Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you feel safe walking around the city anymore

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Warper wrote: »
    O'Connell St, Boardwalk, Henry St, Abbey St, Parnell St all are complete sh1tholes now with junkies on every corner. It is truly shocking stuff. I think because the city centre is so small the problem is exaggerated.

I've lived in Dublin City for nearly 30 years and this has always been the case, always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

xoxyx wrote: »
    However, recently, I've been noticing a change in the people that hang around the city,

You are in Dublin city centre four years OP and it wasn't much better then
    So I'd disagree that it has gotten worse

You were considering a move outside the city centre
    Well choose a good area is obvious.

I've never had an issue in the city centre but many issues like glass bottles thrown at me in Ballyfermot and abuse from the little scrotes

I'd say certain suburbs are worse then the city centre so choose where you go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I do reckon town has more junkies and beggars than five years ago. But Dublin is just getting worse in line with the rest of the country. I hear the same in reference to other towns and cities of our declining isle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I do reckon town has more junkies and beggars than five years ago. But Dublin is just getting worse in line with the rest of the country. I hear the same in reference to other towns and cities of our declining isle.

I'd agree. Statistics on this are rubbish, and probably purposefully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Dovies wrote: »
    I dont even like walking around town during the day - do my shopping in blanch or swords now- and certainly wouldn't go at night any more unless there was a crowd going.

That says more about you and your personal insecurities that anything else, people go about their business in the city every day with new born babies, kids, elderly people etc... not a bother on them. I have been spending weekends in the city for about twenty years and lived in the centre for twelve years. I have felt a bit nervous two times.

xoxyx, you need to move to somewhere in the city that suits you better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I've found drunk/drugged/weird/creepy/shady people are far more likely to call out, talk to, approach, a woman at night than a man. I used to live in a bad part of town back in the United States with my wife. I'd go out at night and I might see some shady looking people and they mostly left me alone. My wife would go out at night and they'd call out to her, talk to her, come up to her far more often than they would to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

It's so much worse now than it was 4 years ago. Dublin is the worst city I've been to for this sort of harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

It's always been like this. Problem is the main drug related projects / facilities are fairly clustered together in Dublin 1 so they all congregate together in that area. That said, town is still safe and I feel fine going about my business there. If someone honestly doesn't feel safe in town during the day, they're far to easily frightened.

Dublin is the worst city I've been to for this sort of harassment.

www.ryanair.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

In my view things have improved significantly over the past twenty years or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Don't really think that it's changed all that significantly over the last few years.I remember coming into town as a teenager in the mid-late 90's and you'd always get approached by drunks or drug addicts looking for smokes or change and I still see that every day when I'm in town.

I used to work with street people few years back so I can generally gauge how to deal with these folks and usually I'd either give them a few coppers and have a bit of auld banter or plainly and politely tell them that I've no money/smokes and walk away from them.

I can definitely see how intimidating it could be for a woman on her own waiting for the Luas or bus or whatever though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Was 'RebelButtMunch' the fella you saw arguing with the lampost by chance? I've noticed an increase in anti-social behaviour around the top of Talbot Street, Amiens Street, and Store Street areas, by gangs of teenage girls believe it or not.

Was 'RebelButtMunch' the fella you saw arguing with the lampost by chance? I've noticed an increase in anti-social behaviour around the top of Talbot Street, Amiens Street, and Store Street areas, by gangs of teenage girls believe it or not.
    Edited for glibness

I'm entitled to my opinion. I seem to be the only one that contributed any factual data, otherwise the the thread has been about peoples feelings and impressions. Everyone is of course entitled to that, but when people start associating that with facts its irritating. If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle and all that. Also people thinking that its not safe to walk around dublin is entirely incorrect. Immeasurable probably but generally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

John_Rambo wrote: »
    people go about their business in the city every day with new born babies, kids, elderly people etc... not a bother on them.
    xoxyx, you need to move to somewhere in the city that suits you better.

Doesnt mean to say they enjoy doing it! I never said I was afraid (as some other poster said) I simply said I didnt like walking around town. And as for moving - I have just come back after 10 years in the middle east and I had no problem walking around the streets there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Edited for glibness

I'm entitled to my opinion. I seem to be the only one that contributed any factual data, otherwise the the thread has been about peoples feelings and impressions. Everyone is of course entitled to that, but when people start associating that with facts its irritating. If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle and all that. Also people thinking that its not safe to walk around dublin is entirely incorrect. Immeasurable probably but generally wrong.

You know what, I'm doing doorwork in and around the city center for almost twenty years now and I'll tell you now where you can stick your factual data - because everyone here has made some valid points.

As Bob Dylan said "you don't need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows" - your factual data meaning crap all to the person who genuinely feels intimidated walking through the city center.

The sight of addicts, drunks, aggressive beggars, drug dealing and general loutish behaviour isn't something which sits comfortable with the majority of people - and that usually manifests itself in feelings of intimidation by most ordinary folk.

Now stop being so argumentative with people in this thread.

You know what, I'm doing doorwork in and around the city center for almost twenty years now and I'll tell you now where you can stick your factual data - because everyone here has made some valid points.

As Bob Dylan said "you don't need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows" - your factual data meaning crap all to the person who genuinely feels intimidated walking through the city center.

The sight of addicts, drunks, aggressive beggars, drug dealing and general loutish behaviour isn't something which sits comfortable with the majority of people - and that usually manifests itself in feelings of intimidation by most ordinary folk.

Stop arguing and presenting facts? I'm not argumentative with people. I'm argumentative with peoples opinions. If you want to only be in a discussion where people agree with your opinions, then a public forum is not the place for you.
    Sad to see the board degenerate to this.

How about this? I walked down the street and it felt safer than ever. In fact I dont think dublin has felt safer.
    The sight of people sunbathing in stephens green was delightful.

Dovies wrote: »
    Doesnt mean to say they enjoy doing it!

We do enjoy it.

We do enjoy it.

I walked across the bridge at Hueston station the other day and saw an otter in the Liffey. Took a picture of that and then had my lunch at that little park where Anna Livia is. Took a picture of that with Guinness's in the background. There were a few people there also having lunch. Very enjoyable.

I walked across the bridge at Hueston station the other day and saw an otter in the Liffey...

The otters in the middle East are much nicer.

The otters in the middle East are much nicer.

Probably, this one had all kinds of liffey crap stuck to its whiskers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Stop arguing and presenting facts? I'm not argumentative with people. I'm argumentative with peoples opinions. If you want to only be in a discussion where people agree with your opinions, then a public forum is not the place for you.
    Sad to see the board degenerate to this.

How about this? I walked down the street and it felt safer than ever. In fact I dont think dublin has felt safer.
    The sight of people sunbathing in stephens green was delightful.

First warning.

Do not post in this thread again.

A caution.. I'm usually very lenient, but I do have a limit which your approaching. We run a tight ship here, banning are infrequent but when they are used they are usually severe and lengthy.

Continue to enjoy the forum but stop posting in this thread.

First warning.

Do not post in this thread again.

A caution.. I'm usually very lenient, but I do have a limit which your approaching. We run a tight ship here, banning are infrequent but when they are used they are usually severe and lengthy.

Continue to enjoy the forum but stop posting in this thread.

First warning? And then stop posting. So its really a last warning? I hope your not trying to intimidate me.

Anyway feel free to do whatever you think is necessary to silence disagreement and factual conversation. I can empathise with anyone who feels intimidated. I dont disagree with the concept or the feeling. However I do dispute that Dublin is unsafe.

You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

RebelButtMunch banned for 1 week for arguing with mod instruction on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Des wrote: »
    RebelButtMunch banned for 1 week for arguing with mod instruction on thread.

It's sad to see someone banned for presenting facts. What does that say about boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    It's sad to see someone banned for presenting facts. What does that say about boards?

That is not why he was banned.

Please stop discussing this on this thread, if anyone has an issue please take it to Helpdesk/Feedback, and do not post about it here again.

Thanks

(Mod edit - Makikomi)

I'm taking the rare step of adding (slightly) to another mods post - only because I don't want to add further to the mess caused by the Buttmuncher..

Read post #17 where RBM was first politely asked to tone down his attitude, then read this forum's charter.. Sorry Des, I'm sure you'll understand me cutting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The "fact" he presented was as close to meaningless as you're going to get:
    Male victims of crime in 2006 classified by age group. 5.7% of population
    Female victims of crime in 2006 classified by age group. 3.6% of population

What in the world is that supposed to be evidence of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I feel completely safe walking through the city centre. I'm a lot more alert & careful walking through areas that have a dodgy element in them (and I'm careful & alert in general) but I never feel like I'm in any danger. There are areas I don't particularly like (Talbot Street/Marlborough Street) but there are always significantly more 'normal' people around there than junkies about & I am starting to see more Gardai in those areas as well.

Definitely think there are more junkies in town and the areas around the Abbey Street Luas stops are ridiculous with them but that's the only difference I've noticed & I've lived in or near the city centre for the past 5 years (and spent most weekends here for the past 15 years), there's always been mentallers & aggressive beggars in town. That particular group of junkies you get between the Spar at the corner of Talbot Street & Marlborough Street & the back of Clerys are like a feckin' soap opera at times mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

It's all down to perception. If a group of kids or a junkie asks me for some money I'll say no and that will be the end of it, however I'm 6'4 and 100kg. If my 5'7 girl girlfriend is asked the same question, she'll likely feel intimidated and that's obviously normal.

I've noticed a rise in junkies, drunks and groups of teens around the city centre, but havnt seen any thing negative come of it. Having said that based on different people's perception they would find it a lot more intimidating and feel it was more dangerous to them.

If I was the OP I'd move area, can't be nice living somewhere you're uncomfortable with.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I moved to Dublin 10 years ago and i think *in my opinion* Dublin is a lot better now.

Now having said that, I always felt safe walking around, day or night.

I lived in the city centre for years (Meath Street and Parnell Square) and never seen anything to warrent me feeling scared.

Now, i can understand why the OP feels scared after the things that happened to her.

I wonder OP, have other things being happening in your life to leave feeling more insecure? there is a lot to be said about how you carry yourself when you are walking down the road. i rarely get approached by people looking for smokes or money.

I definately felt much more intimadated in Barcelona then in Dublin but that was only for the first night and then i settle right in, so maybe it is just a personality trait.

i wonder how old the posters are that are saying it has gotten worse? i bet you dont remember the city in the 80's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Goldfingers

Well I'm of the same opinion as this lad.It doesn't appear to be too popular but here goes,I've worked on various doors on nights and its only worse because the volume has increased.Its quite simple;more people + more vice = more unsocial behaviour.The crux of the problem is that the level of tolerance in society as a whole has been raised to phenomenal proportions.Was this experience commonplace 20 years ago?! Walk with me on this 600 metre stroll in Dublin. You walk up O'Connell St past a place infamous for foreign men hitting on teen girls.Cross the road where counterfeit items are sold in the middle of the day.Stroll along & see junkies shoot up in broad daylight.Cross the bridge & pass the club where girls in their mid teens are standing in uber high heels with their ass hanging out of micro minis showing their bits while drink vodka mixed in with cola in a plastic bottle at about 6 or 7pm.You walk past a couple of junkies looking for money for "coffee" or a "bus" and get to a train station where groups are playing around swapping this & that for some kind of "better high" . That was daytime in Dublin June 2011 - I could name ALL those locations & every one of them is infamous or common knowledge.If you can't see this in Dublin & see how our "PC blind" society has shunned responsibility for any of this by attempting to be "tolerant" you deserve what you get.Dublin is a kip at night time.Its full of ticks & weasels during the day but the rats and scum come out at night.Dublin city is a kip.I'm 100% a Dub but I've still got my senses intact.We let anything go now.:confused:

Advertisement