Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

powerline adapters

Options
  • 11-10-2011 6:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a pair of power line adapters for network sharing gaming on xbox and sharing files and media thus enabling my .. i'm just wondering i was looking at the different speeds...i'm looking at a 200Mb/s set but for an extra €5 there is a set that's 1Gb/s.. would i notice the extra speed while gaming on xbox live or streaming or copying files...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

U_Fig wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a pair of power line adapters for network sharing gaming on xbox and sharing files and media thus enabling my .. i'm just wondering i was looking at the different speeds...i'm looking at a 200Mb/s set but for an extra €5 there is a set that's 1Gb/s.. would i notice the extra speed while gaming on xbox live or streaming or copying files...

Where did you find ones with speed on 1Gb? Link would be great.

With the xbox it wont make a difference what speed you get.
    With sharing an media it depends on what its coming from and going to. Say you going to stream from your pc. Does your pc have a gigabit NIC does your end device? You will only go as fast as your slowest component. Im using devolo AVmini 200

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Doylers wrote: »
    Where did you find ones with speed on 1Gb? Link would be great.

With the xbox it wont make a difference what speed you get.
    With sharing an media it depends on what its coming from and going to. Say you going to stream from your pc. Does your pc have a gigabit NIC does your end device? You will only go as fast as your slowest component. Im using devolo AVmini 200

there's the 1Gb/s ones here .. the other ones are roughly €5 cheaper than these..my TV has 1Gb/ and so does my router and PC..i'm not sure about the xbox360 tho it's thefirst model

there's the 1Gb/s ones here .. the other ones are roughly €5 cheaper than these..my TV has 1Gb/ and so does my router and PC..i'm not sure about the xbox360 tho it's thefirst model

I knew it was to good to be true, three belkin the worst make on the planet :p If it were my money I wouldnt buy them. I would drop speed and get http://www.devolo.com/consumer/82_dlan-500-avplus_starter-kit_product-presentation_1.html?l=en . But at least you know you will get the full speed since your gear is 1Gbs

i've heard a few good reviews of the belkin ones but i'll take ur advise they do seem a lil too good to be true.. i was also looking at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004INVKP4/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21

i'd settle for 200mb/s i think i don't want to break the €100 mark...

i've heard a few good reviews of the belkin ones but i'll take ur advise they do seem a lil too good to be true.. i was also looking at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004INVKP4/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21

i'd settle for 200mb/s i think i don't want to break the €100 mark...

Tp-link are good people on boards would usually recommend them also. Just remember that you wont usally get the full speed advertised but close enough if setup properly your should

• Advertisement

Doylers wrote: »

Tp-link are good people on boards would usually recommend them also. Just remember that you wont usally get the full speed advertised but close enough if setup properly your should

Cheers Im gonna order then tp-link ones I know I won't get the full advertised speed but if it'll stream hd files and audio to my pc it'll be grand

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Despite the fact you'll never get the full speed, 200Mbps should be more than enough. I have 200Mbps linksys powerline adapters connecting my desktop to my router and I can stream Full HD movies across them with no problems. Lag is extremely low as well so perfect for gaming.

I got the tp-link ones off amazon and I've had zero trouble plugged them in and they worked straight away...havn't done much streaming cause my router packed in so I has to revert to the default WiMAX one which doesn't do anything except bridge..but for gaming on xbox live it's brilliant.

Advertisement