Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Every day is a good day when you run"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Week 4 Day 7

was originally supposed to do this run at 2 o clock. Finally got off the couch at 5.30. So missed the gorgeous sunny crisp day and instead ran 6 miles in a beautiful moonlit fresh winter evening.

I loved this run. I much prefer running in the cold than in the heat. It probably doesn't make sense but it seems easier on my lungs and just easier full stop. Could be to do with my hockey past. I associate exercise with cold weather as opposed to hot weather!

Delighted week 4 success :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

200 meter sprint to the last 77 of the night - back of the net.

Week 5 plan

This is ambitious as I'm back in work and I've stuff mon, tues and weds night

Monday: 3 mile run
    Tuesday: 5 mile run
    Wednesday: 45 min tempo run
    Thursday: 3 mile run and body balance
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: Cross
    Sunday: 7 mile run

Week 5 Day 1

3 mile run. Just about fit this one in. Knee tinging again. But otherwise everything felt great

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

dolliemix wrote: »
    Slight change of plan. Ended up on an impromptu pub crawl last night so I switched 6 mile run for body balance class today. Feel great after it. Love feeling my flexibility and strength improve. Will do 6 mile run tomorrow

I can't believe you managed a class after a pub crawl :eek: I would definitely have used that as an excuse to stay on the couch. Go you!!

I am thinking of (and have been for ages but haven't done anything about it :o) starting to do something to improve my strength and flexibility but I definitely wont have time to do classes so will probably just try a free-weights programme at home. Do you find that it helps your running dollie?

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »
    Slight change of plan. Ended up on an impromptu pub crawl last night so I switched 6 mile run for body balance class today. Feel great after it. Love feeling my flexibility and strength improve. Will do 6 mile run tomorrow

I can't believe you managed a class after a pub crawl :eek: I would definitely have used that as an excuse to stay on the couch. Go you!!

I am thinking of (and have been for ages but haven't done anything about it :o) starting to do something to improve my strength and flexibility but I definitely wont have time to do classes so will probably just try a free-weights programme at home. Do you find that it helps your running dollie?

Free weights are great for building strength Mary. I'm not using them at the mo. I love the stretching part of yoga. I think it does help. You could get a yoga DVD to use at home too:)

Week 5 day 2

Didn't get out :(

Week 5day 3

Got up at 6.30 to do 4 mile run. Felt awful during it ( tired and heavy legs) great after and now I feel wrecked again!

Anyway it's done!

Week 5 Day 4

Tempo run

Aim 45 mins

0-5 mins 8.0 kph
    5-10 mins. 8.5kph
    10-15 mins 9.0kph
    15-20 mins 9.5 kph
    20-25 mins 10.0kph
    25-30 mins 10.5 kph
    30- 35 mins 10.0 kph
    35- 39 mins 9.5 kph
    39-40 mins 8.0 kph
    40- 45 mins : set the treadmill to cool down

Did better than expected on this up until minute 39. Delighted I kept at 10 and above for 15 mins. However I couldn't keep it up the good pace and I was disappointed that I gave up the 9.5/ 9.0 pace at the end. Maybe next time!

I've a body balance class to stretch me out later but I'm feeling surprisingly brilliant after that tempo session :)

Week 5 Day 5

Skipped. By the time I got back from work the Irish Estonia match was starting and i felt tired and hungry so I didn't go out.

Week 5 day 6

Forty foot cancer mini triathlon.

10 min swim in the sea at forty foot
    Walk up the peer and back
    Cycle to dalkey along the coast road

While this wasn't hugely taxing ( bar the hills around dalkey on the bike! ) , we were out in for two and a half hours. It was such a gorgeous day and I wouldn't have wanted to be doing anything else. I felt guilty about not going for a run last night but I don't anymore! It's days like today where you realise that looking after yourself and staying fit and healthy is so important. So good for my mood and myself and my friend raised 250 euro :)

Week 5 day 7

Was meant to do 7 miles but couldn't face that. Went out and decided to run up to parents house. So arrived at door sweating and needing a shower , a loan of clothes and some of mums dinner yum. Dad and i measured mileage when he drove me home. It was only 7 k but it was all up hill. And I nearly fell twice which was scary.

I'm really not sticking to plan for Hal. But running two three days in a row is new to me so I'm finding it hard. Aware 10k has been changed to 5 miles so I'm not under as much pressure. I guess the main thing is that I'm enjoying the runs, which I am, when I eventually do them, just finding motivation part hard.

Week 6 plan

Monday: 3 mile run and body balance
    Tuesday: rest
    Wednesday: 5.5 mile run
    Thursday: 10 x 400 5k pace
    Friday: body balance
    Saturday: 6 mile + run
    Sunday: cross

• Advertisement

Week 6 Day 1

3 mile run on threadmil at 9.5 kph pace / 6.22 mph. It took me 32 mins. Really don't see myself breaking 30 mins this year and unless I shift some weight.

Body balance class. Great but my hips are really so stiff compared to the other people in the class.

Never made it past Week 6 day 1 :(

A couple of things have happened

- the date my baby would have been due is three weeks away
    - A had a really really stressful day in work on Wednesday

So I took a few days off. I haven't really being enjoying the running of late. Niggling at the back of my head was the fact that I know I've put on weight since the pregnancy and miscarriage. I'm aware that I'm an emotional eater. So it's no wonder that I can't improve my speed!

Disgusted at myself for not keeping to plan this week and going out drinking Wed, Thurs, Fri and Sat! Three or four drinks a night at social events I really couldn't avoid in fairness. Depressed that nothing fits me. And feeling sorry for myself because I have been working so hard at the running plans.

So, I faced the music half an hour ago.....and I've put on 2 stone! AGGGhhh

I'm going to join weight watchers tomorrow. I'm going to still do the Jingle Bells 5k and the Aware 10k the following week....but I'm not going to put myself under any pressure to beat times. And if I succeed with Weight Watchers up until my birthday in March, then I'll work on times.

So I'm heading off now to do a healthy shop to keep me going for the week. I'm going away next weekend but I'll try to do three runs during the week and one yoga class before I go. Better than nothing!

Plan for Week 7

Mon: 3 mile run and yoga
    Tues: Rest (cycle to and from work?)
    Wed: 5 mile run
    Thurs: 3 mile tempo run
    Friday/ Sat/ Sun......weekend in London....lots of walking!:)

Week 7 of a very toned down plan.

Weight watchers meeting went on till 7.05 so I couldn't make it to bodybalance. But I had walked into town 30 mins to pick up my bike from sat. I cycled to dundrum from town and then home. Did the 3 mile run after ww meeting. Felt crappy running knowing how much weight I'm carrying but I know I'm doing the right thing facing up to it now. I'd probably put another stone on over Christmas if I hadn't started tonight. And running is just going to get easier from here on in as the weight falls off..... ! The meeting was great and I think in going to enjoy this journey.

Advertisement