Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to beome a chef?

Options
  • 10-10-2011 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

I put cooking into boards.ie and came across this forum :) so hope its the right place.

I'd like to learn how to become a chef really. But havnt got a single clue beyond Failte Ireland in how to learn.

Can anyone help me out? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you are looking to become a qualified chef I suggest that you'd be best to check out the appropriate fora under the Edu category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

DIT Cathal Brugha Street

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Have a look at the CAO website, put in your college choice and it will give you a list of courses.

http://www.cao.ie/courses.php

I think you have to apply via the Central Applications Office instead of through the colleges themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Go and work from the bottom up in a restaurant. The only real way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

My younger brother got himself into a very nice restaurant on Baggot St this summer, straight out of leaving cert, 17years old.

He worked for free for a few weeks, then for 50quid a week for a couple of months and now he's earning about 250/week.

He works about 50hrs a week but is absolutely loving it, the head chef had him on mains after a month or so and told him that, if he doesn't want to, he may not need to go to Cathal Brugha..

If it is something you think you are interested in but can't manage to get into a kitchen right away perhaps you can do a part time course in DIT, or, if you have a spare 10Gs lying around just pop down to Ballymaloe for three months

http://www.cookingisfun.ie/pages/courses/certificate_course/index.php

• Advertisement
Advertisement