Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Dublin expands - Booterstown

Options
  • 11-10-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Every time I pass by Merrion Gates on the train I look out and marvel at the little bit of South Dublin which is expanding out into the bay - http://maps.google.com/maps?q=dublin&hl=en&ll=53.31375,-6.198328&spn=0.006499,0.019205&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.273162,78.662109&vpsrc=6&hnear=Dublin,+County+Fingal,+Ireland&t=h&z=16

I've no photo evidence, but I'm sure that about 15 years ago this was very much smaller. As a matter of interest, Does anyone know if this area is in any way managed or protected ?

On the google image you can just about pick out the outflow at the northen extremity of the spit (where the words for the service station are). When you pass now you can see that much of the area which was under water in that part of the google image is now dried out and covered in vegetation. I can't see the spit continuing further north because the flow from the outflow is likely to prevent further build-up.

z

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

depending on tidal flows it probably dragging sand and sediment from south dub/wicklow up until that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The tide never touches that area of white sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

In time it will form a tombolo and become the Howth of the southside. Make your claim now as it will be worth massive money in years to come. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    In time it will form a tombolo and become the Howth of the southside. Make your claim now as it will be worth massive money in years to come. :cool:

How many years oh wise one?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

How many years oh wise one?

Few thousand is all! :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement