Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retr0gamer's October Horrorthon!

• 11-10-2011 12:04am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Going to play some horror games leading up to Halloween. First up was Kings Field, the first game in the series only released in japan. Found it brutally had but started getting into the swing of things when I realised I was too underlevelled for the skeletons. Then I found a save point and was really making some progress. Then the game crashed. Turns out it's a bug with the translation patch that I'll need to patch out :rolleyes:

Next up, just put this bad boy into the system. This is going to be awesome, a total horror classic!

200px-Overblood_Cover.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Going to play some horror games leading up to Halloween.

Is it ok for me to suggest you play Dick Tracy on the C64 as part of your 'horror' games festival? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd rather play turrican 2 :P

Update. Overblood has some pretty decent CGI for a 1997 game. Then when you get into the game it takes a turn for the worse. Unlike Resi the game isn't prerendered like resi and you can go into first person. It does however look like **** unlike the resi games. The main character has the largest hands I've ever seen and the animation is comically awful. He's woken up and has amnesia. Looks like this story will be full of amazingly original plot lines.

I'd rather play turrican 2

That game was a biblical achievement on the C64.

Ok, play Dick Tracy tomorrow night, then may I suggest Alien for C64? That game is genuinely creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Try both the sufferings on ps2&xbox

They were freaky when i first played them , true horror

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pyongyang wrote: »
    That game was a biblical achievement on the C64.

Ok, play Dick Tracy tomorrow night, then may I suggest Alien for C64? That game is genuinely creepy.

I'll see, was thinking Siren 2 though since hte first game had so much potential. At the moment Overblood is so bad it's almost good. The controls are terrible and there's all sorts of problems but it's nice revisiting a PS1 game this old and this naff.
    Try both the sufferings on ps2&xbox

They were freaky when i first played them , true horror

Thought they were absolutely terrible to be honest. Won't be going near them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Have you played Clocktower 3 on the PS2?

I quite liked that one... don't think I ever finished it though.

Was thinking of playing Clock Tower 1 first and working through the series, heard they are really good.

Overblood has O as the run button and square as the jump button. I'm guessing game testing didn't extend to ergonomic button placement.

The soundtrack deserves to be in a much better game.

This is the one I meant by the way. The YouTube comments are in agreement that it's a creepy game. Even watching the video conjures up dread. Great game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

speaking of Amnesia...
    also howabout Condemned Criminal Origins

The Suffering was a good game too

• Advertisement

The level design is fantastic in this game. Also the animation for climbing stairs is the longest in any videogame, also fantastic. When the two combine it's something else.

Got to a room which required me to walk down the stairs, then walk up another stairs. I went out the door only to realise that due to the wonderful camera I had inadvertently done a U-turn. So back down the stairs, back up the correct stairs and through the door only to find I'm back at the start of the game. I turn around to go back to find the door locked behind me so I'm left to walk back through the entire game to that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Try this .. Www.hotel626.com dont click the asylum one thats ****e

'what's the point of switches you can't switch!'

A philosophical dilemma or a translation mishap?

The room I'm in currently has an unintentional hilarity count of 3 already.

That's enough for tonight. The adventures of space Barry Burton and Pipo the annoying robot will continue tomorrow. Feel free to play any horror game you want and add better comments or questions than mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

DinoRex wrote: »
    Have you played Clocktower 3 on the PS2?

I quite liked that one... don't think I ever finished it though.
    That's what I was thinking of playing because I really liked Haunting Ground c322a8.gifDaniella was just so creepy (QuQ) AND there was a dog in it!
    but I should finish Project Zero 3 first.

Sera wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking of playing because I really liked Haunting Ground c322a8.gifDaniella was just so creepy (QuQ) AND there was a dog in it!
    but I should finish Project Zero 3 first.

And I've never played Haunting Ground! Always wanted it when it first came out, but it sold out very quick.

But I do like that extra element of fear you get in a survival horror game where you can't actually hurt the monsters at all.

Oh... and Gregory Horror Show must go on this list!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

May I suggest Sweet Home on the Famicom? There's an english translation as far as I know, and in a way it's the original Resident Evil (Resi was originally intended as a Sweet Home remake...has the mansion setting and the door-opening animations)

Haunting Ground is the only game you get to play as a girl running away from the ghost of her grandad because he wants to rape you.

Hmm, sweet home is an interesting choice.

I'm actually enjoying Overblood in a b-movie train wreck horror sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I like this idea so I'm gonna play some Silent Hill Origins later today, hopefully it scares the crap out of me :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm going to get out Rule of Rose again, haven't played it since last year and my save game is buried in my ylod PS3 so I'll have to start again, try to finish it for sure this time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How about Chiller? It's old, but still one of the most ****ed up disturbing games ever made. It was a lightgun cab with a crossbow. You basically shot defenseless people in a torture chamber to death, piece by piece. As far as I know it was banned from many arcades. There was also an unlicensed NES port, but as you can probably imagine it was heavily censored.

Interesting review of it here

http://www.ironicconsumer.com/videogames/chiller.html

Tempted to host a horror game meet up now.

Need to think about how that would work...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm going to get out Rule of Rose again, haven't played it since last year and my save game is buried in my ylod PS3 so I'll have to start again, try to finish it for sure this time!
    I was near the end and missed a really ahsum item and just wanted to start over again. I dunno when I'll get around to it though.

all of my gusta if I could go D:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im terrible at playing horror games. I get too jumpy :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Anyone ever played The Path(PC)? If not, I'd recommend that highly. It's based on the old Flemish folklore surrounding Red Riding Hood, with a suitably modern twist.

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Im terrible at playing horror games. I get too jumpy :o
    but we need someone like you to make it fun!

I'd be so there.

I really want to give rule of rose a go as well. Awful gameplay but an interesting story.

Might try project zero but it will mean getting out the big heavy lump of a yoke... the Xbox.

Might try project zero but it will mean getting out the big heavy lump of a yoke... the Xbox.
    thought I gave you the PS2 one? I can lend it chu again?

You'd need to give each game a nice bit of room. So you could pick maybe 6 titles and give them an hour each over the evening.

My telly is broken, so would have to try setting up the projector again.

• Advertisement

I vote for Overblood.

As for PZ, it's grand love, I have the first two on Xbox and it's just a bit of hassle to set it up.

I always really liked Obscure:

It wasn't terribly well received though.

Heard it's got really good co-op in it as well.

As for PZ, it's grand love, I have the first two on Xbox and it's just a bit of hassle to set it up.
    you know where it is if you change your mind.
    I vote for ... THE RING! d46d2c.gif
    Lol jk, actually I dunno, it's between Forbidden Siren 2 or Haunting Ground
    I always really liked Obscure
    Swear! I was just looking through my games and saw it, got it really cheap for PC but never got around to it.

This wasn't the video I was looking for but anything that takes a swipe at edge is a good laugh:

Here's what I was looking for, overblood cosplay:

• Advertisement

Back to overblood. I just realised I haven't managed to kill anything in the game yet.

PIPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Re a Horror Beers,
    I may be able to facilitate but it would be well into Nov so miss the season, better be somewhere's else I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Defo need to crack out some horror games! Any recommendations on the PS1?

Overblood :D

Other than that, the Echo Night games, Resi 1,2 and 3, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis (not 2, it's awesome but very action orientated), Clock Tower games

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/survival-horror/2009/10/the-playstation-ps1-survival-horror-library.html

• Advertisement

Back after an Ireland game with football more shocking than overblood has been thus far. After about 2 hours of gameplay I've finally encountered a zombie and realised the true horror of the combat system.

The unintentional humour continues. I just met a girl and the main character shows how much of a charmer he is. Within the first 30 seconds he announces 'I have something to tell you. I have an infection'.

Now the game is getting annoying. Had to check gamefaqs for 2 illogical puzzles. Every time I check it's because I'm doing the right thing but not ducking while doing it. Can't find the oil can? check everywhere again except on your hunkers! Get blown away by a massive fan? Duck and it will defy the laws of physics and you'll be fine. Seems get down on your hunkers is the way to solve every problem in this game.

Now the game is getting annoying. Had to check gamefaqs for 2 illogical puzzles. Every time I check it's because I'm doing the right thing but not ducking while doing it. Can't find the oil can? check everywhere again except on your hunkers! Get blown away by a massive fan? Duck and it will defy the laws of physics and you'll be fine. Seems get down on your hunkers is the way to solve every problem in this game.
    you'll have to review it when you're finished :cool:

Noticed something weird about overblood. The game uses a weird texture filtering technique to disguise the blockiness of PS1 era textures without bilinear filtering. It gives everything a stippled look but other than that it's actually quite effective. Pity they didn't pay attention to their ladder climbing animation which had me roaring with laughter. Zombie kill count: a measly 2.

'I won't listen to anymore of your... electropsychobabble!'

The story has just taken a turn for the predictible and interesting. Hmm, kind of want to see where this is going. No spoilers.

The overblood saga has finally ended. The story showed promise and then turned a bit crap again. The last boss was annoying because if you failed you had to sit through 5 minutes of unskippable cutscenes. Overall not as bad as I thought but still crap and hilarious in places.

Within the first 30 seconds he announces 'I have something to tell you. I have an infection'.

And I thought honesty was the best policy?
    This explains my luck with women from the years 1987 to 1993, after that I just kept my ideas to myself, be enigmatic, inscrutable....
    Like wearing a Sonic tee to every first date, you know, keep something back....

Actually, that'd make a great horror game/anti-dating sim, Ciderman's Date-O-Rama '91,

I'm sad now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Surely only the bravest, battle-hardened veterans break this out at Halloween...

BhdAa.jpg

EnterNow wrote: »
    Surely only the bravest, battle-hardened veterans break this out at Halloween...

BhdAa.jpg

Didn't an Irish swim coach get rightly flung into jail for acts not dissimilar to that game cover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm surprised he didn't blame it on that game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement