Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brisbane not working out...what to do???

Options
  • 11-10-2011 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey all,

So Im on a 1 year RTW and have just arrived in Oz after 3 months around SE Asia which I loved. Prob should have delayed flight to Brisbane but murphys law etc..... Plan was to stay in OZ til Jan.

Anyway Ive been in Brisbane about 2 weeks and Im really bored, cant find work and struggling travelling alone. Its really expensive here too. My next flight is Melbourne to NZ on Jan 20th and Im seriously thinking of just travelling east coast and then flying back to Asia for a month or that before coming back to Melbourne for the Jan flight. Even with cost of flights ..living expenses so cheap there and much more to see.

It maybe just the down period after 3 months of constant movement seeing new things...bit of back to reality. Anyway would love to hear some advise or experiences from someone in similar position?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Australia can feel a bit culturally vacuous after travelling in Asia. I haven't been to Brisbane but Melbourne is a great city maybe you'd meet some good people in a hostel there, since you're flying from there anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kevrr

Yeah it probably is a bit of a down period after traveling, been there and know how you feel, it does goes away after a while.

Having said that, Brisbane probably isn't the best place you could have come to live. If you wanted a Australian city experience, you'd probably be much better off in Melbourne or Sydney. Or if you wanted something different you could try hitting up the smaller towns, for getting jobs sometimes you're better off in these kinds of places. I was in a hostel in Mackay recently (just North of Brisbane), and there was a big notice board full of job adverts, and there's towns all the way up and down the coast like that (+ inland), some of them are really nice places (maybe not Mackay though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Batigol309 wrote: »
    Hey all,

So Im on a 1 year RTW and have just arrived in Oz after 3 months around SE Asia which I loved. Prob should have delayed flight to Brisbane but murphys law etc..... Plan was to stay in OZ til Jan.

Anyway Ive been in Brisbane about 2 weeks and Im really bored, cant find work and struggling travelling alone. Its really expensive here too. My next flight is Melbourne to NZ on Jan 20th and Im seriously thinking of just travelling east coast and then flying back to Asia for a month or that before coming back to Melbourne for the Jan flight. Even with cost of flights ..living expenses so cheap there and much more to see.

It maybe just the down period after 3 months of constant movement seeing new things...bit of back to reality. Anyway would love to hear some advise or experiences from someone in similar position?

Thanks guys

Should consider coming down the GoldCoast direction,not into the bigger cities myself,done that and been there,i'm sure you could get a casual job out this direction alot easier.

Good variaition of accommadation here too,sure to be cheaper,and the beaches ;)

What do you work at?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Thanks lads.... I have worked as Business analyst for past 3 years but that sucked the life out of me :)

As Im only travelling for a year (commitments back home) Im thinking that I should just travel east coast here and then bring forward my flights to South America...was only planning on 3 months there but theres so much to see and it will be much cheaper. I have been just hanging around job hunting for past 2 weeks and Im just thinking that Im wasting the experience. Really between two minds at the moment....money will go a lot further in South America whereas its just burning through my wallet here and I havent done anything.

I do like big cities so maybe see what Sydney and Melbourne like.....

Advertisement