Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm Adaptations and certification

Options
  • 10-10-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi

I would like to get some upgrades to my alarm like a gsm dialler and a panic button - the company which put it in originally is gone out of business so is it possible to get another company in to do this work and will they then issue a new EN50131 cert for my insurance? If so anyone got any rough Idea what type of money am I talking about and if there is any other improvements I could make to secure my home?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

shamu2new wrote: »
    Hi

I would like to get some upgrades to my alarm like a gsm dialler and a panic button - the company which put it in originally is gone out of business so is it possible to get another company in to do this work and will they then issue a new EN50131 cert for my insurance? If so anyone got any rough Idea what type of money am I talking about and if there is any other improvements I could make to secure my home?
    Thanks

That should all be possible. What type system have you installed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭shamu2new

I have a wired system with two aritec control panels and all doors and windows have contacts. But the alarm is not connected to anything so when it rings I depend on someone hearing it and Im in quite a rural area.- I would like it to ring my mobile. I also have no panic button and would probably like another control panel installed in my bedroom - is that any help -the house is a bungalow - its very easy to access wires in the attic as its floored.

I have a wired system with two aritec control panels and all doors and windows have contacts. But the alarm is not connected to anything so when it rings I depend on someone hearing it and Im in quite a rural area.- I would like it to ring my mobile. I also have no panic button and would probably like another control panel installed in my bedroom - is that any help -the house is a bungalow - its very easy to access wires in the attic as its floored.

If you look at the control panel does it say what aritech system it is ?

You can get a GSM to add on to most systems. Most keypads would have a panic built in that may just need to be activated in the programming.

Just had a look now and its an Aritec CS350

It is an old system but this GSM can be added to it.

• Advertisement

Hi altor - thanks a million for that. Do you think my best best would be to contact some alarm companies to see if they will fit that and the control panel and issue the new cert? - Is the dialler the way to go - I cant afford to have a monitored system - really appreciate your help as had an incident the other night and need to improve security for my own peace of mind.

Hi altor - thanks a million for that. Do you think my best best would be to contact some alarm companies to see if they will fit that and the control panel and issue the new cert? - Is the dialler the way to go - I cant afford to have a monitored system - really appreciate your help as had an incident the other night and need to improve security for my own peace of mind.

Your welcome,

You wont be able to certify that system as it does not conform to the EN50131 standard. Another installer might install a different GSM but it is easy enough to add a GSM to your alarm like most others out there. A new bell box on an old system is always a good deterrent as it looks like you have got a new system installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

Im very sure that unit has some spare inputs that can be programmed to act as panic, arm, bell sounder, dialler etc. you could wire these up yourself easily, but inputs have to be programmed. Dialler programmed also. You dont need a new cert for this, its not going to save a cent on your insurance by adding them.

Hi
    thanks for that - I wouldnt be too competant to do it myself - want a new cert as I cant locate the old one and the system was put in in 2001- I just havent a clue how to get a copy of the old one seeing as company is no longer there and want to make sure my insurance is ok and more important my alarm is as good as I can afford. It hasnt given a days trouble up to now Touch Wood!!

whizbang wrote: »
    Im very sure that unit has some spare inputs that can be programmed to act as panic, arm, bell sounder, dialler etc. you could wire these up yourself easily, but inputs have to be programmed. Dialler programmed also. You dont need a new cert for this, its not going to save a cent on your insurance by adding them.

Very true, For the little discount it is not worth the money. If the op wanted to install the GSM himself he could just trigger the alarm off the outside bell output without needing to program any outputs. The panel on the CS350 on the keypad is arrow up and arrow down together but again this would have to be activated by the installer when he installed the alarm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement