Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic, General banter...

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

In the middle of The Walking Dead graphic novel, very good, really fast moving though

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Next years goal: Russian novelists!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Watch_%28Lukyanenko_novel%29
    that was great
    rahh! wrote:
    Anyone else have any similar binges recently? What brought them about?
    I read about 100 pages an hour, for average level books (think your average fantasy book or something) so it's common enough for me I guess
    was reading a draft novel for someone on saturday morning, 365 a4 pages, think that was about 4 hours? :confused: maybe a bit more
    im currently waiting for more books to arrive in the post so i'm in-between at the moment

i can't remember how long it took me for A.K. but then I didn't get all that into it the first time I tried it. I liked crime&punishment though

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I'm trying to get back into classical novels, maybe Russian, maybe Dickens. I have Anna Karenina & The Count of Monte Cristo on my shelf. I also have a few Wilkie Collins. I used to love F.Scott Fitgerald and DH Lawrence. Has anyone else got recommendations for classical fiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Crime & Punishement works well as Russian classical fiction and is a pretty handy read (he says grossly understating matters).

Non lit. But i found this so funny.

• Advertisement

I'd so love for this to be memorable
    Work of William Faulkner Coming to HBO, Helmed by ‘NYPD Blue’ Creator David Milch
    I've not seen anything he's done before so unsure as to whether he's likely to do Faulkner justice or turn it into a dog's dinner. ?

old gregg wrote: »
    Work of William Faulkner Coming to HBO, Helmed by ‘NYPD Blue’ Creator David Milch
    I've not seen anything he's done before so unsure as to whether he's likely to do Faulkner justice or turn it into a dog's dinner. ?

If anyone can do it well it's HBO. They make most of the best Tv shows out there at the moment.

lordgoat wrote: »
    If anyone can do it well it's HBO. They make most of the best Tv shows out there at the moment.
    It is a true thing that you say. More info on the project today: David Milch talks William Faulkner and his new HBO deal

It's looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Am feeling very underwhelmed after reading 'our favourite books of 2011' in the Irish Times. It has been a great year for fantasy, history, memoir and science publications. I found most of the lists to be a bit populist and limiting especially given the backgrounds of the pundits. I'll stop there as I don't want to fall into the book snob category, the list definitely lacked variety.

hatful wrote: »
    Am feeling very underwhelmed after reading 'our favourite books of 2011' in the Irish Times. It has been a great year for fantasy, history, memoir and science publications. I found most of the lists to be a bit populist and limiting especially given the backgrounds of the pundits. I'll stop there as I don't want to fall into the book snob category, the list definitely lacked variety.

Stick up a link for it there sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

IT Books of the year. Oddly enough, Battersby didn't make it into Banville's selection, but she did in the Guardian.

Lots of mentions of Belinda McKeon and Kevin Barry, two books I have very little desire in reading (despite Barry's staring at me accusingly from my unread pile).

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

old gregg wrote: »

It's David Milch. Creator of Deadwood.

Give him Falkner already!:D
    Very pleased with this news.

Just read the 3 hunger games books in 5 days. Awful series, poorly written, poor characters, awful ending and just clumsy overall. Good concept delivered so crudely it ruined the books for me. Think it'll be a better film than a book. Avoid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »

Indeed i think the concept could have been developed better, dismissing main characters with a sentence is just weak/lazy it's not like the books were huge and needed cutting down. I do think it's a good link series for young readers interested in fantasy though. But in saying that there are better out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

lordgoat wrote: »
    Just read the 3 hunger games books in 5 days. Awful series, poorly written, poor characters, awful ending and just clumsy overall. Good concept delivered so crudely it ruined the books for me. Think it'll be a better film than a book. Avoid.

Now I want to read them to see if they're really that bad!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I'm reading the Iliad at the moment so I decided to watch the film Troy. A tragedy indeed - but not in the storyline! What a terrible, terrible film!

I watched Inception the other night for the first time. So class! Does anyone know of any books in that line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I watched Inception the other night for the first time. So class! Does anyone know of any books in that line?

Some people think that Inception may have been loosely based on Christopher Priest's novel A Dream of Wessex (Priest also wrote The Prestige, which Nolan adapted as a film). I've never read it, so I can't tell you if it's any good.

Heh Eliot, Nolan has cited the animated movie Paprika and the works of Jorge Luis Borges as huge influences.

You could buy any Borges collection. Short stories and essays were his forte. You really can't go wrong with any one of his collections. Borges is one of my favourite writers and he is constantly been referred to as the writer who was snubbed by the Nobel committee for literature. Let's hope they start introducing posthumous awards.

I have not watched Paprika yet, but I am looking forward to it.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Cheers folks. I was really impressed with the concepts behind Inception. I will take a look at those!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/1217/1224309196091.html

I know she's not very popular here, but there are a few books here that I've never heard of but sound like they're worth a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Any recommendations for some good new fiction (pref available in ebook for kindle)? Just finishing up the marriage plot which is excellent and have The Fast I walk the smaller I am downloaded. Also midway through the new Murakami to give you an idea of what I generally read!

Thanks guys :)

Any recommendations for some good new fiction (pref available in ebook for kindle)? Just finishing up the marriage plot which is excellent and have The Fast I walk the smaller I am downloaded. Also midway through the new Murakami to give you an idea of what I generally read!

Thanks guys :)

tardy with the reply but i just finished the Sisters brothers by Patrick deWitt, loved it. Every sentence was a joy to read. I love picking up a book where the author has considered what seems like every word. Thoroughly enjoyed it from over to cover.

Have the new murakami and i plan on starting it soon.

Also read Foster which in 80 pages is a cracker of a book that will leaving you thinking about it and the concept far longer than it will take you to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

bluewolf wrote: »
    I liked crime&punishment though
    maybe Russian, maybe Dickens

Funnily enough when I was reading Crime and Punishment recently I was just thinking how it reminded me a lot of Dickens.

I've just read that post back and I think that it's probably the most pointless thing I've posted on this forum. Oh well........

Advertisement