Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam. Sad face.

Options
  • 10-10-2011 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

Well I finally bit the bullet and installed steam.......but am getting this error.
    Steam.exe (main exception): To run Steam, you must first connect to the internet.

I am connected.

I've tried a few solutions as in deleting the blob file and checking that PeerGuardian was off. I've uninstalled and reinstalled.

I've also checked that it's an exception in my firewall settings. (windows 7 64bit). I've removed and added it again but still no joy.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,331 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

at the very least follow these instructions and post the logs here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55658498&postcount=5

you can also try to follow steps 1-4 just to be thorough. You can also try doing a soft reset on your modem and router by unplugging them and plugging them back in after a few seconds. Don't try a settings reset just yet.

How is your PC connected to the internet? Have you run a Network&Sharing diagnostic? What kind of Modem, Router, Internet Connection do you have and how many devices do you have connected in your home (laptops, iPods, smartphones, etc)?

You're not in an apartment block of some kind are you, or dormitory, or otherwise any other administrated network environment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Thanks I'll do that when I get home.

It's a UPC 25 meg line and I'm connected via wireless to the router.

At most I've only got three\four items connected. Housemates laptop\smartphone my xbox and laptop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did you open the required ports on the router?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Did you open the required ports on the router?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

Oooh!

Didn't find this when I was googling. I'll try this out too. Thanks a mil.

Well after seeing that steam updated itself when I logged in this morning I ran it and it's opening.........as far as letting me log in then I'm getting the "cannot connect" error. But at least it's getting this far!

Just want to thank yee for helping.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've had trouble before with steam not connecting. Deleting steam and redownloading it worked. It's drastic but might be the best option.

Advertisement