Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retr0gamer's October Horrorthon!

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And game number 2 will be......

Project Zero, aka Fatal Frame.

A game Sera has been nagging me to play. Project Zero differs from Overbloos in that it's supposedly actually good. Have to just dig out the Fatbox first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Project Zero, aka Fatal Frame.
    A game Sera has been nagging me to play.
    I cleared it in a few days it shouldn't be taking you so long D:
    then you can play the other two and I'll have someone to talk about them with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

EnterNow wrote: »
    Surely only the bravest, battle-hardened veterans break this out at Halloween...

...or at work when you just got it in the post and oddly have to be really paranoid photographing it while at the same time wondering what the hell someone would think if they saw it (never mind photographing a game). :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

First impressions, this game is damn creepy, and looks spectacular. Voice acting is ropey like all good horror games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Has anyone ever played Gregory Horror Show on the PS2?

Thought it was decent at the time, something different.

Good voice acting also

Has anyone ever played Gregory Horror Show on the PS2?
    wanted to play so bad it years (still do) after I saw in some magazine my mam got when I was a sick but still never did get the chance >:

I tried to play it but didn't know what the hell to do and kept dying. Even with a faq it was confusing and I found myself having to refer to the faq all the time and gave up.

Important observation:

Main character is very easy on the eye and wears a very short skirt.

This game is creepy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Sera wrote: »
    wanted to play so bad it years (still do) after I saw in some magazine my mam got when I was a sick but still never did get the chance >:

Despite the cartoon visuals it's probably one of the scariest games I've ever played. It's very unsettling and can be quite punishing as well.

Must dig it out, haven't played it in years and don't think I ever completed it.

As for the Project Zero games I always gave up on them when they decided to throw a sliding block puzzle at me... my brain just can't handle them at all.

• Advertisement

Oh and the original Alone in the Dark games are just $2.99 for the bunch of them on gog.com this weekend:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/alone_in_the_dark

Here's a quick blog post on Overblood, aka the game that gives Resi 2 a run for it's money:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2011/10/overblood-october-horrorthon.html

Just got to chapter 2 in Project Zero. This game is pretty freaky and the camera system is excellent. In combat it has a great risk reward dynamic and can surprise you with scares. It's also a good device for puzzle solving. The game has great atmosphere and the sound design is excellent. Localisation is a bit duff, already spotted lots of typos and the voice acting could be better. Story is starting to get really interesting as well.

One complaint, why did it take me so long to play this game!

One complaint, why did it take me so long to play this game!
    that's been my complaint for ages and with Killer7
    I'm saying success Suika style now
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8emFrznDcT1ebZFjnvMRBuTevaUuR_j-XC_PC0JCqGWem5C_m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

Try this one out if you never got around to playing it before, but don't blame me when you wake up in the middle of the night screaming like a little girl:P

Another reason to own a gamecube, overlooked by many at launch and possibly the scariest game ever on any format.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, at each Halloween this gets mentioned and, yes, it's great.
    It tries to be that bit different from the run of the mill 3rd person scare'em up.
    The insanity effects are a variable bunch though, and not as fondly remembered as PsychoMantis and his similar tricks in MGS, pity that.

• Advertisement

The psychological horror has a lot more scare factor for me than gore. I love asain horror movies, they always keep you at the edge of your seat:eek:

Trying to think about shooting games I could play over Halloween but I'm struggling. Maybe Deathsmiles?

I was going to suggest Dangerous Seed, but that sounds more like a game reserved for your wedding night (or kicking out time after a night out in Balbriggan).

I'll probably end up playing Splatterhouse on my PC Engine or my XBOX 360 edition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm surprised no one has suggested playing Devil Crush on the PC Engine, it's quite brilliant!
    if you like this you should also try,
    Pinball of the Dead (GBA)
    Typing of the Dead (Dreamcast)
    Toss the Salad of the Dead (just kidding!)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has suggested playing Devil Crush on the PC Engine, it's quite brilliant!

I've pondered getting that game for ages. Worth a punt?

it's well worth a play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭da gamer

I try to do this every halloween but never find the time. If i get time this year ill be playing deadly premonition(a freaky game in a weird way!). Hopefully get to play a few silent hill games, resi.1-5, haunting ground, fear, condemned 1, dead space 1 and 2,final doom, alien resurection, alan wake and realms of the haunting.

Now to find enough hours in the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭da gamer

I try to do this every halloween but never find the time. If i get time this year ill be playing deadly premonition(a freaky game in a weird way!). Hopefully get to play a few silent hill games, resi.1-5, haunting ground, fear, condemned 1, dead space 1 and 2,final doom, alien resurection, alan wake and realms of the haunting.

Now to find enough hours in the day...

Yeah, I have Alien Crush on the TG-16 and it's great, the Devil one is just as good.
    Not too expensive either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

currently playing F.E.A.R. 3, Alma isn't as scary as she used to be

anyone remember this game Dark Seed?

Everything about Eternal Darkness is great except the gameplay. Found it a bit of a chore to get through but everything else about the game was so good it was ultimately worth it.

I've not only been neglecting the horrorthon but I've not played much of anything recently. Anyway I played a good bit of Blood last night on the PC. I'm up to the 4th episode of 5. Still a fantastic game with some wonderful level design even if the humour dries up after the shareware episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I've not only been neglecting the horrorthon but I've not played much of anything recently. Anyway I played a good bit of Blood last night on the PC. I'm up to the 4th episode of 5. Still a fantastic game with some wonderful level design even if the humour dries up after the shareware episode.

I love Blood but something about it just makes me feel quite down after an extended session.

Maybe its the colour palette.

Gonna put them under pressure to get a PS3 for Christmas, as well as the Ico/SOTC remake, then I'll get back into Rule of Rose, too many games baying for attention right now!

Well this is turning into a disaster of a horrorthon. After a week and half of not playing much I'm finally back playing Project Zero. Really loving it but it can be so tough! There's very little healing items and the timing on the zero shots cna be very tough. Really can't recommend this game enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Ya better give Halloween a go for the 2600, I'm pretty sure it's available for download.

Here's the AA page:

http://www.atariage.com/system_items.html?SystemID=2600&ItemTypeID=ROM&orderBy=Name&orderByValue=Ascending&recordsPerPage=100&currentPage=2

One word of advice: the music can get a bit scary, make sure you're not alone at any time whilst playing...

<.<.
    >.>.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Finally giving the wii a run after nearly maybe a year of having been neglected. Gonna give resident evil zero a play :)

Someone needs to go play Realms of the Haunting.
    Amazing game, controls like the original System Shock.

Available on gog.com

Played it years ago, really liked it. Been meaning to pick up the gog release.

Played it years ago, really liked it. Been meaning to pick up the gog release.

The gog release is flawless, runs perfectly.

Halloween special offers from GOG now:

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/halloween_2011/

started playing Resident Evil: Deadly Silence since I can't get the lappy to be a screen for my PS2 again.
    Laughing myself to sleep, playing Rebirth Mode, met Richard and had to give him CPR with the mic I didn't want cooties so he died

showed this it Retr0 last night, do you think Richard sounds middle eastern or something telling you about the clock?
    DAT OUCH <3

Final Night of Project Zero.Story is getting very interesting. I may even finish this before the end of October! :O

Finally beat Project Zero. Damn fine game, going to write a review tomorrow if I have the time. Really good horror stroy as well.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking the original clock tower or rule of rose for tonight?

I'm thinking the original clock tower or rule of rose for tonight?
    I was thinking Clock Tower too, you should play it so we can have a race lol jk.
    You watched me play almost to the end of RoR but I guess you want to try out dat combat <3 than play that instead

There's a flash I really like, it's called Darkness, it's a bit creepy. I think I showed it to Atavan already.
    The link is for episode 1 and there's 3 episodes if anyone wants something kinda scary and short.

Advertisement