Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is this forum called Greystones and Charlesland?

Options
  • 10-10-2011 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Surely Charlesland is in Greystones! Isn't it?! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

It started out as a thread in another forum, about "Charlesland [in Greystones]".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

organic the way it came about. The title is appropriate for the content of the sub-forum. I would be in favour of changing it to Charlesland and Greystones.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

astrofluff wrote: »
    I would be in favour of changing it to Charlesland and Greystones.

Hilarious! Thanks for starting my day off with a laugh... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

It's a divisive topic this. Ask some Greystoners and Charlesland's not in Greystones. Ask a Charleslander and Charlesland is in Greystones.

Ok, so here is how I read it:

Greystones is a 'place' located in the townland of Rathdown Lower, in the Barony of Rathdown, in the County of Wicklow.

Charlesland is a townland in the Barony of Newcastle, in the County of Wicklow.

Ergo, the forum should be called Charlesland and Rathdown Lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Is Greystones not a place that touches both townlands?

Do those of us in Charlesland not get to live in a 'place'?:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

isnt greystones part of charlesland :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

According to wikipedia, that veritable source of information:

Greystones (Irish: Na Clocha Liatha) is a coastal town and small seaside resort in County Wicklow, Ireland. It is located on Ireland’s east coast, 8 km (5.0 mi) south of Bray and 27 km (17 mi) south of Dublin (it is within the Greater Dublin Area), with a population in the region of 15,000.
    The town’s name is derived from a one kilometer stretch of coastal grey rocks situated between two beaches; this rocky area is known as the sea front. The harbour area and the railway station are at the northern and southern ends respectively. The North Beach, which begins at the harbour, is a stony beach and some of its length is overlooked by the southern cliffs of Bray Head, which are subject to erosion. The South Beach is a broad expansive sandy beach about one kilometer long. It is a Blue Flag beach and receives many visitors and tourists, mainly in the summer.
    The town is bordered by the Irish Sea to the east, Bray Head to the north and the Wicklow Mountains to the west.
    In 2008, Greystones was named as the world's 'most livable community' at the LivCom Awards in China

Charlesland is located on the southside of Greystones in County Wicklow about 25 kilometres from Dublin city centre. Charlesland has about 1,500 houses and apartments, a neighbourhood shopping complex with supermarket, hairdressers, pizza take-away, a pharmacy, and also a number of pre-schools and a large sports and recreation complex. A major new shopping centre, retail warehousing, primary school and garda station may be built in the future (planning application with An Bord Pleanala as of March 2008).

Hmmm.... Where would you rather live??? A place known for its beauty, beaches and tourism, or for its fabulous (ha!) shopping complex... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

According to Wiki Elvis lives in Charlesland. He is often often seen out walking his dog and admiring the Yaris cars in the estate. I also heard he owned the La Touche hotel but I am not sure I believe that one.

Robertr wrote: »
    Do those of us in Charlesland not get to live in a 'place'?:(:(:(

The place you live in is called 'The Glen'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement