Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else interested in getting a roller derby group up and going in Sligo???

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I'm not a student, and just going on the posts in the thread I get the impression that most people weren't students, more in the 20-40 age category.

Yeah I think limiting it to students would be really restrictive. I'm not in the iT but would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sligo22

Hello All,
    T'was myself who originally posted this thread... can't believe its been nearly 2 years since I did o.0 wowzers!! I, over a year ago moved down the country to Tipperary! But... I have actually just got in contact with a group of lovely ladies down here and we are in the process of starting a team here :D

All I can say is DO IT!!! Would love to see a team in Sligo!! We had our first skating session today and its great fun altogether... I seriously only wish I had had the time to get skating sooner!!

We have had soooo much support from all the other derby teams in the country, so many offers from skaters with the established teams offering to come and do training sessions with us... it really has been fab. everyone loves the sport so much and is just really glad to see it spreading to another county!

My advice would be to start a Sligo roller derby page on Facebook and post it to the Irish roller derby FB page and any other derby related pages in Ireland...once the likes start coming you can then ask people to contact ye Via the page if they are interested in getting involved....once ye have a handful of committed people just get your skates on get going :) it really was that simple for us, and whilst we are still in the baby stages here in Tipp, things are all starting to fall into place :)

C'mon guys make it happen.... Derby everywhere!!

Derby love from the sunny south east,
    Grace- Tipperary Roller girls x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Sligo22 wrote: »
    Hello All,
    T'was myself who originally posted this thread... can't believe its been nearly 2 years since I did o.0 wowzers!! I, over a year ago moved down the country to Tipperary! But... I have actually just got in contact with a group of lovely ladies down here and we are in the process of starting a team here :D

All I can say is DO IT!!! Would love to see a team in Sligo!! We had our first skating session today and its great fun altogether... I seriously only wish I had had the time to get skating sooner!!

We have had soooo much support from all the other derby teams in the country, so many offers from skaters with the established teams offering to come and do training sessions with us... it really has been fab. everyone loves the sport so much and is just really glad to see it spreading to another county!

My advice would be to start a Sligo roller derby page on Facebook and post it to the Irish roller derby FB page and any other derby related pages in Ireland...once the likes start coming you can then ask people to contact ye Via the page if they are interested in getting involved....once ye have a handful of committed people just get your skates on get going :) it really was that simple for us, and whilst we are still in the baby stages here in Tipp, things are all starting to fall into place :)

C'mon guys make it happen.... Derby everywhere!!

Derby love from the sunny south east,
    Grace- Tipperary Roller girls x

Congrats on the move, and everything seems to be going well for you!

I'd offer to do it, but I am not sporty in the slightest, am v v unfit, so underqualified for taking the lead! But would love to be involved some way!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cmerush2dstars

Hey,

Just discovered this page as I'm thinking about moving to Sligo and roller derby would be a big plus. At the moment I live in Inverness and I'm part of the team there. It's a really great sport and not too hard to learn. On the team itself we have woman from all walks of life and of all sorts of ages. If I do I do move to Sligo, I would be very very happy to help set something up. I saw someone ask if the wheels affect the floor and the answer is no, as roller derby is an indoor sport. And you can get references from where other teams train if somewhere kicks up a fuss about damaging a hall. Having a derby team to join would be a major plus to move to Sligo.

Claire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

dingding wrote: »
    If you are students in IT Sligo it might be worth talking to the students union about setting up a club next year. They give some funding and I think it might cover the Insurance as a student activity.

You could then have a stand on Clubs and Socities day to see if there is any interest.

In case there are any students interested, the Clubs and Socs days are coming up soon and the students union can advise about setting up a club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Humria

It sounds like good craic! I'm not that familiar with the sport but I'd be happy to help out in organising if there are a few of us that could get together to figure it out. Anyone willing?

Advertisement