the much longer and nastier Second Boer War (1899-1903). It was only a couple of years after the disastrous Zulu campaign that included the rout at Isandlwana. Losing to the Boers was the perfect way to end a horrible decade. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I find the economic analysis of the great famine to be lacking, in places. You any good at economics?

Cormac O Grada has that pretty well documented.

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Cormac O Grada has that pretty well documented.

I know. But no research is perfect, I'm sure you will agree. I studied both Economics and History, as well as an MA in Economics, where I was lucky enough to be taught Economic History by the man himself. However, in my reading of the literature, I found the economic analysis of his peers to be lacking, as is the vast majority of economic analysis in history (apart from economic history). Historians pretending to know something about economics is cringeworthy, and before you jump, I do not include Cormac in that, as we all know he is an economic historian.

Cheerio.

But the OP said she doesn't want anything about Irish history, and I think the shortage of potatoes falls under that heading., so ... I still think something about the British Empire is feasible, given the excellent resources in the Library.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    But the OP said she doesn't want anything about Irish history, and I think the shortage of potatoes falls under that heading., so ... I still think something about the British Empire is feasible, given the excellent resources in the Library.

You're right, expecially given that Ireland and the Irish had nothing to do with the aforementioned empire.

You're right, expecially given that Ireland and the Irish had nothing to do with the aforementioned empire.
    Really? Could have fooled me. I thought the Famine involved both Irish history and the British Empire. It's not an either/or choice, so if you were trying to be sarcastic, you just fell for a false dichotomy. The OP was quite clear about what she doesn't want; besides, the topic of the Famine has been killed to death already. :p

— Kingsley Amis

bnt wrote: »
    Really? Could have fooled me. I thought the Famine involved both Irish history and the British Empire. It's not an either/or choice, so if you were trying to be sarcastic, you just fell for a false dichotomy. The OP was quite clear about what she doesn't want; besides, the topic of the Famine has been killed to death already. :p

All the more reason to re-re-revise. How else would historians earn a living?

Anyway, how about history of jumpers? That's fashion!

Advertisement