Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescription costs!!!!

Options
  • 11-10-2011 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

The OH is on tablets for stents which means for life........they are quite costly and as we live in a small village, there is only one pharmacy. We are thinking of using another pharmacy in a large town where the OH works.

Someone said to me that the cost of filling a prescription can be more competitive in bigger towns and even the cost of the tablets can vary?

Can anyone confirm this or have experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

suitseir wrote: »
    The OH is on tablets for stents which means for life........they are quite costly and as we live in a small village, there is only one pharmacy. We are thinking of using another pharmacy in a large town where the OH works.

Someone said to me that the cost of filling a prescription can be more competitive in bigger towns and even the cost of the tablets can vary?

Can anyone confirm this or have experience of this?

Make sure to apply for a Drug Payments Scheme card.(DPS) This will mean that the maximum expenditure on drugs for your whole family for a month would be €120. The DPS card is not income related.

If your income is moderate then you could apply for a Doctor Visit card, which means you will not have to pay your GP.

For drug expenditure below €120 per month, there is competition between pharmacies. Don't assume that city is cheaper than country. If your local pharmacy is in a high rent shopping centre, then they may be charging more than in a pharmacy that is owned and run by an Independent pharmacist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

A particular bugbear of mine.

Some discussion of this before HERE

Advertisement