Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar builders/luthiers in Limerick?

• 10-10-2011 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I know of one guitar builder in county Limerick who is taking some time out at the moment, and don't know of any others?
    I know yer man in steamboat music will service guitars, but anyone know of any other builders of guitars etc around the Limerick area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Im sure Brian in FSV(Future Sound And Vision) upper williams street would be able to point you in the right direction mate

061 207955

http://www.fsvltd.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭postdarwin

John Conway is the big name around town. Ask at FSV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Not really answering your question but a tiny bit related if you had
    an interest in learning to build your own.......

There was a course being run at one stage at that place opposite the Prison,
    Limerick School of Music? or art?? not sure of the name of the place.
    It involved making your own Musical intrument like a Guitar or Violin from
    scratch. (Edit now that I think of it I'm not sure if it was Limerick School of Music
    it may have been one of those adult education places)

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

bullets wrote: »
    Not really answering your question but a tiny bit related if you had
    an interest in learning to build your own.......

There was a course being run at one stage at that place opposite the Prison,
    Limerick School of Music? or art?? not sure of the name of the place.
    It involved making your own Musical intrument like a Guitar or Violin from
    scratch. (Edit now that I think of it I'm not sure if it was Limerick School of Music
    it may have been one of those adult education places)

~B

LCFE, They don't do that course anymore though.

OP, what do you need done? I've built some guitars in my time, anything I can help with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

roast wrote: »
    LCFE, They don't do that course anymore though.

OP, what do you need done? I've built some guitars in my time, anything I can help with?

They do still run the course in Limerick senior, definitely but it's not just guitar building, it's more of a luthery course.
    I knew a guy who built some guitars in newcastlewest. http://www.dolmencustom.com/ I'm sure there are more guys building around limerick too, maybe ask in steamboat if they know anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

@postdarwin, John Conway is who I was talking about in my original post, but I don't want to be bothering him at the moment, as he is taking some time out.

@roast

I need to get some pots installed and a really good setup done on a tele.

I also bought an electric mando, and bought replacement pickups, a nut that needs to be filed, and new pots.

I also need to do up and old banjo.

I just think an instrument builder would have the extra touch that's needed when doing these upgrades to a mandolin, banjo, and guitar........

yeah, I came across dolmen before, I will get in touch.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Demeyes wrote: »
    They do still run the course in Limerick senior, definitely but it's not just guitar building, it's more of a luthery course.
    I knew a guy who built some guitars in newcastlewest. http://www.dolmencustom.com/ I'm sure there are more guys building around limerick too, maybe ask in steamboat if they know anyone.

This guy in NCW is seriously talented. Built a beautiful bass for a guy I work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

seachto7 wrote: »
    @postdarwin, John Conway is who I was talking about in my original post, but I don't want to be bothering him at the moment, as he is taking some time out.

@roast

I need to get some pots installed and a really good setup done on a tele.

I also bought an electric mando, and bought replacement pickups, a nut that needs to be filed, and new pots.

I also need to do up and old banjo.

I just think an instrument builder would have the extra touch that's needed when doing these upgrades to a mandolin, banjo, and guitar........

yeah, I came across dolmen before, I will get in touch.......

A lot of those shouldn't be too hard for a normal tech to do. The mandolin and tele would be fairly handy jobs to do and definitely wouldn't require a builder to do. The banjo might be worth bringing to someone who knows what they're doing depending on the condition it's in now.

John Conway always did a really good setup on guitars for me. I often feel that something like a mandolin would require a delicate touch????

Demeyes wrote: »
    .......maybe ask in steamboat if they know anyone.

There is a guy in Steamboat who sets up guitars, but I'm just looking for options...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dont call me Shirley

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, anyone know if John Conway is back working, don't want to be hassling him if he's not.

As far as I know, I think he has retired. I haven't been in touch with him for years, and word on the street is he is taking it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

If you're looking for someone who builds guitars my sister's fiancee and his father do some amazing work. I can put you in touch with one of them if you want :)

Out of curiosity, who are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dont call me Shirley

I'd be interested in knowing aswell, it's a pretty decent guitar i need fixed up so I'd have to take it to somebody established.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Niall and Ger O'Neil who actually run the woodwork day/nightclass in the School of Music.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

Dolmen Custom in NCW came up earlier in the thread but definitely worth a second plug, Pat built my guitar and did some work on my previous guitar, he's an incredibly talented man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭postdarwin

Met him in FSV on Monday.

Advertisement