Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic, General banter...

Options
  • 10-10-2011 11:57pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hope this is ok, have seen threads like this in other forums work well.

Said i'd throw one up in here.

So stumbled across this today and couldn't warrant starting a new thread for it, so it helped make me start this thread.

Has anyone listened to this.

http://opus.fm/v1/view/max_richter_songs_from_before/

Max Richter arranges music and Robet Wyatt reads Murakami pieces over some of them. Really beautiful in places.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Good to see an off topic thread in here, I hope to have many rants about books etc. in here.

I haven't listened to it but will have a check now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Let me use this opportunity to state that I find Eliot Rosewater's views on George R.R. Martin to be deeply flawed... nay, contemptible.

It has been thusly stated. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Denerick wrote: »
    Let me use this opportunity to state that I find Eliot Rosewater's views on George R.R. Martin to be deeply flawed... nay, contemptible.

Hmmm, interesting. Let's just say I'm going to have to kill one of you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'm a big fan of Martin but it'll come down to how well he ends it. I won't be reading him until he's finished the series though or until i know a release date for the last book. It's how i do things these days!

I thoroughly enjoyed the TV Series. And the boobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Dunno if all you guys heard the bad news, but Denerick's opinions on books aren't worth anything anymore - he may as well be banned tbh. He got these notions into his head that this random book that he found in the jacks in McDonald's - "Game of Thrones" - was something other than Cecelia Ahern for males ... a terrible loss to our community

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Isard

lordgoat wrote: »
    Robet Wyatt reads Murakami pieces over some of them
    It's a very good idea. I listened to Doris Day yesterday, the song named To Ulrike M, and they use some fragments of Ulrike Meinhof's speeches. It's not that uncommon, actually, but I never heard pieces of fiction read over music... Are there any more?;)
    "Game of Thrones" - Cecelia Ahern for males ...
    Surprised you're not saying this about Robert Jordan:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The RR in George RR Martin stand for "rape" & "rape". Like terry goodkind. Well no, terry goodkind is just woeful. GoT is a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Got to the library in the last minute and picked up three books to tie me over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

out of interest folks, do you like quiet when reading or are you happy to have the radio/cd playing? I've never got the hang of listening to music and reading at the same time. Once the music starts I get distracted. This may also explain my inability to enjoy an audio book. Just curious.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

@Isard
    United Future Organization Poetry And All That Jazz
    features Jack Kerouac reading Jazz and the Beat Generation

Also check Closed On Account of Rabies and Dead City Radio.

Christopher Walken reading The Raven

William S. Burroughs reading Love Your Enemies

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Speaking of the beat writers:
    Flannery O'Connor, The Habit of Being (Farrar, Straus, & Giroux, 1979), pp. 336-337, in a letter to Dr. T. R. Spivey dated 21 June 1959:

I haven't read the article in PR [Paris Review?] or the beat writers themselves. That seems about the most appalling thing you could set yourself to do -- read them. But reading about them and reading what they have to say about themselves makes me think that there is a lot of ill-directed good in them. Certainly some revolt against our exaggerated materialism is long overdue. They seem to know a good many of the right things to run away from, but to lack any necessary discipline. They call themselves holy but holiness costs and so far as I can see they pay nothing. It's true that grace is the free gift of God but to put yourself in the way of being receptive to it you have to practice self-denial. I observe that Baron von Hügel's most used words are derivatives of the word cost. As long as the beat people abandon themselves to all sensual satisfactions, on principle, you can't take them for anything but false mystics. A good look at St. John of the Cross makes them all look sick.

You can't trust them as poets either because they are too busy acting like poets. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets.
    Burn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

bluewolf wrote: »
    The RR in George RR Martin stand for "rape" & "rape". Like terry goodkind. Well no, terry goodkind is just woeful. GoT is a bit better.

What about "really rather a lot of descriptions of food"? You could guess the man was a fattie :p(I'm quite enjoying the books)
    old gregg wrote: »
    out of interest folks, do you like quiet when reading or are you happy to have the radio/cd playing? I've never got the hang of listening to music and reading at the same time. Once the music starts I get distracted. This may also explain my inability to enjoy an audio book. Just curious.

I like having music on, only stuff I've listened to a lot and don't have to pay too much attention to though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

In the UCC Express, the fortnightly student rag, there was an article about reading books. It was some slight alteration of the usual statement of we-who-read-books-are-superior: the author criticised modern computer culture before proposing books as the solution to our woes, and saying pretty clearly that those who read are better than those who don't. Oh, and there was the mandatory dig at Twilight, which isn't a real book, seemingly.

But get this - the author of the article has, in the past few years, read the sum total of one book, Alice in Wonderland, and they weren't even finished it by the sounds of it. What is up with that? I recall reading another article in the Express in which the same opinion - that book-readers are better than the rest - written by a person who, similarly, admitted to reading a very small number of books.

Maybe it's understandable that someone put 30 classics behind them and starts being snooty, but elevating yourself 'cause you're halfway through Alice In Wonderland? Jeez...

To cap it, the author of the recent article finished by saying she was looking forward to reading loads of real books ... like Harry Potter. :confused: I find it very difficult to reconcile literary snobbery with Harry Potter ... perhaps I'm just a pleb. Perhaps I need to get off my computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

What about "really rather a lot of descriptions of food"? You could guess the man was a fattie :p(I'm quite enjoying the books)

Food? I missed all that!! I remembered something about 77 courses on a feastday and that was about it! I think I was too traumatised by the rest of it!
    :pac:

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Right, I'm off to sit beside my bookshelf and look pensive, so I can appear intellectual and refined.

Dunno if all you guys heard the bad news, but Denerick's opinions on books aren't worth anything anymore - he may as well be banned tbh. He got these notions into his head that this random book that he found in the jacks in McDonald's - "Game of Thrones" - was something other than Cecelia Ahern for males ... a terrible loss to our community

:p

Ah here! Wash your mouth out.

Goodkind and Jordan are just terrible imo

I like having music on, only stuff I've listened to a lot and don't have to pay too much attention to though

I can read and listen no probs.

Also I love your username. I have no idea why.

Goodkind and Jordan are just terrible imo

I love wheel of time :o It's not exactly amazing literature, but very enjoyable!
    Agreed on goodkind. Thinly veiled preaching, and completely goes off the deep end after the first couple books (ripping off Jordan) :rolleyes:

I love wheel of time :o It's not exactly amazing literature, but very enjoyable!
    Agreed on goodkind. Thinly veiled preaching, and completely goes off the deep end after the first couple books (ripping off Jordan) :rolleyes:

Really? I gave up after path of daggers. A truly terrible book...

And we even bonded over ye olde Roost. Oddly i'm off to the roost tonight, in all it's new fangled glory. Ughhh dread.

Really? I gave up after path of daggers. A truly terrible book...

And we even bonded over ye olde Roost. Oddly i'm off to the roost tonight, in all it's new fangled glory. Ughhh dread.

The best ones are about 4-7 I think, then it goes downhill a bit. I actually started on book 6... :pac:
    It's interesting reading Sanderson's take on the last couple of books, though he really did a bad job with Mat.
    I also have to admit a lot of the female characters are pretty irritating in that way typical of some male fantasy writers, Eddings comes to mind... not that our original subject of discussion, Martin, was much better!

Awful! I'm off to Bradys tonight! :D If I ever get moving...

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I can sympathise with this lady; I'm something of a bibliophile and have went out of my way to collect books (mainly first edition, but generaly those with a 'vintage' feel) because I like the look and smell of them. Indeed, if I ever come into money (A highly unlikely occurance) I would quite like the idea of setting up an antique bookshop. I own more books than a man my age or income level should; which is not to say I've read that many. I'd say I've read around one in three of the books in my collection. The important thing is that I aspire to read more... but I lack the necessary leisure time in which to do so. Work may be the curse of the drinking classes, but it is also held in contempt by bibliophiles everywhere.

Food? I missed all that!! I remembered something about 77 courses on a feastday and that was about it! I think I was too traumatised by the rest of it!

I vaguely remember an obsession with lemon cakes. Lemon cakes were everywhere.

The best ones are about 4-7 I think, then it goes downhill a bit. I actually started on book 6... :pac:
    It's interesting reading Sanderson's take on the last couple of books, though he really did a bad job with Mat.
    I also have to admit a lot of the female characters are pretty irritating in that way typical of some male fantasy writers, Eddings comes to mind... not that our original subject of discussion, Martin, was much better!

Awful! I'm off to Bradys tonight! :D If I ever get moving...

I could hear you tugging your braid from here. (Oh Matron!)

Also give Brent Weeks Night Angel Trilogy a read. Best fantasy series i've read in years. Oh and Feist, he deals with the ladies quite well.

Might end up in bradys, downstairs though. Depending on how much i hate the roost.

I could hear you tugging your braid from here. (Oh Matron!)
    :D:pac:
    Also give Brent Weeks Night Angel Trilogy a read. Best fantasy series i've read in years. Oh and Feist, he deals with the ladies quite well.
    :eek:
    I hadn't heard of Weeks! Are they new books? I might have to get them!!
    I have read lots of Feist, of course. I liked the trilogy with Janny Wurts a lot. The other books turned more into detailed battle documentaries than anything else, and so I gave up.
    Have you read any kate elliott, katharine kerr, robin hobb...?
    I know, all female, and my usual tendency is to avoid female fantasy writers after reading the likes of trudi canavan and... that irish female fantasy writer whose name escapes me now. But I recommend those three anyway! :)
    Might end up in bradys, downstairs though. Depending on how much i hate the roost.

Downstairs in clock house is where I'm off to, give me a wave :D

In the UCC Express, the fortnightly student rag, there was an article about reading books. It was some slight alteration of the usual statement of we-who-read-books-are-superior: the author criticised modern computer culture before proposing books as the solution to our woes, and saying pretty clearly that those who read are better than those who don't. Oh, and there was the mandatory dig at Twilight, which isn't a real book, seemingly.

But get this - the author of the article has, in the past few years, read the sum total of one book, Alice in Wonderland, and they weren't even finished it by the sounds of it. What is up with that? I recall reading another article in the Express in which the same opinion - that book-readers are better than the rest - written by a person who, similarly, admitted to reading a very small number of books.

Maybe it's understandable that someone put 30 classics behind them and starts being snooty, but elevating yourself 'cause you're halfway through Alice In Wonderland? Jeez...

To cap it, the author of the recent article finished by saying she was looking forward to reading loads of real books ... like Harry Potter. :confused: I find it very difficult to reconcile literary snobbery with Harry Potter ... perhaps I'm just a pleb. Perhaps I need to get off my computer.

How many spelling and grammar mistakes were in it? :p The Express really annoys me, aside from the pretty much uniformly awful content of the articles you often get things like the same paragraph repeated within an article, and once when I was very bored I actually did take a red pen to it, I lost the will to continue at about forty mistakes.

That kind of attitude is just pure student can't-think-for-myself hipsterism, it's people who have somehow, somewhere picked up the idea that reading is good (somebody in the SU probably told them it was "all part of the college experience" or something) but they haven't the cop on, attention span or capacity for independent thought to actually read all by their little selves. If the person who wrote that had stopped for five minutes to think about what they were writing they would have -or should have- realised what a dick they were being but they're just surrounded by people who all think (I use that word because I can't think of a better one) the same as them. Reading is just like owning a Mac or wearing scarves or liking David Norris; it's just part of the image, something they all do regardless of whether they enjoy or understand it at all. Grrr sometimes I really don't miss college :p

Ah no god, every time anyone sits down to a meal it's described in much more detail than it needs to be, everything seems to be swimming in butter and falling off the bone. I mean yeah fair enough sometimes it's relevant to the plot, but it gets annoying, or it did for me anyway.

Also I love your username. I have no idea why.

Because it's feckin magical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I am gonna display my amazing knowledge of current literature here (the modern stuff that all you young kids read) by admitting that I had to google who George R.R. Martin was. All I could think of was your man who worked with The Beatles!
    old gregg wrote: »
    I can't do both. It's either read or listen to music but not both. Unless it's pure background music that I wouldn't pay much attention to anyway.
    To cap it, the author of the recent article finished by saying she was looking forward to reading loads of real books ... like Harry Potter. :confused: I find it very difficult to reconcile literary snobbery with Harry Potter ... perhaps I'm just a pleb.

Harry Potter was an almost amazing and very well written series of books that would have been perfectly in tune with literary snobbery if that bitch had not ruined it all with that mawkish, pathetic excuse for an ending. :mad: If I knew in advance that *
    stupid fúcking LOVE would save everything
    I wouldn't have bothered ever reading them.

*spoiler included for possible cave dwellers who haven't read Deathly Hallows yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Harry Potter was an almost amazing and very well written series of books that would have been perfectly in tune with literary snobbery if that bitch had not ruined it all with that mawkish, pathetic excuse for an ending. :mad: If I knew in advance that *
    Love? Is that how he came back to life? That whole thing annoyed me.
    I was dragged to the last movie, even though I hadn't seen the previous ones. I was lost.

*spoiler included for possible cave dwellers who haven't read Deathly Hallows yet.

I'm pretty ambivalent about Harry Potter, seriously some of the most exciting moments of my childhood revolved the books but...well for one thing there's a bit of a seismic shift in tone halfway through the series I think, kind of starts in Goblet of Fire but especially in the following books, it's like the plot and subject matter just get a smidgen too serious to fit with the tone and form of the series up to that point and it just gets messy. I often think I'd love to see Guillermo del Torro or somebody do a series of Harry Potter films now that all the plot is known and make it a bit more grown up. They're children's books aimed at 8-14 year olds and within that genre they're absolute classics but as far as books for adults who have read other books go you'd be as well off arguing for a well written piece of travel journalism or something. I think they're good because they introduce kids to reading, they're exactly the kind of book that will get people into reading for enjoyment because they're not entirely stupid and I do smile every time I see kids reading them for exactly that reason but still. Yes they're great for what they are, people our age are probably always going to have a real emotional connection to them but there's no point dressing them up as something they aren't.
    Kinski wrote: »
    Love? Is that how he came back to life? That whole thing annoyed me.
    I was dragged to the last movie, even though I hadn't seen the previous ones. I was lost.

In fairness though, a lot of those books was inner monologues and stuff. I watched the movies (under duress) quite some time after I read the books and I would have been completely lost if I hadn't read the plot first. Those books were a cash cow and I don't like anything about them, despite the fact that the books are really visual and could make an amazing series if people were willing to take liberties with the source material. Anyways don't judge the books by the films, the books really are a far superior specimen.

Also, despite what I've posted in this thread so far I do read books that haven't had a TV/movie treatment.

Anybody want to talk about "We Need To Talk About Kevin"? (quite quickly) :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm pretty ambivalent about Harry Potter, seriously some of the most exciting moments of my childhood revolved the books but...well for one thing there's a bit of a seismic shift in tone halfway through the series I think, kind of starts in Goblet of Fire but especially in the following books, it's like the plot and subject matter just get a smidgen too serious to fit with the tone and form of the series up to that point and it just gets messy.
    I'd say most people were glad of that seismic shift. Rowling realised that people who read Philosopher's Stone when they were 10 wouldn't want to read another Philosopher's Stone when they were 18. I didn't think it was messy, although perhaps she could have done with fewer characters and side plots.
    They're children's books aimed at 8-14 year olds and within that genre they're absolute classics but as far as books for adults who have read other books go you'd be as well off arguing for a well written piece of travel journalism or something.
    Excuse me! I happen to enjoy travel journalism. :p Seriously, I will spend half the night just browsing through Wikitravel.

And I'm not trying to suggest that Harry Potter = literary zenith or anything, I'm just curious as to whether the Harry Potter series might be more acclaimed as actual works of literature in fifty years time, rather than just regarded as a cultural phenomenon? When does a great children's writer become a great writer in general?

I'd never suggest Harry Potter was the greatest thing ever to happen to literature or anything (especially not with that fúcking ending) but still there are some supposed "classics" out there that I'd recommend Harry Potter over any day of the week. :pac:
    Anyways don't judge the books by the films, the books really are a far superior specimen.

Unless you have my hatred for Tolkien; I love the LOTR films but the book frankly bores the arse off me.

Advertisement