Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite cover art?

• 10-10-2011 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

I've been checking out some games in my collection and noticing some of the great cover art we used to enjoy many years ago. At the weekend I also bought Night Striker for the PS1, though not for it's cover art, more (for some really odd reason) that I absolutely adore the Mega CD cover art for it.

Go figure how the hell I made that purchasing decision, I don't get it either.

I love the Mega CD cover art so much I'm trying to find a poster of it and frame it if such a thing exists.

It got me to thinking, what games do you really love the cover art for? The games don't have to be amazing, they can be rubbish, this is about the artwork. These are a handful of my personal favourites. I happen to love the games too, even the weird Jimmy Carr game (in no order of preference and yes, most of them are shooting games!).

1. Night Striker (Mega CD)
    nightstriker-megacd.jpg

2. Tatsujin (PC Engine)
    COVER-Tatsujin.jpg

3. Darius Gaiden (Saturn)
    dgaid.jpg

4. RefRain Prism Memories (PC)
    Refrain%20Prism%20Memories%20NEW%20EDITION.jpg

5. Bomber Man Panic Bomber (PC Engine)
    pce_game_boomerman.gif

6. Wildtrax (Super Famicom)
    588705_4593_front.jpg

7. Passionate Hotblooded Athletes: The Diary Of Coach Nakimushi (PS1)
    capa1.jpg

8. Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire (PC Engine)
    COVER-Sapphire.jpg

9. Final Fantasy VI (Super Famicom)
    final-fantasy-vi-640x352.jpg

10. Darius R (Game Boy Advance)
    1238492838-00.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

Not as exotic as your choices, but I've always loved the PAL box art for Turok 2.

199127_87854_front.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

This cover definitely compelled me to purchase Barbarian:

TV8fn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

DinoRex wrote: »
    This cover definitely compelled me to purchase Barbarian

Forgot about yer wan. Great jabs. :D

Maria Whittaker. She had her own strip poker game on the C64.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

TV8fn.jpg

Oh I had this mess for the Speccy! Good times! Weren't there different poses on the inlay?

• Advertisement

Maria Whittaker. She had her own strip poker game on the C64.

That's the one. I thought it was Linda Lusardi. She had great nogs n'all. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The NES mega man games have famously awesome cover art. The first game wins it by a large margin though:

1104774873-00.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The NES mega man games have famously awesome cover art. The first game wins it by a large margin though:

It reminds me of Tron a bit and the man with the helmet shaped like a bell end on the cover of Missile Command...

Creatures%28Thalamus%29FrontCover.jpg

Had this and the sequel, both full price, when they were first released. Wish I still had them. I remember my free fuzzy wuzzy too! Great games.

• Advertisement

Always loved the acronym too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The covers Roger Dean did for the early Psygnosis was wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A lot of my favourites are the original artwork for Japanese Megadrive games. Why they westernized these covers I'll never know. The originals were all far far better.

Japanese Alisa Dragoon

alisiaj.jpg

Japanese Gunstar Heroes (actually the full wrap around image for this is great)

gunstar-heroes-japan-cover.jpg

Japanese Strider

strider-cover.jpg

Japanese MUSHA Aliste

IMGP8179.jpg

Nevermind just favourite box art, this is one of my favourite images of all time.

AnotherWorld_Poster.jpg

Check out the weird 3D0 cover for it. They just cropped down to the little red haired dude :confused:

another_3DO_cover.jpg

And then here's what the Americans decided to do with it. /sigh

another_md-cover.jpg

The Panzer Dragoon Saga inner box art is also really lovely.

DSC_0007.jpg

And another great one!

DoomLarge.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The best box art ever is also one of the simplest - SMB3. It perfectly captures how much FUN the game is. I suppose it helps that it's one of the best games of all time too. :)

Super_Mario_Bros_3_boxfront.jpg

Nice choices o1s1n. Although I am a little disappointed not to see Darius II featured there with the MD games. That cover art is spectacular. I also like Dangerous Seed and Heavy Unit too.

Not sure about SMB 3. It's iconic for sure, but for me personally it's more an epic piece of marketing genius than quality artwork. Good choice though in that respect. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Nice choices o1s1n. Although I am a little disappointed not to see Darius II featured there with the MD games. That cover art is spectacular. I also like Dangerous Seed and Heavy Unit too.

Not sure about SMB 3. It's iconic for sure, but for me personally it's more an epic piece of marketing genius than quality artwork. Good choice though in that respect. :)

Have you seen No. 7 on your own list?? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

SecretMana.jpg

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Have you seen No. 7 on your own list?? :pac:

Yes. It's brilliant! It has Jimmy Carr on it! :D

As you know I actually own that game, and it's not as bad as the cover art or, worse still, the very bizarre pages of the manual would have you believe.

Remind me to make some scans of them.

Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »

Darius II has a great cover alright. There are just too many good Japanese Megadrive covers to list them all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Been doing nothing but browsing the Et Tu Gamer galleries for the past 2 nights.

Chock-full of ABSURDLY HIGH RES art.

Ico is still the best ever.
    pP3ndl.jpg

And this image reminds me that I must seek out Last Window one of these days.
    N85ncl.jpg

@ safetyboy: Hi-5
    og5Wyl.jpg

The cover art for Ico reminds me of the art for Catch Me If You Can and Exit for some reason.

catch_me_if_you_can.jpg

pal-ds-exit_ds.jpg

The main inspiration for it was apparently "The Nostalgia of the Infinite" by Giorgio de Chirico.

TheNostalgiaoftheInfinite.jpg

Aww that's boring! Exit would have been a better inspiration. Great game! :pac:

Master of the Universe

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The main inspiration for it was apparently by Giorgio de Chirico.

Oh wow, after seeing that Chirico painting, the Ico cover suddenly looks very amateurish in comparison.

Looked up Night Striker there.
    Wow, fantastic covers!
    9DOGh.jpg
    o7G25.jpg

The western and japanese snatcher box art I thought was great:

snatcher-front.jpg

snatcher-front.jpg

Japanese Dragon Quarter box art:

561476_45064_front.jpg

Japanese cover art for grandia

675514-197484_13761_front.jpg

Western and Japanese covers for Fragile Dreams (started this game and loving it):

36142_fragile_dreams_farewell_ruins_of_the_moon-print.png

cover_large.jpg

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Looked up Night Striker there.
    Wow, fantastic covers!
    9DOGh.jpg
    o7G25.jpg

Yup. I have a copy of the PS1 version in the post on it's way to me. The Mega CD cover is my favourite though. Still looking to make up a poster of it.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I always really liked the western Herzog Zwei artwork. It's a great action shot.

Herzog2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Oh wow, after seeing that Chirico painting, the Ico cover suddenly looks very amateurish in comparison.

Id love a print of it

Master of the Universe

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Id love a print of it

I had a print done of it a while back, came out pretty well. Think it was from Snapfish? They were cheap to get done up anyway, nice glossy finish too. You need a really super high resolution scan of it though to get a decent image.

The resolution of these two were really high, but any bigger than this and they'd start getting blurry.

Prints1.jpg

The only two good gaming images I came across that could go up to A2, possibly A1 poster size were the following.

6-1.jpg

I think if you wanted to get ICO done big you'd need to scan up the cover yourself and really not hold back on the dpi. All the images I found online just couldn't go above the size of the print in that photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I was talking about the Nostalgia of the Infinite painting but the same still applies :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The western and japanese snatcher box art I thought was great:

snatcher-front.jpg

snatcher-front.jpg

They had a comic based on Snatch, it featured in a November/December 1994 issue of CVG irc. It was quite good, it was essentially the detective dude arguing over coffee with this bird. The artwork was superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I've always much preferred the Probotector artwork and character designs to Contra.

Probotector%201.jpg

NESProbotector%202box.jpg

super-probotector-alien-rebels-pal-box-art.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

street_fighter_alpha_2_02.jpg

I really like this one, by far and away my favourite Street Fighter cover. Looks great on the black box as well.
    Been trying for months to get a cheap copy boxed and in good nick. Don't think it will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Couple more :
    Z Bitmap brothers classic
    Z_The_Bitmap_Brothers.PNG

Cyberia2
    Cyberia2-sm.jpg

Speedball
    Speedball_video_game_cover.jpg?timestamp=1304497933251

xenon2_title.jpg
    This isn't cover art but should have been

943816305-00.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

To the surprise of no one, I'm a big fan of the Earthbound cover. It's rather epic in a very minor way, quite fittingly, with the large imposing Starman craning down and the reflection of a smiling Ness just visible in his visor. Terribly awesome.

o1s1n wrote: »

Still way better than this:

ico-north-american-cover.jpg

Snapfish

I was thinking of having them print some SHMUP A1 posters for me. Wish I could find an ultra hi res scan of the Mega CD Night Striker art though. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

Its not retro, so I'm cheating, but this cover art is making me want to buy this game!

Rune_Factory_3_Coverart.png

I also adore the cover art to Battle Garegga:

ss_game_battle_garegga.gif

When you see this game in the flesh you wouldn't believe the detail on the ships - truly classic art work.

Real Bout 2 on the AES has one of my favourite covers of all time. Its very evocative - you just want to play the ****ing thing when you see it! :D Its moody, kick-ass and atmospheric. A great cover for a great game:

real-bout-fatal-fury-2-the-newcomers-2610.jpg

Again not retro but its beautiful all the same - the cover art for PAL Okamiden. Lovely! :P

cover_large.jpg

Finally, the coolest box art ever - this dude is just so effortlessly cool. So cool in fact, he looks cool on a pink box!

The_King_of_Fighters_2002_(cover).jpg

K' is one of the best character designs in SNK history.

Forgot my all-time favourite cover EVER. Pity I don't own this particular game - maybe some day, maybe on the Neo Geo CD....

Ninja_Masters_Haou_Ninpou-ko.jpg

If thats not the best cover art of all time then I don't know what is!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TheChief36

Some good ones:

600full-diablo-ii-cover.jpg

This ones good especially if you know the story:
    946510059-00.jpg

This one speaks for itself:
    1178844673-00.jpg

This one not so much:
    gaping-person-on-cover-art-video-game-concept.jpg

They had a comic based on Snatch.