Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month unpaid trainee but qualified?

Options
  • 10-10-2011 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi

I recently graduated as a fully qualified beauty therapist and then started a job in a salon in which i was told that i would be unpaid for three months as i was still a trainee as i had no Salon experience. Im just wondering does anyone know if this is legal?. This salon was only recently opened and is hiring only trainees who are not getting paid either. The boss is also advising the trainees to sign on social welfare whilst working for her until they start getting paid. Please could you tell me if any of this is legal....thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You should have gotten a contract before you started. I never ever start a job without having a contract outlined and signed first. Otherwise they can be pretty sly when it comes to job terms.

When the salon was advertising the jobs, was it specified that it was unpaid work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 candygirl1007

Enderman wrote: »
    You should have gotten a contract before you started. I never ever start a job without having a contract outlined and signed first. Otherwise they can be pretty sly when it comes to job terms.

When the salon was advertising the jobs, was it specified that it was unpaid work?

i did sign a contract which stated that i was not going to be paid for 3 months but before signing it the boss told me that i was not going to get a paid position anywhere because i had no previous salon experience and was only out of college.

the job advertisment only said she was looking for trainees but nothing about unpaid work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Op, too bad about the ad. Keep looking for work.

Advertisement