Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit and notice

Options
  • 11-10-2011 5:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering, at which point should a deposit be returned. Say 1 week
    after leaving premises? What's the norm?

Also, when giving notice, should I send a registered letter, standard letter, just call the LL? This is my first tenancy so I haven't a clue!

Edit: I looked online and didn't see the property I rent on the list on the PRTB site, could the tenancy be registered or is it a case of, it's not on the list it's not registered? We're here 4 months so I expect it should
    be done by now!

Thanks for the help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Anyone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

IPAM wrote: »
    I was just wondering, at which point should a deposit be returned. Say 1 week
    after leaving premises? What's the norm?
    The norm is on the day you leave -- the landlord inspects the premises, you hand back your keys and the landlord hands back your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

if you are not very shure of your landlord, send it registered post, as for deposit, once landlord check out the place, he should then give your money back if all is ok, never give verbal notice to someone when there is money to change hands, they can say that they did not get it, writing always is best keep it to the point, no need for explaination as to why you are leaving,

Thanks for both replies :)

The LL already knows we're probably moving, I explained the situation a few weeks ago. Think I'll sed it registered just to
    be on the safe side.

Any ideas on being registered with PRTB? Hopefully we won't have any problems it's just the letting agent who set us up with the LL said she was a ***** and we would find it hard to get a deposit back from her, this was 1 week after moving in :mad: something happened between them so hopefully the letting agent was talking crap

the property is in perfect condition with no breakages so there's no reason for her to with hold any deposit but I'm a bit worried all the same

Thanks for both replies :)

The LL already knows we're probably moving, I explained the situation a few weeks ago. Think I'll sed it registered just to
    be on the safe side.

Any ideas on being registered with PRTB? Hopefully we won't have any problems it's just the letting agent who set us up with the LL said she was a ***** and we would find it hard to get a deposit back from her, this was 1 week after moving in :mad: something happened between them so hopefully the letting agent was talking crap

the property is in perfect condition with no breakages so there's no reason for her to with hold any deposit but I'm a bit worried all the same
    if you have been tipped off that the ll is a bit iffy, make sure that you send that letter, and ask the ll if they would check out premises and hand your deposit the day you are leaving the place, take pictures also, keep everything above board, and in writing, because once the ll sees the place once you have all your belongings moved out, there is no need for keeping deposit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Edit: I looked online and didn't see the property I rent on the list on the PRTB site, could the tenancy be registered or is it a case of, it's not on the list it's not registered? We're here 4 months so I expect it should
    be done by now!

The PRTB are exceptionally slow at most things (Keeping themselves in a job?). However, if the tenancy is not registered with the PRTB, it does not affect you, as tenant; you can make a claim whether or not he tenancy is registered. However, the landlord cannot make a claim against you; so being nor registered is to the tenant's benefit.

If not registered, the landlord is liable to a substantial fine.

That's exactly what I wanted to know, hopefully it won't come to that :)

That's exactly what I wanted to know, hopefully it won't come to that :)
    do you pay cash or cheque to ll, is she regersterd to pay tax on earnings of rent, have you got rent book, if it is all cash and no book, then it may be kept quiet, also are you claiming rent allowance, but make sure she sees you the day you are leaving and get your money back

I pay cash direct to LLs bank acc, she said the reciept I recieve from the bank was as good as a rent book (reciept has, my name, her account number, sort code and date on it)

I'm not claiming rent allowance, not sure if I can or not TBH

as for her paying tax.. I haven't a clue, apart from our contract we have no other paper work from the LL

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bgo1

I have lived in a number of rentals and have never got my deposit back on the same day i left, usually the landlords have inspected the property after we leave and ask you to put keys in post box and they will pay money into your account (business tax reasons traceability allegedly), most importantly it also avoids a face to face confrontation if they so want to deduct money, i think also its a case of a lot of landlords have a number of properties and the sum total of all the deposits is probably 1000's so if they wait a few weeks which i have found is typical they make a bit more in interest, even if interest is 3% its somehing on a couple of k.

• Advertisement
Advertisement