Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Financial Aid

Options
  • 11-10-2011 7:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

Lad's looking for a bit of help here. I'll try keep it short.

I have a full medical card. A few weeks ago I start suffering with some tooth pain. Made an appointment and got a check up. They told me I need 2 root canals and 9 fillings. I'd have to pay €1,500 myself to get the work done even with the medical card.

I can't afford it, not even close to the amount their asking. However I can't really put up with this pain anymore either. I'm in absolute agony the last 3 or so days. Painkillers intensify the pain. The whole side of my face has throbbing pain right up to my ear. Is there any sort of aid you can apply for if your in my situation? Or am I kinda stuck with either pain or a €1,500 bill?

Even writing this post was difficult with the pain. I get around 3 hours sleep max at night with it. Hoping someone can offer some sort of solution.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

the medical card will pay for extractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

the medical card will pay for extractions.

Yeah but they're teeth toward the front that are noticeable. That's kind of a very last resort for me. Im only 21 and don't fancy havin my teeth having gaps on both sides.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op, you generally wont be able to get a payment plan as the treatment will be done probably over 2 or 3 appointments.

Is it possible you can ask a family member for a loan?
    In all cases try and keep your own teeth.

Op, you generally wont be able to get a payment plan as the treatment will be done probably over 2 or 3 appointments.

Is it possible you can ask a family member for a loan?
    In all cases try and keep your own teeth.

I agree that's what I'm going for I don't want to be loosing molars at such a young age. Don't think a loan is even an option. My weekly income is only €100 so even to pay one back would be quite some time. I think I'm stuck dealing with the pain though. Or getting them pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Maybe you could sell some of your Apple gear. I know I'd rather keep my front teeth than an iPhone any day of the week!

Would the Dublin Dental Hospital be an option?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op your credit union may be able to help (if you are in one) if not then family members are probably the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

It's highly unlikely that the teeth that require two root canals and 9 fillings are all causing pain at the same time so just get the one/two teeth that are causing pain treated now and stage the remaining treatment over the next few weeks or months....

OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

The medical card will cover two fillings and thats it.
    Agree with oralsurgeon. Get your dentist to clarify which teeth are the cause of the pain and get those sorted first and then save for the rest/get them done over time.

Do you have private medical insurance/dental insurance?
    I recently had some dental work covered on my VHI. The exam and two fills were covered on my medical card and the rest (cleaning and some fillings) were mostly covered on my dental insurance and my VHI covered me in full for a surgical gum treatment. The work would have cost nearly 2k but I only paid about €120 out of my own pocket.

Edited to add: there is a social welfare payment available from the community welfare officer. It's called an exceptional needs payment. Find out when and where the community welfare officer is in your area and go and explain the situation. Bring an estimate/treatment plan from the dentist. I don't know if it will do any good as payment is at the discretion of the welfare officer but it might be worth a shot.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/exceptional_needs_payments.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Get whatever tooth is causing pain extracted and get the fillings done as soon as you can afford to pay for them,eg 1 filling a fortnight for the next 3 months.
    You are 21 and have rampant decay.Chances are the teeth that "need" root canal will probably need crowns as well,which will cost another 1,500.As a dentist I wouldnt suggest anyone investing this amount of money in expensive treatment until they have got the rampant decay under control,ie 6 months with no new cavities.

Thanks for the helps lads. Unfortunately no I've no family that could afford to loan me the money and not in a credit union either. That link on citizensinformation is the kind of thing in looking for. I'll take a trip to the office hope lot tomorrow and see if I can even get the root canals covered I'd be happy with that.

• Advertisement

If you're able to afford a €2000+ Macbook Pro, I doubt the CWO would be willing to offer an exceptional needs payment..

One i've been putting money away every week for over a year and a half for. Also it was my 21st birthday this summer and I was finally able to afford it. I can't well deal with this pain for a year and a half to pay for it. Besides it is none of your business how I spend my money. I asked a simple question I didn't ask you to go through my previous post history.

Sorry, I'm just fed up with hearing about people immediately thinking they're "entitled" to something, usually benefits. As you say, you're free to spend your money as you like, but if you decide to spend it on high end electronic goods then I, as a tax payer, am not going to finance your dental issues.

harpsman wrote: »
    Get whatever tooth is causing pain extracted and get the fillings done as soon as you can afford to pay for them,eg 1 filling a fortnight for the next 3 months.
    You are 21 and have rampant decay.Chances are the teeth that "need" root canal will probably need crowns as well,which will cost another 1,500.As a dentist I wouldnt suggest anyone investing this amount of money in expensive treatment until they have got the rampant decay under control,ie 6 months with no new cavities.

In case you think I don't take care of my teeth I do. I brush twice and day and have for the last 8 years or so. However I haven't had a dentist visit since my early teens. Never had cause to as I never suffered with any pain or discomfort. People generally comment on how clean and white my teeth look. I don't want a gap on both sides of my teeth for the rest of my life. I will look at my options to sort this but extraction really is a last resort for me.
    irlrobins wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm just fed up with hearing about people immediately thinking they're "entitled" to something, usually benefits. As you say, you're free to spend your money as you like, but if you decide to spend it on high end electronic goods then I, as a tax payer, am not going to finance your dental issues.

Well the fact is it wasn't a choice between the two. The dental problems I'm suffering with now only happened the last few days. After I paid and received my MacBook. I've been working since I'm 16 also. Alongside school. The past year however I've been unable to find any work whatsoever. And instead I took up a full time college course. I know your trying to say I'm "scabbing off the government" but I'm not. I've been working since I've been legally alowed to. And now, as the same with most people, I can't find work so have resorted to social welfare.

I'm sorry but I'm sick and tired of people thinking their above everyone else because their lucky enough to have a job and pay tax. Also I pay tax every day too. The government gets tax from sources other than Income tax you know. I hate ignorant behaviour like yours. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I never go out on weekends. I live on a low modest income whilst in college. I've cut back highly to afford my MacBook for over 18 months. And you think I deserve to go through severe dental pain because of this.

Thanks for everyone who genuinely contributed to this thread though. I appriciate it :D

Well that kind of clears the air and explains things nicely :D.

It is possible to get emergency relief of pain on the med card. The teeth requiring RCT can be "dressed". (called 1st stage endo by some people). Only applies to front 6 teeth though.

This, together with painkillers and antibiotics will get you out of pain and past the emmergency stage. Unfortunately there is no guarantee how long it will last. a few days to a few months. But it will buy you time and you could then arrange an appointment in Dublin Dental Hosp. A bit of a waiting list but much cheaper and good work.

As for your fillings, get 2 done in 2011, and 2 more in 2012. That's 4 done by end of Jan/12.

PS, med card may very well pay for ALL your treatment in the dental hosp, provided you are still alive when they call you from the waiting list (kidding)

Well that kind of clears the air and explains things nicely :D.

It is possible to get emergency relief of pain on the med card. The teeth requiring RCT can be "dressed". (called 1st stage endo by some people). Only applies to front 6 teeth though.

This, together with painkillers and antibiotics will get you out of pain and past the emmergency stage. Unfortunately there is no guarantee how long it will last. a few days to a few months. But it will buy you time and you could then arrange an appointment in Dublin Dental Hosp. A bit of a waiting list but much cheaper and good work.

As for your fillings, get 2 done in 2011, and 2 more in 2012. That's 4 done by end of Jan/12.

PS, med card may very well pay for ALL your treatment in the dental hosp, provided you are still alive when they call you from the waiting list (kidding)

When I first went and was told what was wrong they did prescribe me painkillers and antibiotics. Didn't do much. Plus I'm already on a lot of medication from a different illness and don't like adding to that list.

That's exactly my plan. 2 + 2 but still gonna need €500 for the other 5 fillings. I'd be happy enough just getting the root canal's done. I'll get one filling per month after that as the pain would be gone and i'd be able to afford to wait.

Do you know much about the Dental Hospital? I really don't trust most dentists as i've heard more than one extremely bad story from them. Is it trainee's doing the work or something different?

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

A lot of the work in the Dental Hospital is done by students who are supervised - I had work done there years ago and it went extremely well - no complaints here.

+1. the quality of work in the dental school will be fine.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to wait any longer the pain was too much last night. Had to gargle ice water every 30 seconds for around 12 hours. It was an experience I don't want to repeat.

Anyways I managed to get an appointment at 8.30am and they got started on a root canal on the problem tooth. Only had to pay €100 up front so I was happy with that. But I would of accepted any amount to get rid of the pain I was in to be honest haha.

Anyways thanks for the help lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭m1nder

DubDJ wrote: »
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to wait any longer the pain was too much last night. Had to gargle ice water every 30 seconds for around 12 hours. It was an experience I don't want to repeat.

Anyways I managed to get an appointment at 8.30am and they got started on a root canal on the problem tooth. Only had to pay €100 up front so I was happy with that. But I would of accepted any amount to get rid of the pain I was in to be honest haha.

Anyways thanks for the help lads.

An appointment where? The Dental Hospital ??? How? Where did you get the money?

• Advertisement

m1nder wrote: »
    An appointment where? The Dental Hospital ??? How? Where did you get the money?

Nope I had been to **mod edit no names** when I first suffered with the pain. So I said id go again to save the time explaining. Plus they took my call at 7.30 which was probably early for any dentist. I had start saving since I was first told the work I needed and had €150 in the bank. So I made sure I didn't have to pay all at once. Otherwise I would of opted for an extraction. Also they told me now it is €350 per filling??? At first they said €500. That concerned me a little. Changing prices like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

DubDj glad you are getting sorted. No names please.

DubDj glad you are getting sorted. No names please.

Sorry didn't realise. What's the reasoning behind mentioning no names?

Advertisement