Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry coat?

• 11-10-2011 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

I have a Rottweiler with skin problems, so far the vet has ruled out fleas, mange, food allergies, ringworm and all the other nasties.

He's still at himself though, he will nibble and bite at himself, often pulling out the fur and leaving hot spots and often breaking the skin. He tends to do it at night when we're not there to tell him to stop.

We were told to put fish oils in his food which should help his coat, which we're doing. He's also on skin sensitive food.

I was brushing him earlier today and his coat from his head to his back feels soft and thick. But around the bottom and lower back the hair feels thin and dry. I'm wondering if anyone has had any similar problems with their dog before, or if anyone has any advice re. the itching and coat quality?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

my border collie has similar symptoms Lisa and the vet diagnosed an allergy to dust mites after blood tests. He's fed Burns which agrees with his sensitive digestion and I've been supplementing it with omega 3 & 6 oils daily plus a tin of sardines in oil weekly which has helped a lot.

I use a hoover with HEPA filters (a dyson) and have very few carpets in the house which keeps the dust down as well but on days where he seems worse I give him half an antihistamine as well.

I should mention though that his fur is thick and glossy all over, but his skin was quite dry which the oils etc have really helped with so it may not be the same issue at all. Your vet should be able to test for allergies though which may give you more clues as to how to deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

What do you wash them?

I had to change the brand of dog shampoo I used on my Rottie, his skin was dry after I used it.. He is fine now and has no problems..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

garkane wrote: »
    What do you wash them?

I had to change the brand of dog shampoo I used on my Rottie, his skin was dry after I used it.. He is fine now and has no problems..

Rodney is rarely washed (sounds rank I know), but he's groomed daily with a slicker brush and rubber grooming tool so unless he's rolled in something really smelly he doesn't get a bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

No doesnt sound rank at all, they need the natural oils produced in their coats for this time of year anyway ;) I havnt washed Buddy now in a good while, and I agree about the not doing it unless he's rolled in something or if I'm going to a show with him.

I would thought considering he has this condition try giving him a good long soak in the bath/shower. There is only so much brushing can do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

Thanks for your replies!

@Lpfsox, our lad has a sensitive digestive system too. We have him on Eukanuba which he seems to have settled on well. We had him on Burns for a while but it didn't suit him. I've been hoovering daily and have washed his bedding at a hot temp with no fabric softener or strong chemicals but still he itches.

@Garkane, we were using a tar shampoo that came recommended from a groomer. The vet gave us a mange treatment called Aludex 50g which we tried on him this week. He seems to be chewing a little less, but maybe his coat tastes funny! :D

I know Rotties are prone to skin problems so I'm trying to get this sorted for him asap as I don't like seeing him uncomfortable. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement