Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SaorView and UTV

Options
  • 10-10-2011 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm not even sure it's possible, but I have tuned in two new digital TVs, and neither UTV or Channel 4 would tune in for me. Does anyone know what their frequencies are so they can be tuned manually, or even if one can tune them in. Thank you! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

UK channels are not on Saorview. You might pick up UK Freeview signals depending where you are and if your telly also has MPEG2 decoder (Irish TV uses MPEG4), can you pick up BBC? I Imagine You'll need to get an FTA Sat box/dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Seeking Self

Yeah, BBC1 and 2 are coming in no problem, but I had got UTV before, I was only retuning to try to get Channel 4! I was trying to avoid more costs.

Hmm thats interesting, what type of aerial are you using? Inside/attic/outdoor/roof?

An aerial on the roof

Right, so that's the end of that line of inquiry unless you can get it higher, of course the aerial might be swung one way or the other to improve the signal, your TV will have a signal meter if you know how to access it on the menu. It would be worth checking the BBC channels and seeing how strong the reading is.

• Advertisement

BBC1 has dreadful audio, very crackly, like I can't hear it, but the picture is very good for an analouge signal, and BBC2 is better on both counts. I've had a look through the menu and can't see where I might find their readings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

BBC1 has dreadful audio, very crackly, like I can't hear it, but the picture is very good for an analouge signal, and BBC2 is better on both counts. I've had a look through the menu and can't see where I might find their readings

You mention analogue. For clarity, have you tuned in the BBC channels via the digital or analogue tuner?

Ah jasus are we at sixs and sevenses?

Well the tv has three options, one to only search for digital channels, another for analouge channels and a third 'full search' option which does both. I tried all three, most recently, the third. I don't know how I'm coming across here, but I promise I'm not that slow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Ok, so it would sound to me that you are picking up the BBC channels through the analogue tuner and not the digital one.

Digital reception tends to be either there or not there. You don't get "inbetween" reception like an analogue broadcast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

mike65 wrote: »
    and if your telly also has MPEG2 decoder.

I thought any MPEG4 decoder would also do MPEG2 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    I thought any MPEG4 decoder would also do MPEG2 :confused:

It does.

Right, was this ever solved?

You might pick up UK Freeview signals depending where you are.

At the moment it depends on whether the OP is recieving UK channels from a transmitter which carries freeview (e.g. Divis or Brougher) as opposed to a relay (e.g. Kilkeel or Camlough)

Even if theyve no Freeview now they may well have it this time next year when the UK transmitters get a power increase and the relays get equipped with (limited) Freeview.

I bet Waterford on a good day is still just out of range.

I bet Waterford on a good day is still just out of range.

If youre on top of a hill maybe Wales or Cornwall might be doable

TBH though Freesat would probably be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

BBC1 has dreadful audio, very crackly, like I can't hear it, but the picture is very good for an analouge signal,

try disabling NICAM stereo when on BBC1?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to terrestrial.

Advertisement