Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice - TV3

Options
  • 11-10-2011 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

After having watched the new season of the apprentice the entire under 30 group is beyond woeful and without any direction.

The over 30 group is making some mistakes along the way but those can be put down to working in a new group and I would expect them to improve week on week.

Is there any information on the selection criteria and interview process?

Obviously this is popcorn stuff and they are by and large having their hands held in relatively simple tasks but what is your opinion so far?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Critera: Huge ego, no morals, nice suit

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

It's not bad for a comedy show. I only saw the first episode but it seemed like the summary could have been watch Ireland's "top entrepreneurs" group together to make €4.65 in one day between them (or at least that was one of the teams total profit).

But it's fun to watch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

The problem is that their squeaky clean cvs all work out.. They should have picked the underhanded 12 Entrepreneurs with Little or No Cvs and see what kind of return they would have gotten on their investment..

4.65 is just beyond a joke.. I Dont see anyone even shining out yet which is pretty dissapointing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

It is like a Documentry Series/Company Video on what went wrong with this country during the boom years.

Yuppies who churn out phrases they read in Business Monthly or shows with Donald Trump in it.

Bland people with big egos who remind me of college kids who went to Dublin and came back for their first visit with a Dublin 4 accent.

I even heard one of the women in Episode 2 use the word "Super".

Apart from English World War 2 Spitfire Pilots and Ray Wilkens.....who else has used that word in the last 100 years?

Well eire i do agree on a lot of your points but super.. ??

I personally use awesome and i overheard bill saying something about "the youth in the group" when that was used. Im pushing on personally and i,ll use it till the cows come home, even my friends say im the only one that can pull it off. Weird ..

• Advertisement

Awesome is an American word....I just think the word Super sounds so out of place and stupid. Try dropping it into conversation and see the reaction you get.

The people on the Apprentice are so full of it.

Hard Work and don't spoof gets you far with Bill.
    Organization will cut out mistakes and enable you to time manage.

The Female PM last night was working on A CD which was what her day job was as a Multimedia Creator.
    If I was doing a Political Campaign as a Task and I had a Political Graduate as PM I would be there to help, learn and listen to that person.

Ego is a horrible trait and managing that is a key to working well with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

I even heard one of the women in Episode 2 use the word "Super".

Apart from English World War 2 Spitfire Pilots and Ray Wilkens.....who else has used that word in the last 100 years?

Ah now. Remember Sean Kelly? Everything was super. How was the race Sean - Super, how are your piles getting on? Super.....

Ya although i have never frequented america perhaps it was coined from my austrailian adventures..

Ye i agree on all points, i did think that said pm had a fair bit of knowledge and she did a good job, few minor mistakes but the fact that there was a ball of cameras and a prestigious offer at hand maybe nerves got the better of her..
    Not excellent but a good job overall.

Yes .. you can spot the business graduate entreprenuers a mile away, to much arrogance, little real world skills. Its unfortunate but i have yet so see a stand out yet so early in the competion which doesnt say much for the brightest bunch of future market leaders in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

This stuff is purely for TV, if it wasnt I would imagine that Chris guy would have been booted by now.
    As said already, its just ego vs ego vs ego. Its embarrassing to watch. Each person fancies themselves as the team leader, especially in the younger group. The older group are a bit more wise , so they dont over impose themselves on everything if they are not the manager.

Ive worked with many people with that type of personality in the younger group, and really they dont start being liked or respected in the job until they calm down and realize that the phrase team work has a meaning, one of the biggest ones being that you have to put your trust in other people and stop trying to run the whole show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Although in fairness to them , you are throwing a bunch of entrepreneurs together who all individually are used to being in charge of whatever business they are trying. So its natural it would get messy.

Good entertainment value though.

• Advertisement

ye i agree.. the whole country i assume including me is screaming at the tv !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

"Top entrepreneurs in Ireland" - I'm quite insulted by that given the idiots they have on it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

I suppose the thing is that the first few weeks should weed out the useless people and then we will get down to the nitty gritty part of the series.

Chris is a painful character
    Conor Browne is another one of those "inner-city boy done good" tyoes that Bill will give about 15 chances
    Eoin is the Breffney of this series-legend!!!

As for the tasks so far, it is funny how they keep repeating mistakes over and over again!!! No logo on the front of the CD, "Artist TBC", DO THESE PEOPLE NOT ACTUALLY WATCH THE SHOW!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Flogging the cds in the paper today. I think its the daily mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

I think the thing with the Apprentice is that most genuine and good entrepreneurs don't need to be on the show and don't put themselves forward. These bunch don't seem to have a clue and think being a good business person is about being heard and contradictory to the PM. Good business people don't do that and they work in a team and their involvement, added points and unique ideas set them apart. If these are the entrepreneurs the country are relying on it will be while till we are out of this recession!

The show can make you look so bad, especially if your one of the first people fired! The top Irish entrepreneurs don't need to prove themselves on the show! If you ever want to make it in business, I suggest you don't go on the show!

I did a show similar to this years ago with RTE and in defense of the lads and ladies, editing and voice overs can really hide whats truly going on sometimes. Remember the producers are making reality TV and to get the viewers they need it to be controversial. They use this as criteria of choosing the cast, to make sure we are all shouting at the screens and talking about it at the water cooler the next day.

To make someone look thick all the need to do is edit out the intelligent comments and be sure to include other comments out of context. Not saying that's whats happening, but i'd take it all with a pinch of salt.

I'm wondering though did any previous contestants start a venture after being on the show and reach the 1m+ mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

I'm wondering though did any previous contestants start a venture after being on the show and reach the 1m+ mark?

Would be a great idea for a follow up show, like they do on Dragon's Den!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

I dont know is it just the way during the show that they put up the persons name and work/job qualification but most of the ones ive seen have all been involved in "marketing" of some sort and also alot of their ideas if they can go into business is web based groupon type ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

I did a show similar to this years ago with RTE and in defense of the lads and ladies, editing and voice overs can really hide whats truly going on sometimes. Remember the producers are making reality TV and to get the viewers they need it to be controversial. They use this as criteria of choosing the cast, to make sure we are all shouting at the screens and talking about it at the water cooler the next day.

To make someone look thick all the need to do is edit out the intelligent comments and be sure to include other comments out of context. Not saying that's whats happening, but i'd take it all with a pinch of salt.

Spot on with this comment...I know someone who was on the first show and while he didn't win it he lasted awhile. The one thing he said about it was how highly edited it was. You were put under a lot of pressure, from the moment you got up at 6am the cameras were in your face in the hope of catching you off guard. He said there was some good candidates that just cracked and made basic mistakes because of the long days and the cameras, and the show was edited around these.

neris wrote: »
    I dont know is it just the way during the show that they put up the persons name and work/job qualification but most of the ones ive seen have all been involved in "marketing" of some sort and also alot of their ideas if they can go into business is web based groupon type ideas

I'd say they were chosen based on that because at the time Groupon was about to IPO for over 1Billion. Really what value ad could Bill bring to a tech start up other than capital? Good point about the Job Qualification, on the show i did I remember being classes as a "Nightclub DJ" which is how I paid the bills while getting my company off the ground at the time. They didn't mention that I was also a company director, had a degree in business and spent time teaching in UCD. The next person had "Diploma in Marketing" as her qualification. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

A bunch of people who think they're a lot smarter than they actually are, and many of who have a sad distorted view constitutes an effective business person - the bell-end bragging about having fired a 63 year old man is a case in point :rolleyes:

The Apprentice contributes to real business about as much as X-Factor contributes to real music.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Duckjob wrote: »
    A the bell-end bragging about having fired a 63 year old man is a case in point :rolleyes:QUOTE]

I saw that last night and really didnt get what his boast/point was about that.

They always go on about the contestants getting a brief for the product or service their working on but they never seem to understand the brief, read it or understand exactly what the company wants and does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Duckjob wrote: »
    - the bell-end bragging about having fired a 63 year old man is a case in point :rolleyes:

The Apprentice contributes to real business about as much as X-Factor contributes to real music.

I was appaled at that fúck wit myself, was that supposed to show how ruthless and determined he is or what? Cos all i thought was, what a dick head!
    The whole concept of the show is flawed i think, even more so than previous years. Just because they've made it through the shows format doesn't mean their business idea is anything to write home about.
    Personally if i was Bill, i wouldn't be in any hurry to jump into partnership with any of them....self serving, back stabbing, excuse making bunch of gits the lot of them

Chris to be the next out please.

I cannot stand that chap and if he entered my office with his know it all attitude he would leave quicker than he came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

As Ronan says above, these people on the show are by no means the best entrepreneurs of the applicants. They are simply chosen to make good TV with their personality clashes, mixed abilities and looks. It's just a game show.

Advertisement