Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First revision build - improvements?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

I believe you want the i7-2600k. I dont think you can overclock without the sandybridge model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

on mobile so not much help besides :

drop the CPU to a i5 2500k.

change the PSU to the amazon super flower 550w.

the HDD to the Samsung F3 7200rpm.

change the ram to the 8gb g.skill ripjaw or ripjawX kit.

i honestly doubt the Alpine cooler you picked is in any way better at noise or cooling than the stock cooler. but for 4 euro I guess it won't break your heart.

I'd probably get the HD6950 over the 560ti but its personal preference.

how much is he willing to spend and what is the use? pure gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Alrighty, to give you some background he has an old dell box thats running an 8800GS that I baked for him about 4 months ago, still ok for the moment. The display is a 24", dell again, that his dad sourced in a sale(back when 24" was massive), but it was cheap for a reason, gotta be like 8ms+, the motion blur drives me nuts. He doesnt notice it at all, and I doubt he'll change, but it probably negates bothering with massive rates.

He also has a studio XPS lappy that he got like last year for gaming, not sure of the spec but it fails horribly even at TF2, and overheats like a bollox(ticks over at 62* and a prime test had it at 90+ within 20 seconds).

So he needs a new rig. All he does is game and browse/do college work. They keep their machines in the dining room so something too loud will piss the family off.

I built it from a dabs build he'd done up with an i5 Bundle:
    • CPU: I was under the mistaken impression that if one was gonna go i then you might as well go all the way with an i7 fo dem tredz. But really that was silly, games wont use them so they're useless to him. i5 it is for now.
    • PSU: He started with a 750W **** PSU, I put in a 600W for safety as I didnt bother calculating draw, changed.
    • HDD: Would be tempted to suggest 750s in RAID...he doesnt torrent or anything so after maybe 30GB for iTunes his only storage overhead is Steam, which even with the likes of ME2 and Obliv will take a while to fill a 750. He also wont back stuff up(even with my verbal abuse for not), so it'd be nice and safe, even if he doesnt have much to lose.
    • RAM: Will go with your advise on that one.
    • Cooler: Have AMD counterpart model and it works quite well, good value for that money.
    • GPU: I suggested same, though another mate advised him against it due to the drivers. He'll probably follow what I suggest after having seen his own green team fail, along with two of mine. He'd like this to last a while.
    • Case: How good is the Antec for cooling? Once its fit it'd seldom be opened so really cooling/noise is the only issue. Brother picked up a chinese 3R systems case the other day, and at the same price(or cheaper) I have to say its a really nice case[Pics in the other thread soon as we get the desk setup and the monitor arrives]. Bottom to top cooling, and the 120mm fans are mad quiet.

With this being mainly for gaming I also put forward the idea of going with a PhenonX4 @3.2. He's a student and this would leave a whole wad of cash in his account after you change CPU and mobo. For his purposes this would give similar performance would it not?

Thanks for the input.

Advertisement