Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dilema mow or graze

• 10-10-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

a quick question i'd like advice on . have fields with a nice flush of grass , about 3 to ten inches, its on heavy ground so do i (a) mow and wrap with my own gear and make as the old lads would say poor watery silage to supply an already over supplied market , i.e . plenty of fodder out there.
    or (b) buy in a large amount of expensive store lambs and graze
    or (c) give it to a neighbour to over stock it and graze it off swiftly and not recieve a red cent for it
    all advice welcome and appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

alleyb wrote: »
    a quick question i'd like advice on . have fields with a nice flush of grass , about 3 to ten inches, its on heavy ground so do i (a) mow and wrap with my own gear and make as the old lads would say poor watery silage to supply an already over supplied market , i.e . plenty of fodder out there.
    or (b) buy in a large amount of expensive store lambs and graze
    or (c) give it to a neighbour to over stock it and graze it off swiftly and not recieve a red sent for it
    all advice welcome and appreciated
    What to do Im lost
    Not a fan of cutting at this late stage.
    Could be a bit of value to be had in forward store lambs 44kgs + at the min

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OP what is the fencing like and where is it?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Graze it unless you want to be looking at flat water bales in the yard. How would you cut and bale 3" high grass? Half of it wouldn't even get picked up with the baler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I'd vote for either b or c

I reckon it's better to have it grazed off for the winter, if you dont want to deal with the sheep option.

if you have a neighbour who'd oblige then how bad, you might get a favour back someday from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

let the stock do the work at this time of year grass ina bale this time of year is not worth just the cost of putting into a bale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Uibh Fhaile

Have you any neighbours with a zero-grazer ? Or just keep it for early grazing next year for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe the Plumber

I assume you have stock of your own, cattle presumably!

If so hold though, could get a lot of dry weather yet and might come in handy to give the cattle a break from the sheds.

If no stock then option B.

Advertisement