Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reported offensive post twice - ignored

Options
  • 11-10-2011 4:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

I can't believe I'm taking time out of my working day to write this, but I'm highly annoyed and upset.

Yesterday I reported this post, which was sexist, condescending, and offensive. I resisted the provocation and instead of responding to the troll, I reported the post. The mod seems to have ignored it. The post has not been deleted nor neither has the offending poster been infracted or banned. I'm not sure why this is the case but I'd hazard a guess that it's because the AH mod, Mickey Dolenz, staunchly supports the protesters.

I hope someone less biased can deal with the issue appropriately. I'll be hesitant to report a post in the future after this.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Have you tried to PM any of the other AH mods to see why they didn't action the post? That's your real next course of action.

As long as you're asking though, I have no real strong opinion on the protests (except to say that I doubt what they might accomplish if anything), and I like to think I'm pretty objective. But I don't see what was wrong with the post. So you got a little teased at because you made a sweeping generalization about a group of people, calling them "idiots" and "morons" and "morons". I'm sure several of those people would be boards members who could be easily offended by the comment you made.

If anything it probably would have been fair of Dolenz, or any of the AH mods, to give you a card for your own post, irrelevant of Chocolate's post. If that's a tree you want to shake though, I suggest you wear a helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The only reason the post wasn't acted upon is because not one of the AH mods, including myself find it sexist, condescending or offensive.

Its as simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭cookies221

I gave an opinion on the protesters. AskMyChocolate made an insult specifically and unambiguously aimed at me. If the mods didn't think it was worthy of an infraction, then they should've sent me a quick PM to tell me that, rather than leaving me hanging. I thought I was being ignored.

I didn't continue to post in that specific thread because of the insults thrown at me (which woudln't have been made if I was a man. Let's face it, it was blatantly sexist. Unless Choco is gay and says that to everyone). If Mickey Dolenz or any of the other mods feel so strongly about their support of the protesters, there is a more mature and informed discussion on the topic in the Irish Economy forum. Let's see if your views stand up to scrutiny against educated posters and economists.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

cookies221 wrote: »
    I gave an opinion on the protesters. AskMyChocolate made an insult specifically and unambiguously aimed at me.

Ok you're gonna have to point out the part that you found insulting.
    If the mods didn't think it was worthy of an infraction, then they should've sent me a quick PM to tell me that, rather than leaving me hanging. I thought I was being ignored.

If i was to pm every poster who reported a post where i didn't see anything wrong with, i'd get nothing done.

I can assure you that nobldy is ignoring you. If theres no action taken on a reported post then its either nobody saw the rp or we decided that we didn't need to do anything. If you report it twice and theres still nothing being done then you should pm a mod.
    I didn't continue to post in that specific thread because of the insults thrown at me (which woudln't have been made if I was a man. Let's face it, it was blatantly sexist. Unless Choco is gay and says that to everyone).

Could you link these insulting and sexist posts please?
    If Mickey Dolenz or any of the other mods feel so strongly about their support of the protesters, there is a more mature and informed discussion on the topic in the Irish Economy forum. Let's see if your views stand up to scrutiny against educated posters and economists.

Well go and post there then. If you don't like AH, don't read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

cookies221 wrote: »
    they should've sent me a quick PM to tell me that, rather than leaving me hanging. I thought I was being ignored.

No, they shouldn't.

There are literally hundreds of reported posts every hour on this site. If mods replied to every one of them, there would be no modding and lots of PM'ing.

And to be quite frank, I think you are overplaying the whole sexism thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭cookies221

Fair enough, I wasn't aware so many posts were reported every hour. It was my first time reporting a post. I only did it because I got into trouble for responding to a provocation before (again based on my gender). I'll remind the mods of the offending post next time I'm infracted for "teasing" another poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

reads pretty condescending to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I thought it was a heart-warming and welcoming post, which was the reason for my thanking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

tbh if that post offends you you need to either stop reading AH or grow a thicker skin.

Your own post was more offensive - to Arts students, morons, idiots and Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

cookies221 I get how that post may come across as having a go personally and creepy,
    if your not happy with the response from the ah mods try the Rec Cat mods.
    Orion wrote: »
    tbh if that post offends you you need to either stop reading AH or grow a thicker skin.

Your own post was more offensive - to Arts students, morons, idiots and Starbucks.

Bit of a difference between making general comments and making specific personal remarks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Seems like a pretty dickish post to me. I've no idea of the previous between the two posters but it was obviously intended to rile her. Expect it to be brought up as an example of mod-sanctioned misogyny in the next 25-pager in Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No, they shouldn't.

There are literally hundreds of reported posts every hour on this site.
    Every day perhaps. Let's not go stretching the truth. Today theres already well over a hundred and it's not even past evening rush hour yet. Every day would easily see several hundred reports in. With volunteer staff that's still a huge volume of reports to be asked to investigate. And that's just on a normal day, nevermind when a tsunami happens or some radio personality decides it's a good day to die. So no it's not really fair to expect the mods to have to PM reporters on whether or not the reports are acted upon. Least of all After Hours, which gets a ridiculous amount of traffic, and posts, and reports in, on a daily basis.
    Seems like a pretty dickish post to me. I've no idea of the previous between the two posters but it was obviously intended to rile her. Expect it to be brought up as an example of mod-sanctioned misogyny in the next 25-pager in Feedback.
    I am pretty sure I wrote the book on 25 page feedback threads about mod sanctioned misogyny, and this aint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

If a reported post is not actioned you should PM one of the mods to ask, politely, why it was not deemed actionable.

If you still feel it should be actionalbe, PM the cmod and they will discuss it with the mods.

Closing this thread as the OP has been answered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement