Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying alone to Perth

Options
  • 10-10-2011 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Flying over on the 28th of november on my own via frankfurt, singapore, perth. I am a very anxious flyer, petrified of it. Will get some valium for the flight but i am just wondering if there is anybody flying the same day? Just to get someone to chat to and keep my mind off things. Or does anybody have any tips?

Will be meeting the girlfriend in the airport so if your going on your own too and have nobody to meet at least you will have company when you get there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Full.Duck wrote: »
    Flying over on the 28th of november on my own via frankfurt, singapore, perth. I am a very anxious flyer, petrified of it. Will get some valium for the flight but i am just wondering if there is anybody flying the same day? Just to get someone to chat to and keep my mind off things. Or does anybody have any tips?

Will be meeting the girlfriend in the airport so if your going on your own too and have nobody to meet at least you will have company when you get there.

have you flown before , is it a case that you find the idea of being up in the air scary despite not ever having flown

even you have flown before and still find it a daunting experience , perhaps you can console yourself in the fact that flying is far and away the safest way to travel , something like one in ten million flights ends in tragedy , you litterally have a better chance of winning the lottery or being hit by lightning , in terms of minimising the whole going up and coming down sensation , sitting in the middle aisle as opposes to by the window leaves you somewhat removed from the experience , personally speaking , the only thing i dont like about flying is the boredom , australia is such a long way , btw , if you had went with eithad airways , you would only have required one stop in abu dhabi , they fly direct from dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

Yeah i have flown plenty. Just still hate it. Longest was 7 hours. But i have just been diagnosed with bad anxiety. Dont take tablets for it as i want to control it myself. Started getting panic attacks so im more afraid of getting a panic attack on a plane which would be the worst case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Yeah i have flown plenty. Just still hate it. Longest was 7 hours. But i have just been diagnosed with bad anxiety. Dont take tablets for it as i want to control it myself. Started getting panic attacks so im more afraid of getting a panic attack on a plane which would be the worst case scenario.

I didn't fly for nearly 20 years because of my terror! Like you, I got valium for my first flight after all that time. You will be fine with the valium. :)

Have you taken them before? If not then take it slowly, as in take half when you start to feel really anxious. Give it half an hour to see how it takes the edge off. If you find you are still very anxious then take the other half.... and so on.

Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Out of interest how much did the flights cost, I'll be doing the same route at the end of this month and have nothing booked yet!

sudzs wrote: »
    I didn't fly for nearly 20 years because of my terror! Like you, I got valium for my first flight after all that time. You will be fine with the valium. :)

Have you taken them before? If not then take it slowly, as in take half when you start to feel really anxious. Give it half an hour to see how it takes the edge off. If you find you are still very anxious then take the other half.... and so on.

Good luck!

Yeah. they do the trick alright. Want to get them legit though so id say the doctor will probably just give me d2's. Was hoping d25's ;) or something haha

• Advertisement

FearDark wrote: »
    Out of interest how much did the flights cost, I'll be doing the same route at the end of this month and have nothing booked yet!

The flights where €1050 return (do not plan on returning though) just for precaution. Did not want to leave it till December because the price would be jacked up. It will probably be around the same cost for you. Just check out a flight comparison website and check which will be the cheapest. Mine just came with my visa.

i had a bad accident in 2007 and subsequently suffered heart palpitations as a result from the stress of the pain , theese are a form of panic attacks , the doctor gave me tablets for a while which done the trick , i eventually got on top of the problem after about a month and havent had one since febuary 2008 , i wouldnt be too against taking the tablets for a short while , panic attacks are no joke and can become an issue if you dont deal with them

The flights where €1050 return (do not plan on returning though) just for precaution. Did not want to leave it till December because the price would be jacked up. It will probably be around the same cost for you. Just check out a flight comparison website and check which will be the cheapest. Mine just came with my visa.

thats cheap if its with singapore airlines , im going to new zealand in either november or january for three weeks , eithad are by far the cheapest at around 1100 , singapore is hundreds more

irishh_bob wrote: »
    i had a bad accident in 2007 and subsequently suffered heart palpitations as a result from the stress of the pain , theese are a form of panic attacks , the doctor gave me tablets for a while which done the trick , i eventually got on top of the problem after about a month and havent had one since febuary 2008 , i wouldnt be too against taking the tablets for a short while , panic attacks are no joke and can become an issue if you dont deal with them

thats cheap if its with singapore airlines , im going to new zealand in either november or january for three weeks , eithad are by far the cheapest at around 1100 , singapore is hundreds more

I got the panic attacks from smoking weed, since then i have giving it up and only get them once a month or so. I know the signs when the come on now, starts with a big rush of blood through my body and my senses heighten. So when that happens i breath slowly, relax and talk to someone constantly to take my mind off it and i find that works perfectly. I havent had a full blown one in ages. I dont like the idea of taking tablets to get rid of something my mind is causing. Only for recreational use ;). Just taking valium for the flight because if i got one on the flight id freak out.

Any who back on topic, yeah the flights where cheap enough, flying with quantas.

I got the panic attacks from smoking weed, since then i have giving it up and only get them once a month or so. I know the signs when the come on now, starts with a big rush of blood through my body and my senses heighten. So when that happens i breath slowly, relax and talk to someone constantly to take my mind off it and i find that works perfectly. I havent had a full blown one in ages. I dont like the idea of taking tablets to get rid of something my mind is causing. Only for recreational use ;). Just taking valium for the flight because if i got one on the flight id freak out.

Any who back on topic, yeah the flights where cheap enough, flying with quantas.

for whatever reason , i got them at night in bed , would wake up at around three and would often have to manage my breathing for a full hour so as to prevent an attack , as i said earlier , this was during a time when i was in serious pain due to an accident , the stress was pretty brutal , it was no joke at the time and i couldnt seem to control it , looking back , i dont see it as a big deal , im not nervous by disposition

oh your flyin with qantas , i just assumed it was singapore , i can only go by internet sites but qantas are regarded as the ryanair of the long haul , cheap but little in the way of customer service or comfort , hope your not too long in the leg , the seat pitch is very short compared to other airlines according to skytrax website , thats a real issue for me as im tipping 6 ft 3 , another example of the curse of being too tall

• Advertisement

Yeah thats what i heard but i just went for the cheapest option. Im only 5'10" so that should not be a problem. As regard customer service and all that im not really bothered. Its the boredom and anxiousness

Advertisement