Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you feel safe walking around the city anymore

Options
  • 10-10-2011 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Let me start off by saying that I am a Dublin city girl through, and for the last four years or so, I've been living smack bang in the middle of the city centre and loved almost every minute of it.

However, recently, I've been noticing a change in the people that hang around the city, to the point where I'm not sure I feel comfortable walking around town on my own at nighttime.

These days, when I'm coming home from a late train or bus, 99% of the time I have people coming right up to me and asking for money, change, whatever. Yesterday, I was coming off a 10pm train and, when I told a guy that I didn't have any change on me, he put his hands on my shoulders and his face right in mine and shouted that he didn't believe me. Scared the crap out of me, but some Luas security people were around and intervened.

The time before last, I was waiting on the Luas and a girl came over. She was off her face. Talking about how somebody had stabbed her in the stomach and showed me a (very old - think it was a cesarean) scar as proof. Her eyes were pointing in different directions and she was sweating from head to toe. She asked me for money and I said I didn't have any on me and just hopped across the Luas line to where other people were because I was a bit worried / scared.

Was outside a coffee shop recently, and a guy came over and asked us three girls for change. We all said no and he moved behind us and punched my friend in the back.

Earlier on tonight, I went out to Spar and, on my way back, I passed by a guy having a great conversation with a street light. Walked by him, noticed a short while later that he was walking in the same direction as I was. Thought nothing of it, until I got into my apartment complex and shut the gate after me and he came running up to the closed gate and started shouting at me to "beware" "my time will come".

I love where I live, but I'm really starting to dread being out at night. I don't think it has always been this bad, but I'm wondering are desperate times leading to desperate situations.

Does anybody else think that Dublin city is getting worse? I'm really thinking of moving at this stage because I feel nervous around my home anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I'm from Dublin. This is nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Not new, but I think it's getting worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Same as always, that sounds like the Luas Red Line from Connolly to Tallaght but city centre exclusive. Most drug clinics are in D1, hence the attraction of the worse of these types from all over to your location.
    As everyone knows, certain parts of the city are grand for walking and others not. Its grand where i am at night for example, it certainly is not in parts of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

It's not getting worse, if anything I'd say it's getting better. For the whole time I grew up around the city centre and hung around, I would never see the police searching junkies around the place. That's definitely changing. You're always going to get saps like those you spoke of though.

Don't be so timid. Maybe start a self defense course, get fitter and more confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

xoxyx wrote: »
    These days, when I'm coming home from a late train or bus, 99% of the time I have people coming right up to me and asking for money, change, whatever. Yesterday, I was coming off a 10pm train and, when I told a guy that I didn't have any change on me, he put his hands on my shoulders and his face right in mine and shouted that he didn't believe me. Scared the crap out of me, but some Luas security people were around and intervened.

That would scare the crap out of me too!.

Is it getting worse?, I really don't know tbh.

Personally I'm not intimidated by street people, but thats not to say I don't keep my wits about me when I'm out.

Jay D suggests a self defence class - tbh most are useless, but if its something which interests you then something reality based is the job.. They'll instruct you on street smarts, but visit the Self Defence & Martial Arts forum first for advice as a lot of these people are just exploiting your fears.

Other than all that I can only say stay switched on, and stay smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Jay D wrote: »
    Don't be so timid. Maybe start a self defense course, get fitter and more confident.

I think you're being quite unfair there. The situations described would scare the bejaysus out of most women (and a lot of men) no matter how well they are trained in self defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Junkie gets animated in depressed city shocker. Write to the indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I dont even like walking around town during the day - do my shopping in blanch or swords now- and certainly wouldn't go at night any more unless there was a crowd going.

Dovies wrote: »
    I dont even like walking around town during the day - do my shopping in blanch or swords now- and certainly wouldn't go at night any more unless there was a crowd going.

If your afraid to walk around the city during the day I think you have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

If your afraid to walk around the city during the day I think you have a problem.

Why? Scumbags and drug addicts aren't vampires that only come out in the dark!

• Advertisement

Dovies wrote: »
    Why? Scumbags and drug addicts aren't vampires that only come out in the dark!

There's a city full of people out there walking around without any bother. A CITY FULL. Who's crazy, you or them?
    p.s Vampires don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The city centre is getting worse particularly the Northside. O'Connell St, Boardwalk, Henry St, Abbey St, Parnell St all are complete sh1tholes now with junkies on every corner. It is truly shocking stuff. I think because the city centre is so small the problem is exaggerated. There are no nice parts of the Northside CC anymore and that is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I can't say I've noticed, OP. I don't mind walking around the city centre alone during the day or at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Warper wrote: »
    The city centre is getting worse particularly the Northside. O'Connell St, Boardwalk, Henry St, Abbey St, Parnell St all are complete sh1tholes now with junkies on every corner. It is truly shocking stuff. I think because the city centre is so small the problem is exaggerated. There are no nice parts of the Northside CC anymore and that is a fact.

I do find a fairly big difference when you cross the river - usually feel safe & sound on the southside, northside always seems a bit more run down and has a bit more of an edge.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I do find a fairly big difference when you cross the river - usually feel safe & sound on the southside, northside always seems a bit more run down and has a bit more of an edge.

Id agree with that. The junkies dont bother me that much, they are slow and a bit dopey. Its roving gangs of jobless yobs that would be the risk. As long as you stay in well populated areas and are not flashing the cash the risk is really tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There's a city full of people out there walking around without any bother. A CITY FULL. Who's crazy, you or them?
    p.s Vampires don't exist.

Tone down the attitude please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In terms of street safety, I honestly feel that Dublin hasn't changed in any meaningful way from when I was a teenager (80s) to the present day. Northside or Southside.

Maybe it's just perception: Maybe I just feel safer these days because I'm a grown man. I'm not a hard chaw in the slightest but I think when you're younger, you're on the radar of young scrotes that bit more and hence more wary. Plus I'm male which probably helps.

When I'm honest with myself though, I really don't think that things are any worse than 20 years ago. The Luas is a good point though. I hate the Jervis and sometimes the Abbet street stops which really do tend to draw a lot of mad types in one area.

It's stupid to suggest that there is something wrong with people (especially women) being intimidated by junkies or other street life though.

stovelid wrote: »
    In terms of street safety, I honestly feel that Dublin hasn't changed in any meaningful way from when I was a teenager (80s) to the present day. Northside or Southside.

Maybe it's just perception: Maybe I just feel safer these days because I'm a grown man. I'm not a hard chaw in the slightest but I think when you're younger, you're on the radar of young scrotes that bit more and hence more wary. Plus I'm male which probably helps.

When I'm honest with myself though, I really don't think that things are any worse than 20 years ago. The Luas is a good point though. I hate the Jervis and sometimes the Abbet street stops which really do tend to draw a lot of mad types in one area.

It's stupid to suggest that there is something wrong with people (especially women) being intimidated by junkies or other street life though.

Isn't that that a bit sexist?

Anyone can feel intimidated. It's a natural survival instinct. The problem lies when this becomes inflated to the point of not being able to walk during daylight in a first world city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

you can blame DCC for that. they have continually neglected the northside of dublin and will continue to do so. they (the councillors) have a lot to answer for

lol @ the idea of women being more vulnerable to intimidation by miscreants being sexist :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

lol @ the idea of women being more vulnerable to intimidation by miscreants being sexist :rolleyes:

Feel free to explain why women should feel more vulnerable.

Isn't that that a bit sexist?

I'm willing to stand by the assertion that a 6ft tall grown man will be less likely to get hassled by scrotes than a woman or a teenager (of any gender).

It's not sexist in the slightest.

You sound like you've been on a wind-up from the word go in this thread.

Feel free to explain why women should feel more vulnerable.

Oh god there's absolutely no chance I'd even consider spending any time at explaining it to you.

I'm willing to stand by the assertion that a 6ft tall grown man will be less likely to get hassled by scrotes than a woman or a teenager (of any gender).

It's not sexist in the slightest.

good scientific process you got going there.

I'm finished discussing this.

Oh god there's absolutely no chance I'd even consider spending any time at explaining it to you.

I'm glad. Thanks you've spared me chivalrous nonsense

Anyway the CSO page makes for some good reading even though their stats are old.

Male victims of crime in 2006 classified by age group. 5.7% of population
    Female victims of crime in 2006 classified by age group. 3.6% of population

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Women are significantly weaker on average than men, do you think this is a myth

Des wrote: »
    I agree.

Yes, facts from the CSO are a windup :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

colly10 wrote: »
    Women are significantly weaker on average than men, do you think this is a myth

I don't know what that statement is to tell you the truth. There are plenty of things people in general can do to make themselves safer. Physicality is only one facet of that.

Advertisement