Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing A Wireless Connection

• 10-10-2011 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭

I just got UPC broadband installed.

As its a wireless modem/router (its the one I got directly from UPC), how can I secure it against other people in my area using the Wi-Fi connection coming off it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

By default it's set up with security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

roast wrote: »
    By default it's set up with security.

+1 The Wi-Fi password is printed on a label underneath the router. Do you want to completely disable Wi-Fi? I suspect that's what you want to do because if you were using a wireless connection you'd already be aware that there's a password.

Open the link below from a connected device, leave the userid and password fields blank and click the 'login' button, then scroll down to the last section called 'Wireless' and click the first option 'Basic'. On the next screen change the first field 'Access Point' to 'Disabled' and Wi-Fi is switched off.

http://192.168.1.1/

Advertisement