Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare HELP

• 10-10-2011 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering can anyone help me?...

I am 18, just finihed the leaving cert this year and with no luck finding a job i'll be on the welfare to help me out....

I am being "back dated" at the moment but was wondering am I entitled to supplementary Welfare allowance?

I have been told I am not but that was just from a friend so if any one knows anything about this could u please help me out :D

BTW I am still living at home with my Mother (was told you have yo be living alone to claim this)

cheers in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You may qualify for Supplementary Allowance. The only way you will know for sure is to apply to the local Community Welfare Officer. Just be aware that any Supplementary Welfare Allowance paid to you will be deducted from any Arrears of Dole due to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Disko biscuits

Thanks very much for your reply man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

If you have left school more than 3 months, then you can apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance, although you must have already applied for a Jobseekers payment from the social welfare office if you haven't already.

Your parent's income will be taken into account in the means assessment. If their net pay after rent/mortgage and other deductables is less than 600 Euro (470 if you are child of a one parent family) a week then you'll get the full payment, which for an 18-21 year old is 100 Euro a week.

If your parent's income is more than this, then you'll get a reduced payment, and possibly no payment at all if it is significantly over this amount. These calcuations apply to Jobseekers Allowance as well as Supplementary Welfare Allowance.

For details of the calculation see here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/how_parents_income_can_affect_jobseekers_allowance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Disko biscuits

I went down and I was told that they do not deal with the social welfare and they cannot do anything?

Advertisement