Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survival Quiz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

i got 17 out of twenty :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭waterboy15

Bugger, i got 15:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'm not sure I agree with number 12

12. The best and most efficient tool in a survival kit for quickly building fire is:
    a) A small disposable Bic lighter.
    b) A hollow knife handle full of waterproof matches.
    c) Flint and steel.
    d) A knife with which you can make a bow drill to start your fires.

They say A, but I'd be inclined to say C. The Swedish firesteel is good for up to 12,000 strikes, works in the wet, the wind, is arguably more robust than the bic lighter and won't get taken off you by airport security! hmmm....

when ever i go hiking i have a fire steel around my neck, iv used it once and i used to hike twice a week or more sometimes. I also used to do night hikes and long hikes that took a day and night so a fire was a must and i always used the lighter. The one time i used the steel was when i lost the lighter and fancied a cup of coffee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭the monk5845

Tabnabs wrote: »
    They say A, but I'd be inclined to say C. The Swedish firesteel is good for up to 12,000 strikes, works in the wet, the wind, is arguably more robust than the bic lighter and won't get taken off you by airport security! hmmm....

I thought this one might come up :P in most of the kits that he talks about making up his main source of fire is a lighter and as back up he has some sort of flint or firesteel, reasons being a lighter is cheap( even most non smokers have at least one in the house), it can be used many times, is generally easier to start fires with and if u get one of the ones that have the striker(the wheel that makes the sparks that start the flame, don't know the name of it) on it it can be used as a flint when the lighter runs out and y do ppl use lighters in everyday life rather then a swedish firesteel because its just easier in general.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

when ever i go hiking i have a fire steel around my neck, iv used it once and i used to hike twice a week or more sometimes. I also used to do night hikes and long hikes that took a day and night so a fire was a must and i always used the lighter. The one time i used the steel was when i lost the lighter and fancied a cup of coffee!

Cotton wool and vaseline scrunched up in some tinfoil to keep it separate. By the time you've knelt down to get the lighter under the tinder I've got my tinder blazing away and am putting on the kindling ;)

(for the sake of ease and cost, I do accept that the lighter is very convenient and user friendly, I just haven't gotten around to getting one yet).

Cotton wool and vaseline scrunched up in some tinfoil to keep it separate. By the time you've knelt down to get the lighter under the tinder I've got my tinder blazing away and am putting on the kindling ;

This sounds like a challenge :P fastest fire making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Would wonder about question16.Having a cell phone on a trail hike though.About as useful as an ash tray on a motorbike,if there is no coverage.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

In case anyone hasn't seen the firesteel used with cotton wool and Vaseline

• Advertisement

learn somethin new every day, never knew that fair play! How much vasalene?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

When they say soaked in Vaseline.How is that done??Is the Vaseline melted into the cotton or how is it impregnated??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

it can be melted or it can just be mixed together

melted version
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjP-eTfJwMA

Stick your finger in the vaseline tub and scoop out a dollop and smudge it onto the cotton wool. Close over the cotton wool to avoid smearing the vaseline everywhere (or use tinfoil to protect everything) and when you want to use it, just tease it open again to expose the vaseline. very simple and can be done on the cheap with own brand tesco vaseline and cotton balls or pads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Would wonder about question16.Having a cell phone on a trail hike though.About as useful as an ash tray on a motorbike,if there is no coverage.
    17. IMO 16 is wrong coverage is a major concern here. On the focus ireland sponsered climb they recommended you bring both vodafone and 02.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

12. The best and most efficient tool in a survival kit for quickly building fire is:
    a) A small disposable Bic lighter.
    b) A hollow knife handle full of waterproof matches.
    c) Flint and steel.
    d) A knife with which you can make a bow drill to start your fires.

i agree (i also got that wrong)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I got 18 :(, 11 and 16 got me as my ethos would be to never trust a mobile phone.

For 12 I picked the Bic lighter so I have to agree with the quiz. I have worked with some very experienced guys and all have said the Bic.

I do like the cotton ball and Vaseline method, I will file that away. I can add that a small bit of diesel on a cotton rag has a similar effect, especially with a Bic lighter;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

krissovo wrote: »
    I got 18 :(, 11 and 16 got me as my ethos would be to never trust a mobile phone.

For 12 I picked the Bic lighter so I have to agree with the quiz. I have worked with some very experienced guys and all have said the Bic.

I do like the cotton ball and Vaseline method, I will file that away. I can add that a small bit of diesel on a cotton rag has a similar effect, especially with a Bic lighter;)

I only got 15 but fundamentally disagree with two of those , in a survival kit I would prefer flint and steel it might not be as convenient as a bic lighter but it wont leak or break.If I was camping it would be a bic every time.
    The other one I don't like is the mobile phone. Mobile phone can be a great help but you just can't rely on coverage or battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I got 8 right but im freezing @ the moment which doesnt help things!

why ya freezing dude?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Dude111 wrote: »
    I got 8 right but im freezing @ the moment which doesnt help things!

Have you made the mistake of securing beer and pretsels i mean food and water before building your shelter and fire?

Great quiz.

Vaseline and cotton wool very interesting, tesco own brand cotton wool balls very cheap,, can't find their own brand p jelly. Must add to the list for stocking up at tescos.

Agree with some of the reservations about mobile phone coverage, lots of dropped coverage on Wicklow maountains.

Also about moss on trees versus sun and stars.. well it depends on terrain, if you are in dense temperate forest and its raining you can't see the stars for the trees.

And so meof the wuestions were not sensible. Why contrast a big knife and a small knife? If you're smart you'll have more than one knife. and more thanone way to light a fire. Agree lighter is quick, but i like the fact the a fire steel can get wet.

THanks for posting the quiz, lots of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

In fairness they didn't say firesteel, they said flint and steel, which is a lot harder to use than a firesteel. :D I got 18 but disagree with some of the answers, the cellphone one in particular.

forgot about this but thought when i posted it someone would have questioned it! :)

I got 18, Cant remember the ones i got wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

forgot about this but thought when i posted it someone would have questioned it! :)

I got 18, Cant remember the ones i got wrong

I trusted you!!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

why ya freezing dude?
    We have one of those new "energy efficent" furnaces (PIECE OF CRAP) and it goes by THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE when it heats the house!

In other words,if you have the thermostat set @ 21.7 it will only heat the room to 20 or so.....

It can be made BETTER by removing the outside sensor,then it will go by HOW WARM IT IS IN THE HOUSE!! (The thermostats will tell it)

I tried to tell my parents but they wouldnt listen :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

bonniebede wrote: »
    Agree lighter is quick, but i like the fact the a fire steel can get wet.
    I think the reason they say the ligter is if it has been raining for a long time ,as it does here, it can be quite hard to get tinder to take a spark from the flint and steel unless you have some ready made in your bag like the vaseline.

I find pieces of bicycle inner tube(or other pieces of rubber) light well with the bic even when wet and can be found in a survival situation.

I have a dry bag with a bic, a clipper, slices of inner tube and some individually wrapped tampons:pac:. Hasn't let me down yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

19 due to question 12 id opt for a flint and steel rather than a lighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

17 but question the bic lighter and the mobile phoney question, agree with fire steel and the vaseline. Very enlightening post by the moderator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Just on fire steels, ignoring the guys voice in the video below :D I found the steel wool tinder a great tip, I happen to have a big roll of it right here too, just need the fire steel now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

johngalway wrote: »
    I found the steel wool tinder a great tip, I happen to have a big roll of it right here too, just need the fire steel now!
    Interesting, steel wool, haven't seen that one before except with batteries. Wonder what would happen if you put vaseline in there too? Either thermite or not much I'm guessing! :D

Advertisement