Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bite resistant ball for large dog?

• 10-10-2011 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

I have an old basket ball that has been excellent dog toy for years, totally PJR proof but now we have a bigger animal its not going to last much longer. So anyone got a suggestion for some sort of football size ball (or larger) that might last longer than 5 minutes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭DonnchaMc

Hahaha im having the same issue with my boxers and there only 10months... they chew through everything we give them in minutes, at this point im thinkn a steel bar is the only option...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Good luck with that, my friend is looking for one for their st bernard, he has destroyed everything so far, except a big version of this:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/balls_dog_toys

They got one online, its huge and he loves it, it wobbles around and keeps changing direction, it really funny watching him.
    Not sure of size of the one in link above, its yellow and egg shaped like that but really big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The Boomer Ball is fab. Its mad of really hard plastic so they cant bite into it. Get a big one so the dog cant get its teeth into it. My rotties love them.

http://boomerball.com/

Cant remember where i got mine but think it was in a pet shop or on one of the pet stores online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Thanks, the Boomer Snack ball looks the best so far but a little small; I'd really like the 20inch hearding ball from here (expensive and hassel in customs) but got some good ideas as I wonder if somewhere in the shed we have a big round bouy or fishing net float picked up from the beach?

We have 3 dogs so the problem with the smaller Boomer Snack Ball is that one dog can pick it up and run off with it doing "a look at me I've got the best toy in the world come and chase me" and all that game needs is a bit of stick or seaweed, a bigger ball can't (untill its punctured) be carried around and I was looking for a toy for a kick around.

Indoors an old hurling ball is a favourite toy as its one of those balls that rolls eratically on a hard floor.

Might even go and see if I can buy a job lot of cheap plastic footballs and put up with them not lasting very long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭jamesd

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/balls_dog_toys/146815

We have a large red one for our Akita and he loves it, cannot get it into his mouth and he has a v. large mouth :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Theres a ball by Trixie we stock that is quite large not as big as a football but is really bouncy and hard....totally non chewable. You should be able to get it anywhere that sells trixie products. Its a great product.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Be careful with Boomer Balls!!

I'm fairly certain the ball I had is responsible for flattening my dogs teeth. She couldn't get the ball in her mouth, but could wedge it in a corner and grind her teeth on it. All four incisors are slightly flattened at the tip now.

It's also rock hard. It bounced back off a wall and hit me in the ankle and the pain was something else. I'm wondering if the same thing happened to the dog as she's been limping for a while now. The vet thought it was a torn muscle so we have been resting her but the limp isn't going away. Once she was playing with the ball she let out a huge yelp so I'm wondering if the same thing happened to her..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Boomer Ball or Running Egg are good, I have the Boomer Ball for my 1yo Boxer and he loves it. I got the biggest one I could as they can get caught in the leg and do damage, and I also don't really let him have it on his own. With something as hard as that he could really hurt himself. In fairness though they are indestructible.

Advertisement